By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trend you dont like in todays games?

Mystro-Sama said:
Having to pay for online. Thats some bullshit bro.

It really makes zero sense aside from the fact that on closed platforms they can pretty much demand whatever they feel they can get away with. I've seen some console gamers express anger that the "Xbox live" equivalent which will soon be on PC won't have a subscription fee, but that's because they know they couldn't pull that on an open platform. People should instead focus their discontent on the existence of any subscription based online services rather than demanding PC users be treated similarly.

Around the Network

forced tutorials, handholding, linear games, games that focus on story over gameplay (majority of games now sadly), microtransactions, seasonpass ripoff, anime games that pollute Steams front page for 14 year old virgins, broken ports

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

- Pre-orders and their bonuses
- Day One DLC
- Season Passes
- Episodic games
- Too much handholding and tutorials
- Walking simulators
- Microtransactions

Signature goes here!

Johnw1104 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

It really makes zero sense aside from the fact that on closed platforms they can pretty much demand whatever they feel they can get away with. I've seen some console gamers express anger that the "Xbox live" equivalent which will soon be on PC won't have a subscription fee, but that's because they know they couldn't pull that on an open platform. People should instead focus their discontent on the existence of any subscription based online services rather than demanding PC users be treated similarly.

Ikr? They thought they were slick by bundling it with Plus and Gold to make it seem like a deal. If Nintendo follows the trend i'm so fucking done.

okr said:
Many of these complaints were introduced by/accepted on Sony and Microsoft systems.

Gaming media and gamers willingly accepted all negative changes which happened last and current gen.

At the same time the only company that gets ridiculed by certain type of gamers for "being backwards" is Nintendo.

And isn't it ironic?

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Exactly, flawed logic! "We suffer, so others should suffer, too."

Focusing on add ons/dlc which break the immersion of the game world.

For example AC Unity. A gorgous game world (in a mediocre game but nonetheless) featured a TON of useless UPlay features IN THE GAME WORLD.

Completed unwanted and breaks me out of the experience of the game.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

The trend towards realism and realistic art styles, and the trend towards shooters. Nothing wrong with any of these things on their own, but there's just too much of it.

Soundwave said:
I hate starting up my console and having a firmware update to download every freaking time. Enough.

Same. I have a high school friend I like have online co-op sessions with every week or so, and there's nothing worse than finally finding a time that works for us, only for one of us to find out there's a 2 hour update required to play online. FFS.

Other recent trends I dislike include:

-Move towards photo-realistic graphics/graphics in general (I get why processing power matters...but making a fuss over minor resolution differences is the bane of my existence)
-Excessive tutorials
-Subs required to play online
-JRPGs not offering dual/Japanese audio (not sure how common this is, but after Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade X, and Persona 5 only offering it through a day-1 bonus download...I'll feel like this is no longer a given, as it should be)

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, I don`t really get this complaint. You say there are too many turn based games and literally only list one example. And on the real time side you also list one current example (SCII is still a current game, it still gets expansions and stuff).

And while we`re on the subject of strategy games... there simply isn`t many of them full stop. Turn based strategy (with the exception of Civ) was pretty much dead not too long ago, it`s only thanks to indies that it`s started to make a comeback, and is still very far from a mainstream genre. Although at the same time RTS has also made a bit of a comeback recently, although I`d argue there`s been many more big budget real time strategy games recently than turn based, Company of Heroes 2, Warhammer Total War, Grey Goo and Ashes of the Singularity for example. Don`t forget Halo Wars 2 and Dawn of War 3 are coming next year too, that`s a whole bunch of real time strategy games and turn based only has... Civ and indies?

Oh and when it comes to RPGs (which are a different genre to strategy games regardless of whether they are turn based or not) I get what you mean, there`s just so many turnbased JRPGs releasing lately such as;
Fallout 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
The Witcher 3
Skyrim Special Edition
The Division
Pillars of Eternity
Dying Light
Borderlands The Handsome Collection
Mass Effect Andromeda etc

While for genuine turn based JRPGs (should mentioned I`m not including strategy RPGs because not only are they a different genre anyway, imo they suck so... yeah) you`ve got... Hyperdimension Neptunia (except isn`t their latest game actually an action one anyway?), Pokemon S/M, Persona 5 and.... well that`s about it.

I don't think you'd ever get it at all nor agree with it. You both favor turn based games from what I've seen, so I'd never expect you to see it from my pov. I dislike what you like and you dislike what I like. We just differ in opinions and views at the end of the day.

No need to the sarcasm though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"