By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky being investigated for false advertising

baloofarsan said:
I will participate in a podcast (in Swedish) about NMS this weekend. My intended take on it, other than being a happy customer, is that I will blame what happened on bad gaming "journalism", Sony PR-departments crappy handling of Sean Murray and the silly hype culture.

After 6 calls that lasted around 40 minutes, 3-4 emails and then having to report Sony to the Consumer Ombudsman and UK advertising authority, I can say Sony has handled this piss poor.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
baloofarsan said:

After 6 calls that lasted around 40 minutes, 3-4 emails and then having to report Sony to the Consumer Ombudsman and UK advertising authority, I can say Sony has handled this piss poor.

What happened after all this? You were asking for a refund and did not get any?

Nuvendil said:

Seriosuly? THIS is where they draw the line in the sand? Where were these guys when Randy Pitchford and Gearbox were shoveling bull crap about Aliens Colonial Marines?

Where was this with games that falsely advertise with blatantly unrepresentative graphics?

Or shoot, where have these guardians of the consumers been for the years of prerendered hype-mongering CG that is COMPLETELY unrepresentative of what the game is like (hello The Division).

This is good in principle, but the fact it has taken this long is bloody pathetic.  Colonial Marines STILL has unrepresentative, LYING screenshots on its Steam store page for goodness sake.  

I would say misleading graphics in a trailer or a shitty game is not the same as false advertising of No Man's Sky.

Constnatly in interviews and clips they claim they can do this, or do that, when the game does not let you do any of those things. That is false advertising. Saying it woudl take a long time to get ot the sun flying, but possible (not possible, game glitches out). Saying you can meet up with other people though insanely unlikely and is only way to find out what you look like cause you'll see other person (not possible). The portal one walks through in a trailer (no portal anywhere). And some more flat out lies that I can't thik of on top of head.

But beyond the flat out lies, the game is just bad. The center of the galaxy that was teased as super cool and special is a joke. The gameplay is another complete joke. I mean watch teh first couple minutes of angryjoe review and if you played the game you know exactly it. You just walk around planets and mine shit, meanwhile hearing some annoying damn voice every five seconds saying radiation, or suit, or depleted, ect. 

And even if you don't mind doing that (i didn't completely) there is still no real incentive to play. You can max out your ship, suit and gun very quickly. Language learning was neat for a sec, but then you realize there is no point to it. All it does it let you solve puzzles better (not hard in first place) which reward to those puzzles is a new word.  But what is the point of playing the game after you got full slots in all your 3 gears? Money is insanely easy to get, but nothign worth buying. Suit upgrades and ship upgrades are easy to get and install, but what's the point. Not like space battle or ground combat is any fun or has any purpose. 

irstupid said:
Nuvendil said:

Seriosuly? THIS is where they draw the line in the sand? Where were these guys when Randy Pitchford and Gearbox were shoveling bull crap about Aliens Colonial Marines?

Where was this with games that falsely advertise with blatantly unrepresentative graphics?

Or shoot, where have these guardians of the consumers been for the years of prerendered hype-mongering CG that is COMPLETELY unrepresentative of what the game is like (hello The Division).

This is good in principle, but the fact it has taken this long is bloody pathetic.  Colonial Marines STILL has unrepresentative, LYING screenshots on its Steam store page for goodness sake.  

I would say misleading graphics in a trailer or a shitty game is not the same as false advertising of No Man's Sky.

Constnatly in interviews and clips they claim they can do this, or do that, when the game does not let you do any of those things. That is false advertising. Saying it woudl take a long time to get ot the sun flying, but possible (not possible, game glitches out). Saying you can meet up with other people though insanely unlikely and is only way to find out what you look like cause you'll see other person (not possible). The portal one walks through in a trailer (no portal anywhere). And some more flat out lies that I can't thik of on top of head.

But beyond the flat out lies, the game is just bad. The center of the galaxy that was teased as super cool and special is a joke. The gameplay is another complete joke. I mean watch teh first couple minutes of angryjoe review and if you played the game you know exactly it. You just walk around planets and mine shit, meanwhile hearing some annoying damn voice every five seconds saying radiation, or suit, or depleted, ect. 

And even if you don't mind doing that (i didn't completely) there is still no real incentive to play. You can max out your ship, suit and gun very quickly. Language learning was neat for a sec, but then you realize there is no point to it. All it does it let you solve puzzles better (not hard in first place) which reward to those puzzles is a new word.  But what is the point of playing the game after you got full slots in all your 3 gears? Money is insanely easy to get, but nothign worth buying. Suit upgrades and ship upgrades are easy to get and install, but what's the point. Not like space battle or ground combat is any fun or has any purpose. 

It's still false advertising and still really bad when companies sell their games largely on visual flair.  Watch Dogs and The Division are the most recent examples but it's a long running practice.  It's shady, crappy behavior.

As fod NMS, it certainly deserves it but it is far from the worst we've seen which is why I said  this  is pathetic.  Also, quality and false advertising debates are totally separate.  There are plenty of games that turned out to suck but never actually false advertised.

Fei-Hung said:
Azuren said:
I still don't understand all this "false advertising" stuff people keep talking about. Planets are randomly generated, and not everything in randomness is interesting. As far as I can tell, the only truly misleading bit was about multiplayer.

Dude there literally is a list of features they said would be in the game that aren't actually in the game. 

No class based ships. There are different classes of ships, they just don't do anything special (yet?).

You can't join factions. Not in the sense that it says "You're a member of the Gek", but I do remember being a Gek ally, and that I would skip over non-Gek systems. If nothing else, the ground work is there.

You can't play the game as a trader or pirate or do whatever you want. You can, but again it doesn't give you a label. For a while I was gunning down ships for resources, and for a longer period of time I was taking advantage of local prices to make money (buy low, sell high).

Creatures / animals cannot destroy trees etc. As unimportant as that sounds, no, animals cannot destroy the environment.

You can't land on asteroids. I don't remember seeing anything about this originally, but it is true that you can't.

There is no Journey style player interaction. 

There is no Dark Souls style player interaction. 

You can't meet other players. Separating multiplayer disappointments into three categories doesn't mean three things that they failed to deliver on. But yeah, no multiplayer.

There are no large structures on the planet and large crashed ships. Large is subjective. I've found ruins on planets before, though the biggest one was about the size of five gas stations stacked on top of each other.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Barkley said:

I came across an interesting advert on youtube yesterday, a game called Game of Monster featuring Pokemon and Pokemon Music, I was absolutely amazed a game that could so shamelessly rip off another franchise would be on Google Play, but it wasn't.

It seems the Chinese version of the game actually features pokemon , though it's in english in this video so perhaps you can get it over here, but this version is not on google play.

However the version on Google Play in the west has had all the pokemon changed to other creatures.

Though the advertisement I got on youtube in the west still used Pokemon and Pokemon Music and... well I was just amazed to get such a blatantly illegal advert on Youtube. xD

I know right?! Jesus Christ I've had the same adverts including the one with the Pokemon music x.x That's what annoys me about this... I don't care if NMS is sued or not. What I get pissed off about is that games like NMS are attacked and the biggest rip offs in the gaming industry (app games) rarely get any action taken against them... I remember seeing an ad for a game called "Monster Galaxy" on my Facebook feed clearly show Trails of Cold Steel pictures... now for reference, Trails looks like this:

Monster Galaxy looks like this: 

and they advertised as ToCS...

So for me, when I see people bitch about NMS like it's the worst crime against humanity, it annoys the absolute shit out of me because NMS has nothing on the app garbage I'm recommended all the time e~e

Well if you're that upset about it then why not file a lawsuit?  Why are you waiting for others to do it?  Why not do it yourself?

baloofarsan said:
Fei-Hung said:

First I was told no due to the 14 day policy, but to take it further I would need to email hello games, get a template reply and forward onto Sony so they can investigate further. 

Then I was told there was no false advertisement. 

Finally I got a supervisor call back who said it's not false advertisement, they are within their rights with the 14 day policy and I can't have my money back. As for my complaint about the customer service I got brushed off with a "we will look into it internally." 

Paperboy_J said:
StarOcean said:

I know right?! Jesus Christ I've had the same adverts including the one with the Pokemon music x.x That's what annoys me about this... I don't care if NMS is sued or not. What I get pissed off about is that games like NMS are attacked and the biggest rip offs in the gaming industry (app games) rarely get any action taken against them... I remember seeing an ad for a game called "Monster Galaxy" on my Facebook feed clearly show Trails of Cold Steel pictures... now for reference, Trails looks like this:

Monster Galaxy looks like this: 

and they advertised as ToCS...

So for me, when I see people bitch about NMS like it's the worst crime against humanity, it annoys the absolute shit out of me because NMS has nothing on the app garbage I'm recommended all the time e~e

Well if you're that upset about it then why not file a lawsuit?  Why are you waiting for others to do it?  Why not do it yourself?

I have filed copyright claims

StarOcean said:
Paperboy_J said:

I have filed copyright claims

The difference is these small app games are free. The reason people have gone to the lengths to raise complaints is because they have paid £50 for a game. The developer has flip flopped several times, they won't say anything and have ignored genuine complaints, have gone from no dlc to free dlc to paid for dlc, the publisher has ignored gamers, has brushed of complaints,  has put the onus on the developer but refused to give gamers the time of day. 

It's been the biggest cluster frak of promises, hints, vague messaging, transparency, honesty, damage control of any game on any gen I can think of. 

Fei-Hung said:
baloofarsan said:

First I was told no due to the 14 day policy, but to take it further I would need to email hello games, get a template reply and forward onto Sony so they can investigate further. 

Then I was told there was no false advertisement. 

Finally I got a supervisor call back who said it's not false advertisement, they are within their rights with the 14 day policy and I can't have my money back. As for my complaint about the customer service I got brushed off with a "we will look into it internally." 

Why do you even waste your energy on this? I mean calling these people will just up the cost of what you have already spent on this game.

Just leave a comment on Hello Games and Sonys Twitter and be careful of them in the future.