By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Scalebound Cancelled

Man, that is just a real bummer. They should have at least finished the game. Now all that work done on it just seems like a waste...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
thismeintiel said:

In Cuphead's favor, even if MS did cancel funding for it, it's the type of game that would pick up another publisher really quick.  Or at the very least, be crowdfunded within days.

Not to mention dropping a finished game is stupid. That game could have released as early as January 2016, the only reason it's still in development is to add content. If MS wanted that game released it would be, I guess they don't mind letting the devs continue to expand the game though. 

It is strange that that game seems to be taking forever.

Normchacho said:
naruball said:

Excellent points that I see for the first time posted even though they make so much sense. I seriously couldn't agree more.

It's obvious. It's the same reason they do PSX every year and the reason they HAD to release TLG. TLG is worth way more to Sony as a way to keep people talking about Playstation and as something they can hold up and say "See! We said we'd do it and we fucking did it!" than it ever was as a direct financial proposition.

It's the reason we're getting remasters of Patapon, Locoroco, Parrapa the rapper, and the N-sane trilogy. They're really small investments on Sonys part that will probably only make a little bit of money on their own but generate a lot of traffic and buzz.

It's just a way more effective version of Microsoft talking about Scorpio once a week.

Exactly. Whenever I see people say "x game helped x console by pushing hardware sales by x amount" I always find it frustrating. As if the impact of a game can me measured based on a single week's sales. It goes so much beyond that, it's not even funny.

Take Uncharted 4, for example. I'll never play it because I don't like the genre but when I think of what good games ps4 has, I always include it. Same when I was thinking which console to buy back in the day (ps3 or 360). I went with a ps3 for a more varried library, even though many of those games didn't really interest me. But they sure helped the brand. If people see an xbox console as a halo/forza/gears machine, it doesn't matter if it's true. MS has failed. Same with Sony and psvita. Had they done a better job with first party games, it wouldn't be perceived as an indie/visual novel machine. It has so many other genres to offer but they get ignored. Why? Because there aren't enough. Or at least enough high profile ones. MS will suffer from a similar stigma.

Kerotan said:
Vasto said:
Say it aint so.

OT: Very bad news for Microsoft.  A big blow for their line up for sure. 

Its certainly seems like a blow, kinda makes you wonder what direction MS is going. But was this game REALLY that important to Xbox One? Not really, it would have probably been a cult classic at best. I am personally disappointed its not happening though.

We don't really know if the game was any good but it seemed pretty unique. But it could have also been another Recore in regard to quality.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thismeintiel said:
ktay95 said:

Not to mention dropping a finished game is stupid. That game could have released as early as January 2016, the only reason it's still in development is to add content. If MS wanted that game released it would be, I guess they don't mind letting the devs continue to expand the game though. 

It is strange that that game seems to be taking forever.

They saw how popular it was and so decided to expand, adding platforming levels and a bunch more bosses. Problem is every single frame of an animation has to be drawn and that takes a lot of time. What's worse is that it looks like while it was popular when revealed people are cooling on the project or forgetting it exists.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
jason1637 said:

Why did they make the XB1s and planning on releasing scorpio if they dont care about consoles?

They're just keeping face to try and make the transition as smooth as possible.

Nothing says "smooth transition off of consoles" like releasing two new consoles. Oh wait, I forget the Scorpio doesn't actually exist.

Well.... Fuck. I was really looking forward to it.

Mr Puggsly said:

We don't really know if the game was any good but it seemed pretty unique. But it could have also been another Recore in regard to quality.

This is my thinking aswell. I was talking to a friend about this scenario today and I mentioned that I think if Recore, and to a lesser extent Quantum Break had done better (both commercially and critically) then they may have been more likely to be more lenient with Scalebound but they just aren't willing to lose money on another unknown quanity.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

The game looked like shit from the first game play showing and it got worse as it progressed.Remember when this get was getting hyped looool.

XBOX is becoming more and more pointless. The only reason to buy a console is the exclusives (since I only play multiplats on PC). And in this department XBOX is disappointing.