By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trend you dont like in todays games?

mobile games outselling handheld games 10-1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Cloudman said:
I'm not really a fan of season passes myself. I don't like when a game is already selling them when the game itself hasn't been released yet. It kind of feels like extra goods that could have been sold with the game, but it left out to make more money. I'm sure that's not always the case, but it feels more so like that currently in the industry.

Completely agree with you.Its so bad that the game with a season pass effectively doubles the price of a game.Its ridiculous.Not only that, but the pre-order bonus are also getting out of hand.Like FF XV or Star Wars Battlefront(I think the game does that), if the pre-order bonus is so massive to the point that you need a sheet to know what you are getting with what kind of bonus you are getting, its because you are doing something wrong.

Yeah, pre-order bonuses are another growing issue in the industry. Giving extra goods is nice, if it's not important, like physical goods, but not holding off rather big content, like extra characters. Mortal Kombat's pre-order bonus being Goro was one example I remember that just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Delays.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

After reading every response so far I am very pleased to say that I agree with each and every point other commenters have already made (safe for male characters and delays, sorry). I read these posts and thought to myself "oh right, that is terrible!" and then comes the next one and I think the same, and then again, and again. I agree ESPECIALLY with everything what Shadow1980 wrote. This is precisely on point. I really like this thread!

Roronaa_chan said:
emphasis on open world/non-linear structure
mp only games
the extreme confusion between design and gameplay, leading to horrible gameplay with manufactured design being accepted as good gameplay
focus on populism over artistic vision. Where are the modern "artistes"? Maybe Straley and Druckmann are the only remotely usable examples, with some indie ones like Blow thrown in

This interests me. Did you think of some specific games here?

When the designers seeks to control the experience at the loss of player freedom, because they're so afraid that the player will choose "wrong" and the game becomes unbalanced.

For example Witcher 3 which limits so much of the customization and RPG systems and mechanics, that trying to influence them has no effect. No matter what skills you choose, what gear you try to find, what gear you equip, or how much you explore and kill enemies, the outcome will be exactly the same, Geralt will be just as powerful and effective as if you had ignored all skills, stats and items altogether and just mindlessly rushed through the game.

This effectively turns the game from an RPG to an action-adventure games.

Dragon Age: Inquisition started with similar restrictions as Witcher 3, just not as dramatically.

With the enormous success of Witcher 3 I am afraid that its game design will influence future games from Bethesda and Bioware, where their classic RPG's will be transformed into action-adventure games instead, and essentially dumbed down.

Around the Network

Online only.
Broken games that needs 100 patches.

"complete editions" that has codes instead of everything on disc.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

It seems with most games, even many of Nintendo's who long resisted this trend, it can take up to an hour before you're really playing a darn game and are done with the cutscenes and tutorials.

Having to pay for online. Thats some bullshit bro.

Filler content, rpg lite mechanics in games that don't need them, camera that already points/hints to where you need to go, impatient sidekicks that already tell you what to do next while you're trying to look around for a minute, quantity over quality of encounters, chest high walls.

xl-klaudkil said:
Online only.
Broken games that needs 100 patches.

"complete editions" that has codes instead of everything on disc.

This  might be the best one.  "Complete Edition*"

*Complete edition only complete if you have access to internet and the ability to download multiple GB files without worry about your internet service hitting you with an overage charge or just plain shutting you off for pulling too much water from the spout persay.  Also, please allow enough time for our throttled network to deliver this data at a trickle of what your ISP promises you have for speeds.  We do have other clients after all!