By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky being investigated for false advertising

What's there to investigate? They blatantly lied repeatedly without pity or remorse, case closed!

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
What's there to investigate? They blatantly lied repeatedly without pity or remorse, case closed!

How would they know they "lied repeatedly without pity or remorse" without investigating? :p

StarOcean said:
Man people got super pissy about this game so fast XD damn I wish people cared this much about the appstores false advertising. It makes this whole thing look tame in comparison

I came across an interesting advert on youtube yesterday, a game called Game of Monster featuring Pokemon and Pokemon Music, I was absolutely amazed a game that could so shamelessly rip off another franchise would be on Google Play, but it wasn't.

It seems the Chinese version of the game actually features pokemon , though it's in english in this video so perhaps you can get it over here, but this version is not on google play.

However the version on Google Play in the west has had all the pokemon changed to other creatures.

Though the advertisement I got on youtube in the west still used Pokemon and Pokemon Music and... well I was just amazed to get such a blatantly illegal advert on Youtube. xD

Azuren said:
I still don't understand all this "false advertising" stuff people keep talking about. Planets are randomly generated, and not everything in randomness is interesting. As far as I can tell, the only truly misleading bit was about multiplayer.

Dude there literally is a list of features they said would be in the game that aren't actually in the game. 

No class based ships.

You can't join factions.

You can't play the game as a trader or pirate or do whatever you want.

Creatures / animals cannot destroy trees etc. 

You can't land on asteroids. 

There is no Journey style player interaction. 

There is no Dark Souls style player interaction. 

You can't meet other players. 

There are no large structures on the planet and large crashed ships. 

Azuren said:
I still don't understand all this "false advertising" stuff people keep talking about. Planets are randomly generated, and not everything in randomness is interesting. As far as I can tell, the only truly misleading bit was about multiplayer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/54n5yz/official_asa_response_valve_and_hello_games_have/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

There is a difference between not seeing it in game and actually not being there. There is strong evidence that suggests that the planets used for trailers and screenshots were enhanced by hand.

Those advertisement materials are still being used even though they are evidently not in the game. There's also no response by the developer on the accusations. Maybe because they can't prove them wrong?

Even if it was "only" about the multiplayer, shouldn't they be held accountable for it?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

There is also the question of whether this really is a full open sandbox universe and whether the planets, moons and stars do behave according to Sean Murray.

Sean Murray stated planets rotate on their own axis and moms rotate around planets and planets orbit the sun as they do in reality. However, non of this is true.

According to the video below Hello Games have created world boxes that have a few planets, moon's and a sun that you can travel between, but to travel to another system, galaxy etc it's like selecting a new world in Mario as it's not an open universe and trying to do it would glitch the game.

Additionally, planets and moons are all stationary and it is the sun that orbits the planets and moons instead.

https://youtu.be/viv3hZnTZOY

I enjoyed what I got, didn't really believe the hype. I can see why this was necessary though, this was not okay by any stretch of the imagination.

Barkley said:
StarOcean said:
Man people got super pissy about this game so fast XD damn I wish people cared this much about the appstores false advertising. It makes this whole thing look tame in comparison

I came across an interesting advert on youtube yesterday, a game called Game of Monster featuring Pokemon and Pokemon Music, I was absolutely amazed a game that could so shamelessly rip off another franchise would be on Google Play, but it wasn't.

It seems the Chinese version of the game actually features pokemon , though it's in english in this video so perhaps you can get it over here, but this version is not on google play.

However the version on Google Play in the west has had all the pokemon changed to other creatures.

Though the advertisement I got on youtube in the west still used Pokemon and Pokemon Music and... well I was just amazed to get such a blatantly illegal advert on Youtube. xD

I know right?! Jesus Christ I've had the same adverts including the one with the Pokemon music x.x That's what annoys me about this... I don't care if NMS is sued or not. What I get pissed off about is that games like NMS are attacked and the biggest rip offs in the gaming industry (app games) rarely get any action taken against them... I remember seeing an ad for a game called "Monster Galaxy" on my Facebook feed clearly show Trails of Cold Steel pictures... now for reference, Trails looks like this:

Monster Galaxy looks like this: 

and they advertised as ToCS...

So for me, when I see people bitch about NMS like it's the worst crime against humanity, it annoys the absolute shit out of me because NMS has nothing on the app garbage I'm recommended all the time e~e

I think the game sold 10x as much as it would have sold only because of one or two specific trailers which are way different to the real game (with all these different great looking animals walking around you at the same time and hunting each other).

So yeah, you could argue they tricked people because that was the reason why people got so excited for it, the world just looked awesome with that flora and fauna and he also promised way too much with the galaxy stuff. 

I will participate in a podcast (in Swedish) about NMS this weekend. My intended take on it, other than being a happy customer, is that I will blame what happened on bad gaming "journalism", Sony PR-departments crappy handling of Sean Murray and the silly hype culture.