By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

can't wait to read all the flip flops from the people who thought the NX would be a beast in terms of performance. I might dust off some old posts where I predicted this would actually be the 3ds replacement, not exactly a console that would compete with the PS4, etc.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
spemanig said:

They released a mock up.

If this is true, I get the references to casuals. Those things look like Wiimotes.

Ah, thank you. I was hurting my brain trying to picture how this is supposed to work.

It's still confusing to me. Like what's the point of having the controllers detatchable like that? Why is there one controller with only directional inputs? Are you supposed to play games differently when the thing is docked vs when it's not? Are there no trigger/shoulder buttons just for this mock up?

Is this to scale? Because the screen on the detatched image is wider than the screen on the attached. Why does it need a screen at all when it is in dock mode if the controllers are detached from it? Is it for UI?

what? Nintendo Nvidia Shield??

jason1637 said:

The 3DS and Wii online is pretty bad but the Wii U has a solid online service. Its not as good as PSN or XBLive but its a decent online service. Also the reception of Pokken was a lot better than Sticker Star and there are people that enjoy sticker star. Pokken is doing really well. According to NPD it has already outsold SFV and Street Fighter is an established ip.

If the system sells well and is decently powered then the system will sell well. There is a rumor saying its only a little bit weaker than the xbox one which means third parties is still a possible. Since this is a hybrid it already a given that it will sell 20 million in Japan alone and 10 million here in the US.

There are Nintendo fans that only play consoles so by having a hybrid the hardcore console fans will buy, the hardcore handheld fans will buy, and so will the casuals.

Again, Pokken is not even the same genre, and has sold under a million copies.  Why exactly do you think that decisions regarding a 10 million + selling RPG franchise should be made based on a 1 millionish selling fighting game?  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

"If the system sells well and is decently powered then the system will sell well."

Well ummmmmm... yeah if it sells well, then it will sell wel.  That's kind of a given.  If this rumor is to be believed, then the power will be significantly less than the XBox One.  And, if they do manage to get a customized Tegra chip that can produce XBox One level graphics in a portable form, while maintaining adequete battery life and heat production, then this thing isn't going to be cheap.   It is not a given that this will sell anything anywhere.  

How many Wii U fans are there that didn't buy the 3DS?  At the absolute most there are 15 million or so, assuming that EVERY Wii U owner did not buy a 3DS.  It's far more likely that the actual number is 5 million or less.  So adding the hardcore console fans to the handheld fans doesn't help much at all.  It will still sell about the same as a dedicated handheld would have sold.

As for the casuals, what about this rumor makes you think this would be any more appealing to casual gamers than Nintendo's stuff already is?  

zero129 said:
Sh1nn said:

WiiU - 176GF
360 - 240GF
Xbox One - 1.3TF
PS4 - 1.8TF
Stock Tegra X1 (NX) - 512GF

I also think people are missing the part that this could very well be using the Tegra X2. So it could very well be just as powerful as the X1, and for a Handheld console that would be amazing.

its tegra x1

Nvidia is providing the core technology that powers Nintendo's next generation NX console. Multiple sources have confirmed that the new machine is based around Nvidia's mobile-orientated Tegra processor, with development kits currently using the Tegra X1 chip found in the Shield Android TV console and the Google Pixel C tablet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Sh1nn said:

WiiU - 176GF
360 - 240GF
Xbox One - 1.3TF
PS4 - 1.8TF
Stock Tegra X1 (NX) - 512GF

I also think people are missing the part that this could very well be using the Tegra X2. So it could very well be just as powerful as the X1, and for a Handheld console that would be amazing.

The issue with that is that it will also be expensive and well beyond the "impluse buy" category. We saw what happened when the 3ds and vita tried going past $200 mark but if it uses the latest X2, it will probably be around $300+. It will also be a battery drain underload which is also another essh worthy thing.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Also, this looks too much like the GamePad, which people were already confusing for a Wii controller or that the GamePad was the system itself.

Imagine how many people are going to look at this and think it's just a GamePad remodel for the old Wii system called the NX.

Tegra X1 is pretty awesome for a portable, but pretty shitty for a console, lol. Oh well.

Best to think of this thing as mostly a portable.

spemanig said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Ah, thank you. I was hurting my brain trying to picture how this is supposed to work.

It's still confusing to me. Like what's the point of having the controllers detatchable like that? Why is there one controller with only directional inputs? Are you supposed to play games differently when the thing is docked vs when it's not? Are there no trigger/shoulder buttons just for this mock up?

Is this to scale? Because the screen on the detatched image is wider than the screen on the attached. Why does it need a screen at all when it is in dock mode if the controllers are detached from it? Is it for UI?

The whole thing is suspicious. Like the WiiU, it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And it would be too complicated for the plug-and-play crowd and too low-tech for the graphics fetishists. 

I'm hopeful it's just another rumor.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

The whole thing is suspicious. Like the WiiU, it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And it would be too complicated for the plug-and-play crowd and too low-tech for the graphics fetishists. 

I'm hopeful it's just another rumor.

Same.

RolStoppable said:

"Why do things not make sense when somebody makes shit up?"

You've made your point.