By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trend you dont like in todays games?

JRPGfan said:
Barozi said:

Wasteland 2 has been out for ages. You mean Wasteland 3, which is set to come out in 2019 or 2020.

I thought the same when I read it, but didnt wanna say anything. Worse yet is Wasteland 2 kinda sucked.... it seriously lacks polish if you compair it with like a old goodie like fallout2.

Don't say that :(
Bought it about 2 weeks ago and didn't have the chance to start it yet. I heard the Director's Cut improved things quite a bit, so I hope you're talking about the non DC edition.

Around the Network

Day one patches (aka incomplete games at launch).

DLC and pre-order DLC (could've been good, but ofc it gets milked and cut out of the full game to be sold week1).

AAA titles need to be open world, and rarely turn based.
Indies almost always going for a retro look.
We can't just have 2D platforming action, gotta load em with physics based puzzles.
Indies often explain less than nothing, while AAAs won't let go of your hand. What happened to manuals?!
Instead of unlocking things in-game, we now just buy them as DLC.
Games install in seconds! But the 2GB day one patch will take a bit longer to download...
The day controllers started to cost as much as new games I died a little inside.
FPS titles continue to limit you us to two guns, because reasons.
Games are often too easy these days unless you play on harder difficulties.
QTE instead of a satisfying boss! Dammitall, the worst.

More of a community/culture thing, but you can't just say a game looks good any longer.

Over-inflated budgets on these AAA games, I hate seeing games that sell over 2-4mil copies and the publisher still consider that game a flop.

Storys and Tutorials
I hate it. So many times I just want to play a friggin' game and I don't have too much time for it. Pretty often I take an hour to play something. Guess what happens, after 5 minutes of loading and intro screens, I get to watch a 5 minute cutscreen explaining some stupid ass story. Right after that, it's 15 minutes tutorials, shitty games explaining how to do what I have been doing for 30 years now. I know how to press buttons, fuck off! It's too much movie watching, too little gameplay. You know what I do when I want to watch a movie? I watch a friggin' movie! So just stop it. At least make that shit skippable. Most stories in games are shit anyway. Yeah yeah, I'm the hero, fight the bad guys, I get it, no need to explain anything.

Patches and Installations

As if it wasn't enough that you're wasting half of your time with watching silly cutscenes instead of playing, no,you're also expected to install those fucked up games on your consoles! And that can take it's sweet damn time! I remember hiw I wanted to play FIFA, but for like half an hour, I could only play one match and I couldn't even select teams while the game was installing! That's bullshit! I have consoles for plug and play, not for going through all the hassle I have on PC.

And then you try to play a game and that fucking PlayStation tells you "Yeah, brah, there's like a patch, why don't you download that right now?". Naturally, I click on "No" and expect to be able to play the game. Well, silly me. Of course the game gets on my nerves with remembering me every 5 minutes about that fucked up update! And the game doesn't even get paused! I died so many times because of a silly "THERE'S AN UPDATE, OH MY GAAAWWD!" screen. I hate it. Only way to get rid of it is to turn of the internet connection.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
JRPGfan said:

I thought the same when I read it, but didnt wanna say anything. Worse yet is Wasteland 2 kinda sucked.... it seriously lacks polish if you compair it with like a old goodie like fallout2.

Don't say that :(
Bought it about 2 weeks ago and didn't have the chance to start it yet. I heard the Director's Cut improved things quite a bit, so I hope you're talking about the non DC edition.

Kickstarter games man.... ; _ ; not sure what to say.

divinity original sin  & Pillars of Eternity are good kickstarter games, but..... I havnt had much luck with kickstarter games.

I felt "burnt" by Mighty Nr 9, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun : returns.

I still have hope for the new Torment game (though demo had issues), and Yook-Laylee, the new battletech game too.

Kinda expect Bloodstained to be a huge letdown too.

Checklists in open world games

Always dumb stuff to do to artificially increase game's length.

Also hate how many WRPGs feel the same nowadays, right down to the menu and crafting. From Witcher 3 to the most unknown.

Well the issue with used games is that ...

People are turning to digital so they are less physical copies, PS4 is rather popular so people snatch the games up quickly.

Online features (I don't mean multiplayer), social aspects and 'sharing'. It's just unneeded and often intrudes on single-player games which are perfectly fine without the added fluff. If I want to be social I'm not gaming.

bananaking21 said:
Slimebeast said:

When the designers seeks to control the experience at the loss of player freedom, because they're so afraid that the player will choose "wrong" and the game becomes unbalanced.

For example Witcher 3 which limits so much of the customization and RPG systems and mechanics, that trying to influence them has no effect. No matter what skills you choose, what gear you try to find, what gear you equip, or how much you explore and kill enemies, the outcome will be exactly the same, Geralt will be just as powerful and effective as if you had ignored all skills, stats and items altogether and just mindlessly rushed through the game.

This effectively turns the game from an RPG to an action-adventure games.

Dragon Age: Inquisition started with similar restrictions as Witcher 3, just not as dramatically.

With the enormous success of Witcher 3 I am afraid that its game design will influence future games from Bethesda and Bioware, where their classic RPG's will be transformed into action-adventure games instead, and essentially dumbed down.

completely untrue. not sure what game you are playing. 

But it is true.

- XP is given almost entirely from the main quest in order to secure that every player is equally leveled at any point in the story. It's impossible for the player to be overpowered as well as underpowered. You can't grind and become overpowered, and you can't rush through and ignore everything and become underpowered. The game simply takes care of this, it's not comething the player has to worry about.
- Skill tree is restricted. There are skill trees you can carefully deposit points into but even if you avoid them altogether the game will play almost identical to the first hours when you were slaying innumerable town-guards.
- Items are leveled, which means you simply can't find a powerful weapon no matter your luck or no matter if you go at lengths to go deep into hostile territory and take down a really difficult monster. No reward in the form of a powerful item.
- the toxicity system and the limited potion slots are there only to restrict the player's ability to heal and buff up in battle