By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

daredevil.shark said:
Current management of Nintendo needs to evaluate all plans made in Iwata era. Because current management is the only one capable for identifying a flop and hit. I was expecting a powerful console with normal controllers.

I don't know what in the past few years could have ever given you such obviously wrong expectations.

Around the Network

SuperMetaldave64 makes some great points in his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4AlnlYenc

He talks about how Eurogamer were wrong about the specs of the Vita and 3DS.
Eurogamer claimed the Nintendo DS2 (which turned out to be the 3DS) would have an NVidia Tegra 2 processor, in the end it had a PICA200 and Eurogamer said Sony PSP2 (which became the PS Vita) would have an IMG, though final Vita ended up having a PowerVR Chip, so we can't take Eurogamer or the sources involved in this recent rumor as fact.

Dave also points out that NVidia hasn't revealed that they have won any gaming console or handheld hardware business, there's no connection between Nintendo and NVidia. While it's possible that Nvidia could be keeping quiet about any involvement with Nintendo it's not likely that they would keep quiet about general business within the gaming space.
It makes little sense for NVidia to not say anything about making money anywhere.

spemanig said:
daredevil.shark said:
Current management of Nintendo needs to evaluate all plans made in Iwata era. Because current management is the only one capable for identifying a flop and hit. I was expecting a powerful console with normal controllers.

I don't know what in the past few years could have ever given you such obviously wrong expectations.

In past few years people voted with their wallet. I thought Nintendo learned something. Well their way to "differenciate" themselves from the competition didn't paid well last time. Plus smartphones have already seriously impacted handHELP consoles and future isn't looking too good either. 

Personally I don't like mobile gaming. Want to play in big screen in my comfy couch. If NX is hybrid then it kinda conforms Nintendo is semi-retiring from home console arena.

Funny thning is that hardcore Nintendo enthusiasts are Nintendos biggest enemy. And this site has many. Because sometimes they are in plain denial. Well. I would like to see Nintendo doing well. But given current prospect it's not very encouraging.

JustBeingReal said:

Eurogamer claimed the Nintendo DS2 (which turned out to be the 3DS) would have an NVidia Tegra 2 processor, in the end it had a PICA200 and Eurogamer said Sony PSP2 (which became the PS Vita) would have an IMG, though final Vita ended up having a PowerVR Chip, so we can't take Eurogamer or the sources involved in this recent rumor as fact.

Dave also points out that NVidia hasn't revealed that they have won any gaming console or handheld hardware business, there's no connection between Nintendo and NVidia. While it's possible that Nvidia could be keeping quiet about any involvement with Nintendo it's not likely that they would keep quiet about general business within the gaming space.
It makes little sense for NVidia to not say anything about making money anywhere.

Yeah, I saw that video last night.  Good points.  We have nothing about design wins from NVidia and yet AMD has stated they have several related to the game space.

But it's hard to believe that so many sources would be so blatantly wrong on this... unless Nintendo leaked false info intentionally?  

JustBeingReal said:

I think it's come out after the fact that Nvidia and Nintendo were in deep negotiations for the 3DS chip, Nintendo bailed at the last minute in favor of the Pica200 which was an out of left field choice, probably because Nvidia was asking for too much $$$.

I think this time Nvidia probably caved and gave Nintendo a very, very low price. 

What is IMG? Imagination? Because they do make the PowerVR chips. 

Nintendo simply could have told Nvidia that they can't talk about any chip deals/contract wins, I don't see why that would be surprising. 

Supermetaldave is just upset that his theory of a Polaris powered large box Nintendo PS4-style console looks debunked at this point. 

Around the Network
archbrix said:
JustBeingReal said:

Yeah, I saw that video last night.  Good points.  We have nothing about design wins from NVidia and yet AMD has stated they have several related to the game space.

But it's hard to believe that so many sources would be so blatantly wrong on this... unless Nintendo leaked false info intentionally?  

We dont even know how many sources they are talking about, 2-3-10-50? Multiple sources is a pretty vage statement right there.  This whole NX-rumour-saga is really starting to take a toll on me. I want to frikking now, yet I cant stop following everything that is mentioned everywhere hehe.

Boasting about design wins is kind of a new thing, in the past AMD never boasted about the Wii or Wii U design wins, Pica never did for the 3DS, so I doubt Nintendo allows any of their vendors to talk/hint about any of their business with Nintendo beforehand.

archbrix said:

Sources can be anyone, no offence to anyone but don't mistake the word source for someone who actually is involved with a project or is actually credible.

archbrix said:
JustBeingReal said:

This is very true, like I said before NVidia could just be staying quiet about having a gaming related product, but so far, from what I've read it sounds like they're only using their tegra products in cars and servers going forward, maybe tablet devices that do a bit of gaming stuff on the side, but nothing has been revealed about them having business in the dedicated gaming device market.

Unless I've missed it?

As for the last part of your post, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did that, to throw people off of the mark and draw their attention towards a different angle than they're actually taking.

Soundwave said:
JustBeingReal said:

I think it's come out after the fact that Nvidia and Nintendo were in deep negotiations for the 3DS chip, Nintendo bailed at the last minute in favor of the Pica200 which was an out of left field choice, probably because Nvidia was asking for too much $$$.

I think this time Nvidia probably caved and gave Nintendo a very, very low price. 

What is IMG? Imagination? Because they do make the PowerVR chips. 

Nintendo simply could have told Nvidia that they can't talk about any chip deals/contract wins, I don't see why that would be surprising. 

Supermetaldave is just upset that his theory of a Polaris powered large box Nintendo PS4-style console looks debunked at this point. 

Point is that Eurogamer acted like Nvidia was the final product, when Nintendo were planning on using something different.

Maybe the Vita example was a wrong one for me to use, but the 3DS wasn't.

Nintendo wouldn't be in the position of power, it would be an even thing, I doubt Nvidia would have to stay quiet about a general bit of business information, it's something they have to tell their investors, because it's financial information, pertinant to something that could effect stock prices.

Nothing about Nintendo potentially using an AMD product has been debunked, not until Nintendo comes out with information about NX and they either reveal the specs of the system or some independent website does a teardown of NX. Dave has no reason to be upset, tbh what he's said makes more logical sense, given Nintendo's long standing relationship with AMD and their products also being used in systems that most games are built on.

It makes more sense for Nintendo to try and gain back 3rd party support, than for them to intentionally buck that trend. Even with Wii U they tried to gain 3rd party support and had it in the beginning. Trying to get 3rd party support on their handheld could potentially result in a huge amount of business for them, far larger than they would get by just using their own games and the odd bit of indie and Japanese titles.

We also have the fact that AMD have said they have new gaming hardware business, with them being long term Nintendo partners and providing tech for other dedicated gaming hardware partners who have done well in their hardware sales, it just reinforces the point of why Nintendo would go with AMD.

Their tech is proven within the dedicated gaming space, it's easy for everyone to develop games for, especially Nintendo, who have been using it for 3 console generations now. AMD has both products for mobile and home tech, their tech is used to build most of the console games on and it can be power efficient for Nintendo's needs, sure NVidia's can too, but they don't have as much experience as AMD do.

Nothing's a given, but this Eurogamer article doesn't show any connections between NVidia and Nintendo, it doesn't link to a source for this information and neither have NVidia said they have any business in this market.

No one should be taking this Tegra NX talk as fact, it should be taken with a pinch of salt.