By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

jason1637 said:

Pokken selling close to a million on the wii u is pretty good. Yes its a diferent type of game bu pokemon fans are buying it. Its sold alot more than tekken on wii u.

I meant to say that if the nx sells well and is powerful enough third parties will make games for it if they sell.

It will be more appealing to casuals because it looks like a tablet that plays Nintendo games at home or on the go.

Again, why should Nintendo make decisions regarding a 10 million plus selling RPG franchise based on a <1 million selling fighting game spin off?  And why does it matter that it's selling better than Tekken (which isn't that impressive seeing as Tekken sold under 200K)?

If it sells well and is powerful, third parties may develop for it.  But, the rumors indicate that it will be well below the PS4's power.  The fact that it will use a completely different architecture raises development cost, and cartridges raise manufacturing costs.  Cutting the profits by 2-3 dollars a game is a huge disincentive to development.

Casual gamers are, by definition, casual.  Do you really think the kinds of gamers who bought Brain Age for a 150 dollar system are going to come back now that they can play it in HD on a system that will be closer to 300?  Do the kinds of people who played Wii Sports really care about taking that experience with them?  

Why exactly is the fan who didn't want a 3DS and didn't want a Wii U so much more likely to buy this?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
jason1637 said:

Pokken selling close to a million on the wii u is pretty good. Yes its a diferent type of game bu pokemon fans are buying it. Its sold alot more than tekken on wii u.

I meant to say that if the nx sells well and is powerful enough third parties will make games for it if they sell.

It will be more appealing to casuals because it looks like a tablet that plays Nintendo games at home or on the go.

Again, why should Nintendo make decisions regarding a 10 million plus selling RPG franchise based on a <1 million selling fighting game spin off?  And why does it matter that it's selling better than Tekken (which isn't that impressive seeing as Tekken sold under 200K)?

If it sells well and is powerful, third parties may develop for it.  But, the rumors indicate that it will be well below the PS4's power.  The fact that it will use a completely different architecture raises development cost, and cartridges raise manufacturing costs.  Cutting the profits by 2-3 dollars a game is a huge disincentive to development.

Casual gamers are, by definition, casual.  Do you really think the kinds of gamers who bought Brain Age for a 150 dollar system are going to come back now that they can play it in HD on a system that will be closer to 300?  Do the kinds of people who played Wii Sports really care about taking that experience with them?  

Why exactly is the fan who didn't want a 3DS and didn't want a Wii U so much more likely to buy this?

Selling more than tekken means that people are more interested in it being pokemon than tekken.

We dont know all the specs yet so its to early to say it would increase development cost by a lot.

Yes, many casuals already game on phone/tablets.

They get both the experience of the wiiu and 3ds.

BasilZero said:
A portable console that can be hooked to the TV? YES!

Hopefully its true.

It was all along my hope the NX would be something like this. I also argued for a while that NX might probably be a handheld, that maybe also connects to the TV. If this rumour is true - I would be happy and purchase early on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

spemanig said:

No I understand that much, but it doesn't make sense. The screen is literally being wasted if it works as you describe. There's no functional reason why the controller can't have the screen in it when that is literally how you play when it isn't docked. Nintendo already has impressive local streaming tech. If the dock is separate hardware from the portable unit, there's no reason they couldn't stream the graphics wirelessly to the TV through the dock and portable unit talking to each other. There's no functional reason to have detachable controllers like that.

Unless the portable screen adds processing power to the docking station, making games run at either higher resolution or more fps

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

JRPGfan said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Tegra X1 has a processing power of 1 Tflops, which is a lot lower than PS4's 1.8 Tflops. FF VII Remake already looks like it is pushing the PS4 hardware. Even if overclocked it would be less than required. I don't know if Tegra X2 exists yet xD

Thats only at fp16 (half rate floating points) though. That is when its at 1 Tflops.

PS4 is 1.84 teraflops at FULL rate (fp32).

If you want to do a direct compairison you need to use the full rate floating point performance of the Tegra X1.

Which is 512 gflops.

ei. a Tegra X1 is less than 1/3 of a PS4 in graphics performance.

With it being Arm, and alot less powerfull graphically, you might not see some of the most demanding PS4 games, ever ported to the NX.

Unless the NX really sells well, it might not be worth the effort to port them if its too hard (differnt cpu, differnt gpu(&weaker),... could make things hard)

Exactly this people forget the marketing ploy by nvidia,  using half precision FP when talking about X1 knowing damn well consoles go by single precision.

So for this to be consistent with Emily's reports, X1 would have to be a placeholder, and the NX delay was due to the new X2 chip not being ready,  not to mention X2 would satisfy the "industry leading chips" quote.  X1 is old now...

Not taking any of this as gospel but hopefully this pushes Nintendo to reveal NX ASAP.

Around the Network

I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing what it looks like.

Lube Me Up

Detachable controllers could have some kind of new gimmick to them, some kind of new layout maybe.

A mobile console with a large screen on it that goes anywhere with detachable controllers that invites people to gather around and play together is a very Nintendo-like concept.

Ubi Soft already announced Just Dance for it, so the controller probably has some motion component to it, unless they're using 10+ year old Wiimotes which I doubt (time to let those die). 

Soundwave said:
$300 isn't expensive if its a functional Android tablet too. Nintendo could fork the Android OS and make money off Android apps ... I think that's actually a huge part of the appeal to this concept to them.

$300 - iPad Mini, plays just iOS software only functionally as a tablet

$300 - Nintendo NX, plays Android games/apps, but also Nintendo games, VC, can double as a home console, has motion controllers.

Lots of parents may opt for the latter for their kids.

That's actually a pretty good deal!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing what it looks like.

Imagine Nintendo taking home a 30% cut of all mobile profits (instead of Apple or Google) ... Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Pokemon Go (lol) on this device too.

You can see the appeal immediately.

A 16GB iPad Mini is actually $399.99, lol. If Nintendo could offer a $299.99 NX with Android games, apps, and Nintendo games + home console play, if I'm a parent I may look at that instead of having to buy them the damn iPad + another $300 gaming console. If one device could keep the kiddies happy I think a lot of parents would be happy with that. 

The one thing detachable controllers introduce too that normal tablets can't really do is simultaneous multiplayer gaming on a tablet like device. Right now kids do play mobile games together, but it mostly consists of passing the tablet around and taking turns, Nintendo would have a feature with detachable controllers that no tablet really uses today. 

So there's that too.