By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

spemanig said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Ah, thank you. I was hurting my brain trying to picture how this is supposed to work.

It's still confusing to me. Like what's the point of having the controllers detatchable like that? Why is there one controller with only directional inputs? Are you supposed to play games differently when the thing is docked vs when it's not? Are there no trigger/shoulder buttons just for this mock up?

So it plays like a normal handheld with the controller attachments. Like a Vita/GBA etc.

When you want to play on the TV you remove the controller attachments and dock the screen portion. 

Then you use the controller attachments like this to game on the TV

Its like having 2 Wiimotes but with a normal controllers buttons.

At least that seems like what the rumor suggest to me anyway

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
spemanig said:

It's still confusing to me. Like what's the point of having the controllers detatchable like that? Why is there one controller with only directional inputs? Are you supposed to play games differently when the thing is docked vs when it's not? Are there no trigger/shoulder buttons just for this mock up?

So it plays like a normal handheld with the controller attachments. Like a Vita/GBA etc.

When you want to play on the TV you remove the controller attachments and dock the screen portion. 

Where have you been all thread?!

$300 isn't expensive if its a functional Android tablet too. Nintendo could fork the Android OS and make money off Android apps ... I think that's actually a huge part of the appeal to this concept to them.

$300 - iPad Mini, plays just iOS software only functionally as a tablet

$300 - Nintendo NX, plays Android games/apps, but also Nintendo games, VC, can double as a home console, has motion controllers.

Lots of parents may opt for the latter for their kids.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility."

This is a good thing if true. It means Nintendo will have to make sure there are a lot of high quality new titles on the NX. Wii Us I'm sure will be reduced in price soon given how little they sell.

But if all this is true, and they go the integra x1 route, chances are porting to Wii U would be easy. Could be why they said Wii U would not stop being supported. Notice the games they mention were also Xbox 360 and PS3, but running at a higher res and better frame rates. 

SpokenTruth said:
Portable means it will be small.

That means 2 book-ended controllers will be small.

That means not fun to use when playing on the big screen.

To be full sized controllers means the portability factor is poor.

Overall....something has to give or this to work. Functioning controllers or portability.

They can just sell a larger controller separately for home use. One will most likely be included with the dock as well.

Or, better yet, just allow people to use their Pro controllers with this console.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
$300 isn't expensive if its a functional Android tablet too. Nintendo could fork the Android OS and make money off Android apps ... I think that's actually a huge part of the appeal to this concept to them.

$300 - Nintendo NX, plays Android games/apps, but also Nintendo games, VC, can double as a home console, has motion controllers.

That... actually sounds really freaking good.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Where have you been all thread?!

Sorry, was playing Rocket League and reading thread between games

Soundwave said:

small problem though... according to Eurogamer there is no Android OS in the console but a Nintendo custom OS

ktay95 said:
spemanig said:

That's what suggests to me too.

zero129 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The issue with that is that it will also be expensive and well beyond the "impluse buy" category. We saw what happened when the 3ds and vita tried going past $200 mark but if it uses the latest X2, it will probably be around $300+. It will also be a battery drain underload which is also another essh worthy thing.

Maybe they got a great deal with Nvida?. Atm the only thing that uses them chips is Nvidas own Hardware (And they are not doing too good here). By having another console/handheld that uses it and could very well get lots of support is pretty much good news for NVida too.

Also i hear the Tegra chips are built around being good with power, so id imagine the battery life would be ok?.

Doubt it... Its Nvidia. If other manufacturers couldn't get it, I doubt Nintendo can. Not saying its impossbile but highly unlikely.

They are good with power but when you take into account added things like a screen, speakers, camera and etc, it all adds up. Heck, most phones which are even better with power can't even do 6 hours of consistant gaming so... 

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850