By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky being investigated for false advertising

Good, they deserve it (as well as anyone else that does it)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Faelco said:
I didn't play the game, but if we start to sue all under delievering games, a lot of studios will need to shut down...

Its one thing when a game doesn't live up to its potential or some aspects get scaled back. But No Man's Sky doesn't have huge advertised features. I suggest watching the Angry Joe Review, he gives a lot of evidence of this.

Most studios don't mislead people like this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Faelco said:
I didn't play the game, but if we start to sue all under delievering games, a lot of studios will need to shut down...

The great video game apocalypse begins. I'll miss games.

RJ_Sizzle said:
Faelco said:

The great video game apocalypse begins. I'll miss games.

There are several games which to me under delivered this gen that I bought at launch:

SFV 

DriveClub 

Destiny 

The Order 1886

However, I didn't feel as if I was cheated, misled etc in a way whereby I felt I was hustled. 

The key difference between those games and NMS is going to watch a magic show and coming out disappointed as the tricks weren't great and being robbed by a street magician when he makes your expensive watch disappear for good. 

HG could have gone the SFV road and said we are launching this game now with these features and we will add these features the following month, followed by these features etc explained clearly what they will give for free and what they will charge for. 

What they have done instead is waffle about features, be really vague and tease things, hinting that might be in the game and flat out lie about others. 

Then Sony has gone further to say that things are cut during development to ensure a better game is released at launch. However, it's a shame they failed to tell anyone about this until way after launch. Even then, the only way to get this information was by calling them and being passed around their process to the point of insanity. 

Nuvendil said:

Seriosuly? THIS is where they draw the line in the sand? Where were these guys when Randy Pitchford and Gearbox were shoveling bull crap about Aliens Colonial Marines?

Where was this with games that falsely advertise with blatantly unrepresentative graphics?

Or shoot, where have these guardians of the consumers been for the years of prerendered hype-mongering CG that is COMPLETELY unrepresentative of what the game is like (hello The Division).

This is good in principle, but the fact it has taken this long is bloody pathetic.  Colonial Marines STILL has unrepresentative, LYING screenshots on its Steam store page for goodness sake.  

Exactly. I remember there was going to be a classaction lawsuit against Bethesda for the shambles that was F3, NV and Skyrim on PS3. Never actually happened obviously.

Around the Network
Plerpy_ said:
Nuvendil said:

Seriosuly? THIS is where they draw the line in the sand? Where were these guys when Randy Pitchford and Gearbox were shoveling bull crap about Aliens Colonial Marines?

Where was this with games that falsely advertise with blatantly unrepresentative graphics?

Or shoot, where have these guardians of the consumers been for the years of prerendered hype-mongering CG that is COMPLETELY unrepresentative of what the game is like (hello The Division).

This is good in principle, but the fact it has taken this long is bloody pathetic.  Colonial Marines STILL has unrepresentative, LYING screenshots on its Steam store page for goodness sake.  

Exactly. I remember there was going to be a classaction lawsuit against Bethesda for the shambles that was F3, NV and Skyrim on PS3. Never actually happened obviously.

Well that would be a stupid lawsuit, there's nothing lawsuit worthy there, just poorly executed port jobs.  They didn't falsely advertise.  Colonial Marines, No Man's Sky, Rome II Total War, and other such games outright, blatantly lied in their marketing material with bullshots and missing prominent features, fake gameplay, and misleading terminology.   Honestly, while I agree BethSoft deserves criticism for those problems, the fact people treat them as being as bad as EA, Ubi, WB, and Konami at times is just plain laughable and sad.  Bethesda makes mistakes, those others do borderline (or even outright) illegal stuff in ther gross pursuit of more money and preorders.

And here I thought NMS had finally come and pass. This game is just not allowed to move on...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

So what's the penalty if this investigation finds wrongdoing?

Randy Pitchford and Gearbox/Sega did get sued for Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Acevil said:
-Newcloud- said:

Then dev's will have to stop under delivering on their promises. This is better for us as consumers not buying lies and getting ripped off

Has peter molyneux ever been sued? He is the biggest offender of this type of behaviour. 

I'd argue that Molyneux has never gone quite so far as Hello Games did, with the exception of Godus. Still, I'd be surprised if he or Lionhead hasn't been sued in the past for all the shit he's pulled over the years.