By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Scalebound Cancelled

Normchacho said:
Mr Puggsly said:

We don't really know if the game was any good but it seemed pretty unique. But it could have also been another Recore in regard to quality.

This is my thinking aswell. I was talking to a friend about this scenario today and I mentioned that I think if Recore, and to a lesser extent Quantum Break had done better (both commercially and critically) then they may have been more likely to be more lenient with Scalebound but they just aren't willing to lose money on another unknown quanity.

Agreed.

They've had some bad luck with 3rd party games. DR4 is another project they threw money at without receiving much fanfare.

I feel like Scalebound should have just been a Bayonetta and DMC type game. Probably would have been cheaper to create and people would have been excited for another one of those from Platinum.

MS has big plans for X1, curious to see what direction they go for exclusive titles. I don't think they'll rely soley on established IPs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
celador said:
Normchacho said:

I honestly think the PS4 needs a new FPS. With Guerilla working on Horizon I think Sony needs to find another team to make a AAA exclusive shooter far more than they need another racing game.

After Mercenary on Vita, I would like to see Guerrilla Cambridge make another Killzone 

YES. Cambridge did a great job. I would be fine with that studio taking the reins.

Mr Puggsly said:
Normchacho said:

This is my thinking aswell. I was talking to a friend about this scenario today and I mentioned that I think if Recore, and to a lesser extent Quantum Break had done better (both commercially and critically) then they may have been more likely to be more lenient with Scalebound but they just aren't willing to lose money on another unknown quanity.

Agreed.

They've had some bad luck with 3rd party games. DR4 is another project they threw money at without receiving much fanfare.

I feel like Scalebound should have just been a Bayonetta and DMC type game. Probably would have been cheaper to create and people would have been excited for another one of those from Platinum.

MS has big plans for X1, curious to see what direction they go for exclusive titles. I don't think they'll rely soley on established IPs.

Yeah, it probably would have been a safer bet to make a more traditional Platinum game, and then see how that went and if it made sense to work on a larger project together. But I'm sure Microsoft wanted a big Japanese project they could show off and Platinum likely wanted to show that they could make a larger scale game. Sadly, it blew up on them.

I do think Microsofts E3 this year is going to be really interesting. Mostly because they've been focusing a lot on hardware lately and they seem to be running a little thin on the games they had announced up to this point which I don't mean as a dig, but they don't seem to have a ton on the way for the second half of 2017 and beyond other than the obvious Halo 6, Forza 7, ect.

Oh, and if anyone at Microsoft is reading this...Rise of Nations 2, Rise of Nations 2, Rise of Nations 2.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

LudicrousSpeed said:
GribbleGrunger said:

They're just keeping face to try and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Nothing says "smooth transition off of consoles" like releasing two new consoles. Oh wait, I forget the Scorpio doesn't actually exist.

You mean two revisions of the same console.  The S was going to happen no matter what.  Well, unless the XBO had only sold like 5M.  Why?  Because it's a cost cutting measure by MS.  The S is cheaper to produce and ship.

As for the Scorpio, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed as a Windows VR gaming box when it finally launches.  We'll see later this year.  All I know is given all of the steps MS has taken to slowly step away from Xbox, including spending less and less on it, if Scorpio isn't a hit, MS is going to reconsider keeping it around.  If the founder and 2nd largest shareholder is okay spinning it off, I doubt many involved would have too much of a problem with it, either.

ktay95 said:
thismeintiel said:

It is strange that that game seems to be taking forever.

They saw how popular it was and so decided to expand, adding platforming levels and a bunch more bosses. Problem is every single frame of an animation has to be drawn and that takes a lot of time. What's worse is that it looks like while it was popular when revealed people are cooling on the project or forgetting it exists.

Yea, I get that same feeling.  I keep forgetting the name of it every now and then.  Someone will be posting about it and I'll be like, "Cuphead, what the hell is Cuphead?"  Then, I look it up and I'm like, "Oh yea, that cool game that looks like an old Disney cartoon."  Fortunately, though, it seems that the devs have retained the IP and publishing rights, so it may end up being a timed exclusive.  Hopefully, it'll wind up on the PS4.  Possibly even Switch.

This is sad.

Around the Network

its interesting to do a récap of MS E3 2014 now , the one people thought it was great because of many announcements :

- Halo 5 announcement

- Phantom Dust Announcement = CANCELLED

- Scalebound Announcement = CANCELLED

- Crackdown 3 Announcement = still waiting after almost 3 years.
That shows à new picture of conférence when you go back in time to debunk vaporwares

To think people used to say Microsoft conferences have thé advantage to show only concrète stuff coming soon...

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Scorpio must have been to beefy for Scalebound. lol

Anyways, this is crappy for everyone that was excited about it. So far MS has kept up their old ways, which is why I have never been a big fan of them in the console market. I look forward to getting a Scorpio later this year for Halo, Gears, and Forza, but other than that Xbox is just, well, Xbox.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Aerys said:

its interesting to do a récap of MS E3 2014 now , the one people thought it was great because of many announcements :

- Halo 5 announcement

That shows à new picture of conférence when you go back in time to debunk vaporwares

To think people used to say Microsoft conferences have thé advantage to show only concrète stuff coming soon...

Shht don't  tell people  that!

Only sony  announces  games 7 years up front  and delays it.

Microsoft  doesn't  do it.

And definitely  ninty  does  not  do it.

Ow wait...... 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
Aerys said:

- Halo 5 announcement

Shht don't  tell people  that!

Only sony  announces  games 7 years up front  and delays it.

Microsoft  doesn't  do it.

And definitely  ninty  does  not  do it.

Ow wait...... 

Thé most ironical part is that proportionally to their number of games compared to the 2 others, Sony are thé best when it comes  to deliver "quickly" announced sony games on this génération 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Normchacho said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Agreed.

Yeah, it probably would have been a safer bet to make a more traditional Platinum game, and then see how that went and if it made sense to work on a larger project together. But I'm sure Microsoft wanted a big Japanese project they could show off and Platinum likely wanted to show that they could make a larger scale game. Sadly, it blew up on them.

I do think Microsofts E3 this year is going to be really interesting. Mostly because they've been focusing a lot on hardware lately and they seem to be running a little thin on the games they had announced up to this point which I don't mean as a dig, but they don't seem to have a ton on the way for the second half of 2017 and beyond other than the obvious Halo 6, Forza 7, ect.

Oh, and if anyone at Microsoft is reading this...Rise of Nations 2, Rise of Nations 2, Rise of Nations 2.

Its certainly possible to make a hack n' slash game with large enviornments. But maybe MS insisted on a multplayer focused experience. We don't really know and MS took the hit on this one.

Almost everything MS has coming may be on the second half of 2017. I expect a Halo 3 remaster (10th anniversary), Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Sea of Theives, Forza 7, and they generally surprise us with something coming soon at E3. Maybe another timed exclusive. This is also a big year for multiplats.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)