By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trend you dont like in todays games?

Slimebeast said:
bananaking21 said:

completely untrue. not sure what game you are playing. 

But it is true.

1- XP is given almost entirely from the main quest in order to secure that every player is equally leveled at any point in the story. It's impossible for the player to be overpowered as well as underpowered. You can't grind and become overpowered, and you can't rush through and ignore everything and become underpowered. The game simply takes care of this, it's not comething the player has to worry about.
2-Skill tree is restricted. There are skill trees you can carefully deposit points into but even if you avoid them altogether the game will play almost identical to the first hours when you were slaying innumerable town-guards.
3- Items are leveled, which means you simply can't find a powerful weapon no matter your luck or no matter if you go at lengths to go deep into hostile territory and take down a really difficult monster. No reward in the form of a powerful item.
4- the toxicity system and the limited potion slots are there only to restrict the player's ability to heal and buff up in battle

1- so your complaint is that CD project managed to make a pretty balanced game, where you can expect a challenge through out the game, and not be stuck at an impossible boss because you are under powered, or breeze through the game because you are over powered?

@bolded: you are basically complaining about a system where they managed to elminate gridning? and you are complaining about this being a BAD thing? seriously? but just for your information, you can grind. but to do it effectively you have to beat enemies that are at a higher level than you, and you get roughly the same amount of experience points of their level. beat 20 level 40 enemies, while at level 30, you should get roughly 800 experience points.

and regardless, the better way to get more experience points is to go out do side quests, destroy monster nests (roughly 40 XP gained from destroying one), freeing abandoned territories (sometimes it nets 170 XP), and doing other meaningful stuff around the world. that sounds like a much better option than grinding.

2-so basically your point is that if you ignore the skill trees that effect the gameplay, the gameplay will stay the same?  wow... okay, then the solution is to point your points towards the skill sets you want, that improves gameplay. 

3- you can find items that are very powerful, but you cant use them till you are the appropriate level. again its about balance. and the game has a big focus on daigrams and building your own set of armor and weapons. and you can find daigrams that have much powerfull weapons/stats than you already have. but again, you need to reach the appropriate level, and find an armor/blacksmith that can make them.

4- the toxicity system is there for balance. if you take every decotion and potion you can have while in a fight it will be a breeze. the toxicity system is there to make you fight tacitically. funnily enough, there are skill sets you can unlock with XP points that improve the toxicities threshold, and thus allowing you to take more potions. even though you just disregraded the skill point system and said it doesnt matter. 

your complaints dont hold any value, if you ignore all skills, states and items, i dare you to play the game with the swords and armor they give you at the start, never upgrade your skills, make or use any bombs, potions, decotions, bolts, oils, weapon upgrade runes, and armor upgrade runes. play on death mark difficulty, and then see if you manage to beat the game. 

the issue here seems that you dont want a challenge. you want to grind and grind, make every upgrade the game has, because you dont need to chose carefully, then easily beat every boss and enemy. 

Around the Network

In game credits and 'chests/boxes' of stuff that really should just be open to everyone.

Hmm, pie.

-Pay to play

-Overabundance of realistic games

-Graphics/Story/Aesthetics/Etc. > Gameplay

Pretty much why I've only gotten closer with Nintendo, though they aren't completely guilt free of that last bullet point.

RPG elements in non RPG games like shooters or third person type games. If I wanted a Witcher or Fallout type of experience, I'd buy those games.

A standard control scheme adhered by all. Give me a gun, the Y button to switch to a pistol, and grenades afixed to a left shoulder button and I'm happy. B button to crouch and crawl, right click to run, and X to skip the cutscenes. Most games allow this but every once in a while a game creeps in and tries to change that scheme.

No more turn based action games. This is 2016 and 3D has made the tactic unnecessary.

B movies disguised as boring games. QTEs are not fun and if I look forward to the cutscenes more than the game I'm playing - we have a problem.

Websites that appear to be about gaming as a whole - but praise one brand over everything else.

Oh...a big one for me. Why is it that in FPS the trigger of a gun is placed on the back buttons of the Xbox and PS controllers? they are squigy buttons and well, that's not now triggers work. I don't care if they are shaped like 'triggers' or even called triggers as a nick name. A trigger of a gun is on or off, there is no middle ground, there is no squigy before you pull.. Iimagine that in real life, so many misfires it that were true.

The shoot button should always be on the stiff front buttons.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Slimebeast said:

But it is true.

1- XP is given almost entirely from the main quest in order to secure that every player is equally leveled at any point in the story. It's impossible for the player to be overpowered as well as underpowered. You can't grind and become overpowered, and you can't rush through and ignore everything and become underpowered. The game simply takes care of this, it's not comething the player has to worry about.
2-Skill tree is restricted. There are skill trees you can carefully deposit points into but even if you avoid them altogether the game will play almost identical to the first hours when you were slaying innumerable town-guards.
3- Items are leveled, which means you simply can't find a powerful weapon no matter your luck or no matter if you go at lengths to go deep into hostile territory and take down a really difficult monster. No reward in the form of a powerful item.
4- the toxicity system and the limited potion slots are there only to restrict the player's ability to heal and buff up in battle

1- so your complaint is that CD project managed to make a pretty balanced game, where you can expect a challenge through out the game, and not be stuck at an impossible boss because you are under powered, or breeze through the game because you are over powered?

@bolded: you are basically complaining about a system where they managed to elminate gridning? and you are complaining about this being a BAD thing? seriously? but just for your information, you can grind. but to do it effectively you have to beat enemies that are at a higher level than you, and you get roughly the same amount of experience points of their level. beat 20 level 40 enemies, while at level 30, you should get roughly 800 experience points.

and regardless, the better way to get more experience points is to go out do side quests, destroy monster nests (roughly 40 XP gained from destroying one), freeing abandoned territories (sometimes it nets 170 XP), and doing other meaningful stuff around the world. that sounds like a much better option than grinding.

2-so basically your point is that if you ignore the skill trees that effect the gameplay, the gameplay will stay the same?  wow... okay, then the solution is to point your points towards the skill sets you want, that improves gameplay. 

3- you can find items that are very powerful, but you cant use them till you are the appropriate level. again its about balance. and the game has a big focus on daigrams and building your own set of armor and weapons. and you can find daigrams that have much powerfull weapons/stats than you already have. but again, you need to reach the appropriate level, and find an armor/blacksmith that can make them.

4- the toxicity system is there for balance. if you take every decotion and potion you can have while in a fight it will be a breeze. the toxicity system is there to make you fight tacitically. funnily enough, there are skill sets you can unlock with XP points that improve the toxicities threshold, and thus allowing you to take more potions. even though you just disregraded the skill point system and said it doesnt matter. 

your complaints dont hold any value, if you ignore all skills, states and items, i dare you to play the game with the swords and armor they give you at the start, never upgrade your skills, make or use any bombs, potions, decotions, bolts, oils, weapon upgrade runes, and armor upgrade runes. play on death mark difficulty, and then see if you manage to beat the game. 

the issue here seems that you dont want a challenge. you want to grind and grind, make every upgrade the game has, because you dont need to chose carefully, then easily beat every boss and enemy. 

"you want to grind and grind" lol

No, not like that.

Glad to see that you are knowledgable about the game's mechanics.

1. They overdid it. It's good that they prohibit grinding, but right now it's over-balanced. Too much XP comes from main quest and too little from side quests and monster killing. This adds to the "action adventure game", "Red Dead Redemption in medieval Poland" feel.

2. The skills have marginal effect on gameplay, that's my complaint. You can ignore them and the outcome stays the same. There's nothing important to learn when it comes to skills. Just like an action-adventure game, but unlike an RPG.

3. It's impossible to find or make a difference. Crafting is there just as an illusion. The game will make sure to give you the equipment and weapons you need by just following the main quest. Just like and action-adventure game.

4. Do you like the toxicity system? I think it feels so damn artificial and it's just there to make the game play like an action-adventure game instead of an RPG.

Bold: Do you hear how ridiculous that sounds? You take the most extreme example, literally ignoring everything and playing on the highest difficulty. But I mean that you can do what you described on the medium or next highest difficulty and I think that shows how flawed the game is.

The game is not challenging. I played it on the highest difficulty and just repeatedly mashed light attack and beated it, not optimizing usage of potions or magic.