By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

An interesting video comparing Maxwell (X1) and Pascal (X2) architecture clock per clock performance and it is about identical. All of the performance boost comes from higher clock speeds through the improved 16nm fab. process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaekpMBYUA

Around the Network
Akeos said:

I think that there is an error of analysis in the equation…
In spite of its energy efficiency, X will tegra it remains a large electricity consumer… One will need a large battery, therefore a large portable console, with according to eurogamers, an active cooling system!

The market of the portables aims mainly young people… Will Nintendo try to sell to the parents a portable with 300€? There is nona direction… There is not really again concept…e games smartphone, games portable, games living room but all will leave on NX…

I wouldn't  be so sure of this "The Media Create group did a study on the demographics of Pokemon X & Y players, and they found a majority of them are college kids ages 19-24."  We also can't forget that a huge part of DS (specifically DS lite) and Wii's appeal is that it appealed to adults just as much as kids.

In any case. Kids are very comfortable with tablets sized devices in 2016 and the 3DSXL was significantly more popular than its smaller counter part. Underlying the "ifs" and "buts", the NX has to do what it does well. That means the Handheld needs to be beefy enough to run games like Zelda and Xenoblade CX without much complication. Smaller, cheaper iterations of the device will be available down the road making it more accessible for a very youngaudience no doubt, but kids are never the first to run out and buy new tech anyway.

We can't ignore that making the base system a viable high-end tablet is also the most obvious way for them to reach out casual gamers and even non gamers, people who both Nintendo and ubisoft have kind of referenced in regards to the success of the NX. Nintendo said they want to go back to Wii era profits, that won't happen by just releasing a traditional dedicated gaming handheld as that market is in decline.

teigaga said:
Guys is this a typo? i don't quite get this detail

"A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV."

The brain of the console is in the controller, the same controller that are described as detachable?

Yes, it's a mistake. I'm sure they mean that the brain is in the handheld.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Soundwave said:

Smartest thing Nintendo could do at this point IMO.

Sony/MS have monopolized the traditional console market and are oversaturating it with PS4 Neo and XB Scorpio, I always thought a hybrid would give Nintendo a shot at bringing something different to the table and build around their strength -- portable hardware, every portable Nintendo system has outsold its console counterpart since the SNES era.

This should get very good Japanese support at least, which the Wii U didn't, even the Wii was kinda iffy, provided it can handle XB1 ports (downscaled a bit).

Typical laughable soundwave stupidity. Give up this life of trolling and grow up.

User was moderated for several posts in here ~ CGI

Soundwave said:

They could be using the Tegra X2/Parker chip instead, that is the new Nvidia chip they are reportedly showing at the end of August this year.

The Tegra X1 is fairly old by this point. Though with Nintendo who knows.

Maybe it could have two power modes ... 

Portable mode (400 GFLOP; resolution is reduced to 960x540 or 640x480, some effects can be reduced, consumes 6-10 watts/hour). 

Home mode plugged in to wall (ramps up to 800 GFLOP-1 TFLOP, 720p-1080p resolution depending on the game consumes 16-20 watts/hour). 

hahahahha. I though you were over with this BS but here we go again with the ridiculous specs.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

If Nintendo wants Nvidia to stay quiet, they will stay quiet.

I've been following Nintendo for 20+ years, I've followed every one of their systems announced from the N64 onwards (announced in 1993 as Project: Reality), and I will say NX is the most secretive *by far*.

We've gotten basically nothing/nada on it for almost 18 freaking months.

It's likely Nintendo has told Nvidia not to say anything, besides if it was known well in advance that a Nvidia Tegra chip was linked to Nintendo it would've been easy to speculate about the nature of the system since that is not a home processor.

AMD doesn't have great experience with mobile chips by the way. They have the Mullins chip which is even more obscure than the Tegra. Nvidia has considerably more experience and a more proven architecture for a device that's supposed to be carried around on the go and isn't a giant laptop. Nvidia was already commited to making a Tegra X2/Parker chip too, AMD basically has nothing in the pipeline that's comparable. 

People need to let AMD go, besides of the contract wins that AMD was talking about, PS4 Neo, XBox Scorpio, and XBox One S basically do account for the three contracts they could have been talking about.

The whole "it makes more sense for Nintendo to ... XYZ" is tiresome, Nintendo doesn't give a fuck what makes sense, they march to the beat of their own drum. If we went by that logic the Wii wouldn't exist because nothing about it made sense to the average core gamer beforehand. Neither would the DS for that matter, because it wouldn't make "sense" to waste money on a second screen when the need to compete head with the PSP or Sony could take their portable market away, blah, blah, blah. Nintendo never operates in a straight forward way. 

HAHAHAHAHA. grasping at straws at it's finest. neo and scorpio, sure but X1 S? lolololol

NX is a home console, period. If there’s any truth to eurogamer’s ridiculous claims, it can only be that someone saw the NX controller, thought it was a handheld and distorted the facts. A controller shapped like the pro controller (same buttons, except zl and zr as pressure sensible triggers) that detaches in two halves that work like the wiimote + nunchuck and even attach to a the sides of a touchscreen makes perfect sense for NX. An universal controller.