By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

Didn't this happen before too? Lol.

Around the Network
maxleresistant said:
This is what's wrong with the stock market...

I think Nintendo deserve their success, but overinflation of stock prices is what's hurting our economy today.

I hope one day the stock market completely disappear.

You can mainly thank the fed for the overinflated stock prices.  I hope one day the federal reserve will completely disappear.

Nintendo's stock price has now officially more than doubled since Go's release. Near 38$/share vs. Sony's 30$... I had no idea a single game could bring a company so far...oh yeah, Pokemon RGB did the same thing lol

Soundwave said:
JRPGfan said:
I dont think thats a sustainable level... wouldnt be surprised if theres some trying to "short" the stock now.

I think it can go higher. 

Pokmeon Go is not even out in Japan, which could be the largest market for the game. 

Beyond that Nintendo hasn't even released any of their other IP catalog on smartphones. Not only that they could release several different Pokemon games on iOS/Android, and then there's Mario and Animal Crossing and many more yet to come. 

Do you really think the user numbers of Pokémon GO are going to stay this high? The game doesn't have very much depth at the moment, and once it will, a lot of users might already have left the game. Even now, when the game is merely weeks old, some players are reporting getting bored with the game due to how little variety it has. Personally, I'm expecting the user numbers to rise as the game is launched in new regions, but the numbers will decline due to the game's repetitive nature (as well as more natural decline that occurs with all games). But as the situation stabilizes, I would expect Nintendo's stock price to stabilize as well, and I'm kind of thinking this kind of a sharp rise isn't sustainable.

Also, I agree that Nintendo's other franchises have potential, but realizing that potential will probably be quite difficult. The mobile market is extremely contended and requires extreme care to get into. Thus, I'd say the risks are also high, for both the better and the worse. I also think this is one of the reasons Nintendo hasn't rushed to the market yet despite being in an otherwise unfavorable situation.

I swear I was trying to tell some friends and family to invest into Nintendo recently and no one took my advice. I should have taken my money out of my mutual funds and dumped it into a brokerage link account and invested it all into Nintendo. Looks like I'm too late for that and I probably should have taken my own advice.

Around the Network

It'll be interesting to see if they can keep the stock price that high once the initial hype on Pokémon Go dies down. Right now just about everyone is playing it, but to be perfectly honest, as the game is now it really doesn't feel like something with long term staying power. They need to bring new stuff to it polish what's already there to keep people playing. Getting the servers fixed would be a good start.

Damn! So Pokemon Go is worth as much as nintendo without it?

Kerotan said:
Looks like I'm proved right. I've always said mobile is the place for Nintendo. And all they did was release 1 pokemon spin off title and it benefits them more then the 3DS and Wii U combined.

As I've always said. If Nintendo shift their focus to Android and iOS they will drown in cash.

Or you know, since one doesn't distract from the other, continue to support both hardware and mobile.

Now all they need to do is sustain it! Dat Pokemon Go Hype

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Miyamotoo said:
Mnementh said:

Pokemon Go needs GPS and mobile Internet, both would be new to Nintendo handhelds. Besides that I think Niantic has enough work to do (fix the freezes) so that they cannot support another platform. People seem to forget that Pokemon Go isn't a Nintendo game, it is a Niantic game with Pokemon license.

Well, we still dont know what exactly what is NX, maybe is home console with controller that can be act like standalone handheld. Pokemon Company can port game to NX. People seems to forget that whole Pokemon GO project is started buy Nintendo even game is mostly developed by Niantic alone, not to mention that Nintendo directly invest in project and they are involved in project though Pokemon Company also.

Porting from Pokemon Company means Niantic gives the source code to Pokemon Company. Maybe, maybe not happen.

If Nintendo is so much involved in Pokemon Go, why where is no Nintendo Logo at all in Pokemon Go? It only show Pokemon Company - which manages the licenses of the Pokemon franchise.

And despite we not knowing what NX is, to port Pokemon Go it needs GPS and mobile internet (if it is an handheld at all). That are really big question marks.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]