Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Scalebound Cancelled

naruball said:
Snoopy said:

Losing money is never good for the brand. Sony showed us FF13 versus and Rock star exclusive games that were canned, but that didn't hurt nearly as much because they probably didn't lose a lot of money. Losing money hurts a brand because it limits what you can do in the future. 

Nope. Not even remotely close. It just doesn't work that way. Not making the game would have been fine. After funding the development for years, canceling it would have cost them more than it did now. At least now they can make some of it back AND have another well received exclusive in their arsenal. What you mention would have worked only if it was cancelled much earlier on and by that time they simply didn't know it was facing problems. Keep in mind that the game would have come out much sooner had Sony not asked them to make it for ps4 instead and then having to do a lot of work to achieve that.

In the end, it worked out. Even if it's not perfect, it's much better than canned.

The biggest costs of a game is production (putting out on retail and advertising). If thats the case, Microsoft wouldn't canned the game. Stop the bleeding before it gets worse is the best thing Microsoft could've done. They could use the money else where and please there stock holders if they make a profit overall on the xbox division this year. More money will allow Microsoft to get a bigger budget from their CEO to do more things. 

Around the Network

How can anyone be surprised.

Its not that the game looked awful, but other than ''from the guy who made Okami'' what other merit did that game have?

Its didn't look very good at all. The MP/Co-op sections mentioned in this video got me intrigued at one point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63EKu9v5jY

This really is of no loss to Xbox owners. If anything, just proves MS don't know how to greenlight the right projects.

foodfather said:
How can anyone be surprised.

Its not that the game looked awful, but other than ''from the guy who made Okami'' what other merit did that game have?

Its didn't look very good at all. The MP/Co-op sections mentioned in this video got me intrigued at one point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63EKu9v5jY

This really is of no loss to Xbox owners. If anything, just proves MS don't know how to greenlight the right projects.

Wel, that's not true. There are certainly people who were interested in the game, and it sucks for those people that the game was cancelled. Is it the end of the world? Of course not. But it's certainly bad news.

Edit: Evidence!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=224161&page=1

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Bandorr said:

People tied to games. Games tied to xbox live.  You get PC users "paying" for internet.  It would make a lot of sense.

Yet I can't imagine that PC people are ok with paying an online subscription for Xboxlive. The Xbox live games aren't play anywhere compatible, so it feels like paying full cost for no "benefit".

Well yes, if you don't own an Xbox to have the games you purchase available on two platforms, then it's basically a trap. The Windows Store has console-like prices for games. For Xbox-first, PC-second gamers it's a good deal.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Wonder what this means for PG as they seemed to be on a streak. It's a shame for those that were looking forward to this.

Whoever said life to be like a box of chocolates clearly didn't know what he was talking about. 

Life is more like a game of bumper cars. At every turn there is a possibility you will get screwed.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Bandorr said:

People tied to games. Games tied to xbox live.  You get PC users "paying" for internet.  It would make a lot of sense.

Yet I can't imagine that PC people are ok with paying an online subscription for Xboxlive. The Xbox live games aren't play anywhere compatible, so it feels like paying full cost for no "benefit".

Well yes, if you don't own an Xbox to have the games you purchase available on two platforms, then it's basically a trap. The Windows Store has console-like prices for games. For Xbox-first, PC-second gamers it's a good deal.

Think they wil go all multiplayer for their games eventually? Apparently even Cuphead is going to have it after release.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

It won't be long before MS start calling all their games 'Windows exclusives'. Perhaps the penny will drop then.

The PS5 Exists. 

This is quite unfortunate to see happen. This was the only action rpg for xbox.
However, this only slightly effects XBOX as a whole. Most xbox owners aren't too interested in JRPGs. I always thought this game would flop sales wise, no matter how good the game actually be. This game wouldn't exactly make PS4 players come running to adopt the XBONE either. The people who are saying that Xbox is gonna die are nuts. I think this year is when Xbox recaptures the NA region. The exclusive list does look a bit lacking though.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

No Xbox thread has gotten this much attention since Tomb Raider went timed exclusive.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

JRPGfan said:
Bandorr said:
It absolutely did feel like Microsoft was trying to force this game into Multiplayer.
Infact it feels like Microsoft is trying to almost exclusively into Multiplayer games.

I think Sea of thieves would have been fantastic as a single player game.

Fable legends, scalebound, crackdown,sea of theives.

= all heavily focused on multiplayer.

Has microsoft given up on single player games? and those elements in games?

Well they will have Halo Wars 2, and Forza 7 next year which will probably have a SP focus.

GribbleGrunger said:
It won't be long before MS start calling all their games 'Windows exclusives'. Perhaps the penny will drop then.

It wont happen.