By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

zero129 said:
setsunatenshi said:

small problem though... according to Eurogamer there is no Android OS in the console but a Nintendo custom OS

This could still be a "Nintendo" Custom Fork of Android OS. Like it could still be possible for it to play all the Android games, only you have to buy them on the Nintendo Store. Kinda like Amazon's Store.

sure, that is a possibility. but i personally wouldn't bet on it if i had to. there are royalties involved in using android though, and judging from Nintendo's history they are very hesitant to license tech like this. also if they opened up for android it could expose them to piracy pretty early in the console's lifecycle (due to android being such an open and well known platform).

if Nintendo had the sense I don't think they do, they'd just stop with the hardware nonsense and dedicate themselves to software development, going full multiplat. smart money is on that as we've seen from pokemon go for example

Around the Network

Yeah those detachable controllers make no sense. They're too small and don't have enough buttons. Either this leak is fake or that mock up is completely wrong.

So basically we're looking at a native 1080p Wii U level games console.

zero129 said:
setsunatenshi said:

sure, that is a possibility. but i personally wouldn't bet on it if i had to. there are royalties involved in using android though, and judging from Nintendo's history they are very hesitant to license tech like this. also if they opened up for android it could expose them to piracy pretty early in the console's lifecycle (due to android being such an open and well known platform).

if Nintendo had the sense I don't think they do, they'd just stop with the hardware nonsense and dedicate themselves to software development, going full multiplat. smart money is on that as we've seen from pokemon go for example

Im not sure on this but, i think Android works like Linux and if a company wants to make their own Custom one they can without paying anyone.

But if they use one by another company they have to pay?.

I'm pretty sure Android and Linux are open Source, but maybe the is royalties involved when that OS is bundled with a payed platform?.

Like i said im not sure on how it all works, maybe someone better could explain?.

oh no no no... google licences android to hardware manufacturers, it is definitely not open source in any way. of course compared to the tight grip apple has on ios it might seems a lot more open platform in terms of customization.

other than this, there are guidelines for the software markets. not sure how the current policy is right now, but google pretty much frowns on selling software outside the playstore (in which they take a considerable cut per sale).

This sound cool if true.

Whatever the case, what absolutely NEEDS to happen for the NX is for Nintendo to consolidate to that ONE platform instead of being stretched thin between THREE like they currently are.

Around the Network

GOWTLOZ said:
zero129 said:

That Tegra X1 is a pretty powerful chip that no dev has made any game just for it and is playing PC ports with its current batch of games.

I have a feeling if it is this chip and not the X2 that Nintendo is using (I really do think it ill be the X2) it wont just be the normal version, but instead a custom more powerful one or one that will scale its clock speed when hooked up to a power source.

Tegra X1 has a processing power of 1 Tflops, which is a lot lower than PS4's 1.8 Tflops. FF VII Remake already looks like it is pushing the PS4 hardware. Even if overclocked it would be less than required. I don't know if Tegra X2 exists yet xD

Thats only at fp16 (half rate floating points) though. That is when its at 1 Tflops.

PS4 is 1.84 teraflops at FULL rate (fp32).

If you want to do a direct compairison you need to use the full rate floating point performance of the Tegra X1.

Which is 512 gflops.

ei. a Tegra X1 is less than 1/3 of a PS4 in graphics performance.

With it being Arm, and alot less powerfull graphically, you might not see some of the most demanding PS4 games, ever ported to the NX.

Unless the NX really sells well, it might not be worth the effort to port them if its too hard (differnt cpu, differnt gpu(&weaker),... could make things hard)

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

The detachable controllers could be motion wands, they could have some kind of new control input that encourages people to gather around the LCD display and play together. 

Sounds right up Nintendo's ally. Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. 

For a lot of people if you described the Wii concept to them in 2004, it wouldn't make sense because no way would Nintendo make a console with a vertical single hand controller with little/no graphical update to the GameCube, no dual analog, etc. etc. etc. 

Alright, smart guy. If this thing is supposed to be a console portable hybrid, how is someone supposed to play their motion games on the go?

It doesn't make sense.

It could just be part of the functionality of the system, to allow you to be able to use the system in that way if you want to. Having options is a good thing and it gives Nintendo something else to sell for this platform.

Perhaps it's also to make it so you can put the system on a table in front of you and control it a bit more conveniantly than if you had to hold your hands out with the system in front of you.

If the system was just a tablet that can be plugged into your TV or stream to it that's a bit more limited and incorporating motion remotes means the system has that control system built in.

Maybe having those controls means you can have local multiplayer on one device, on the go, so you can sit on a train or in a coffee shop, detach a controller for each person and both play a game together, for no extra cost, once your done you reconnect the remotes and your on your way. Seems like it's about flexibility, which IMO could be a great selling point for gamers who play on the go.

TBH I don't see many reasons why Nintendo couldn't do this or why they shouldn't, something fixed to work one way is limited, but added options mean the device can mold to do what users want. Does it hurt you to have this be a part of the system's capabilities? No, the only thing that could be a problem is if someone steals one remote, but if Nintendo sold them cheap people could at least buy a replacement easily.

This sounds really exciting and compelling.

I hope Nintendo finds huge success with the NX as they're a major contributor to the dedicated console industry and the gaming industry overall. I think all of their past lessons will culminate in a highly focused experience that'll be close to impossible to ignore as a gamer. I'm hyped about a Nintendo product in a way I haven't been in many, many years :D

That unified library. All home console and handheld Nintendo exclusives on a single device with potential 3rd party support from both former home console and handheld developers. Personally, I think that's very compelling. Now I just need an announcement of a fully fledged 3D Pokémon Adventure and PlayStation may be dethroned regarding attention in my house XD

JRPGfan said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Tegra X1 has a processing power of 1 Tflops, which is a lot lower than PS4's 1.8 Tflops. FF VII Remake already looks like it is pushing the PS4 hardware. Even if overclocked it would be less than required. I don't know if Tegra X2 exists yet xD

Thats only at fp16 (half rate floating points) though. That is when its at 1 Tflops.

PS4 is 1.84 teraflops at FULL rate (fp32).

If you want to do a direct compairison you need to use the full rate floating point performance of the Tegra X1.

Which is 512 gflops.

ei. a Tegra X1 is less than 1/3 of a PS4 in graphics performance.

With it being Arm, and alot less powerfull graphically, you might not see some of the most demanding PS4 games, ever ported to the NX.

Unless the NX really sells well, it might not be worth the effort to port them if its too hard (differnt cpu, differnt gpu(&weaker),... could make things hard)

Yeah, based on the rumored Tegra X1version, it's hard to imagine the NX being capable of much more than higher res and stabler framerate Wii U games (with anti aliasing).