By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Scalebound Cancelled

SvennoJ said:

More hardware power doesn't have to translate to huge development cost, yet sadly, hugely detailed open worlds is what is expected nowadays to justify that hardware power. Add 4 player co-op with endless gameplay and development soon spirals out of control. 

If you want to talk open world then that is coherent... but original post did NOT actually contain that argument.
"Too much stuff" as you wrote in original post was hardly specific or detailed enough to respond to in first place.
That's why I cut it out along with other stuff that didn't contain coherent point to which I could respond. 
Maybe in your mind that alluded to openworld, but it didn't actually make the point clearly much less expound on it.

But realistically, re: open world in general, Nintendo is also doing it and everybody is happy with that.  
Small studios can do open world as seen with CD Projekt.  Open world sandbox and multiplayer, yeah sure, of course.
Of course, no reason they couldn't have non-openworld multiplayer component "within" open-world single player.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Normchacho said:

1. A hardcore gamer is going to spend more money. They'll buy more games, and be more likely to buy DLC.

2. Hardcore gamers are more likely to get the word out about a system. They're more likely to work at Gamestops and in electronics departments, they're more likely to comment on videos and articles, they're more likely to talk to their more casual friends about what they like and are playing.

Excellent points that I see for the first time posted even though they make so much sense. I seriously couldn't agree more.

It's obvious. It's the same reason they do PSX every year and the reason they HAD to release TLG. TLG is worth way more to Sony as a way to keep people talking about Playstation and as something they can hold up and say "See! We said we'd do it and we fucking did it!" than it ever was as a direct financial proposition.

It's the reason we're getting remasters of Patapon, Locoroco, Parrapa the rapper, and the N-sane trilogy. They're really small investments on Sonys part that will probably only make a little bit of money on their own but generate a lot of traffic and buzz.

It's just a way more effective version of Microsoft talking about Scorpio once a week.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

This just seems to be a continuation of MS's new plan: focus on Windows and Windows gaming. Which includes focusing on it a great deal at E3. They are just spending less and less on Xbox right now. Getting rid of studios and their games, as well as 3rd party advertising and exclusives. I think they gave Phil a certain amount of time and cash to improve their standing in the market, but it really hasn't panned out.

They have the Scorpio coming out this year but what are they going to use to push it? Slighty better looking multiplats and their declining 1st party offerings? All this for only $449-$499, which will probably go against a $299-$349 Pro. Like I have said in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they push the Scorpio just as much as a Windows VR gaming machine as they do as a Xbox.

For PG and gamer's sake, I hope Sony or Nintendo pick up this franchise. Hopefully help them along if they are having any kind of problems with it.

Normchacho said:
naruball said:

Excellent points that I see for the first time posted even though they make so much sense. I seriously couldn't agree more.

It's obvious. It's the same reason they do PSX every year and the reason they HAD to release TLG. TLG is worth way more to Sony as a way to keep people talking about Playstation and as something they can hold up and say "See! We said we'd do it and we fucking did it!" than it ever was as a direct financial proposition.

It's the reason we're getting remasters of Patapon, Locoroco, Parrapa the rapper, and the N-sane trilogy. They're really small investments on Sonys part that will probably only make a little bit of money on their own but generate a lot of traffic and buzz.

It's just a way more effective version of Microsoft talking about Scorpio once a week.

Definitely agree.  Though, I do think the Crash Trilogy is going to do quite well.  I was actually worried before that it wouldn't turn out good, but it's actually a 1:1 of the original games, only with better models/textures/effects.  That should please quite a few fans.

Well, the last gameplay I saw from it looked like ass so good riddance I say.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Normchacho said:

Definitely agree.  Though, I do think the Crash Trilogy is going to do quite well.  I was actually worried before that it wouldn't turn out good, but it's actually a 1:1 of the original games, only with better models/textures/effects.  That should please quite a few fans.

Yeah, that's true. I was actually really surprised at how much work seems to have gone into Crash.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

This seems to be Microsoft's strategy as of late. I hope Cuphead survives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

In Cuphead's favor, even if MS did cancel funding for it, it's the type of game that would pick up another publisher really quick.  Or at the very least, be crowdfunded within days.

mutantsushi said:
SvennoJ said:

More hardware power doesn't have to translate to huge development cost, yet sadly, hugely detailed open worlds is what is expected nowadays to justify that hardware power. Add 4 player co-op with endless gameplay and development soon spirals out of control. 

If you want to talk open world then that is coherent... but original post did NOT actually contain that argument.
"Too much stuff" as you wrote in original post was hardly specific or detailed enough to respond to in first place.
That's why I cut it out along with other stuff that didn't contain coherent point to which I could respond. 
Maybe in your mind that alluded to openworld, but it didn't actually make the point clearly much less expound on it.

But realistically, re: open world in general, Nintendo is also doing it and everybody is happy with that.  
Small studios can do open world as seen with CD Projekt.  Open world sandbox and multiplayer, yeah sure, of course.
Of course, no reason they couldn't have non-openworld multiplayer component "within" open-world single player.

Ah ok, it's not just open world though. The order 1886 is the other side of the coin, but did get finished at least, and lambasted for lack of content.

Btw CD Project is not a small studio anymore. Witcher 3 had a $81 million budget, $1 million a week and now has 370 employees. They admitted themselves that they had to go multiplat with consoles to make it possible instead of staying PC exclusive. And Breath of the wild needs a new handheld / console hybrid to make it profitable :p

Anyway seems like it was a clash of visions. MS wanted something different from the game than the devs were originally planning to make.

thismeintiel said:
Signalstar said:

In Cuphead's favor, even if MS did cancel funding for it, it's the type of game that would pick up another publisher really quick.  Or at the very least, be crowdfunded within days.

Not to mention dropping a finished game is stupid. That game could have released as early as January 2016, the only reason it's still in development is to add content. If MS wanted that game released it would be, I guess they don't mind letting the devs continue to expand the game though.