By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

Soundwave said:
RavenXtra said:

Shifting focus implies that less attention will be paid to their consoles & software in favor of mobile. Nintendo wants to use mobile as a way to drive interest of their dedicated platforms, so there is no need for this shift.

This may have been the initial plan, but I think it will need to be ammended a bit. Mobile could soon be the majority money maker for Nintendo, it's only logical that it get attention and care from Nintendo for its own merits because it's a huge money maker for them. 

Still Nintendo's balanced this stuff before, it's not like the success of Brain Training and Wii Sports meant no more traditional Mario or Zelda or Metroid (though E3 2008 with Wii Music was teetering on vomit-worthy). 

If anything, maybe this time Nintendo will do it right by pushing all of their casual/ultra-gimmicky stuff on mobile while leaving their hardware alone to just churn out games that are aimed at core gamers without trying to shoehorn gimmicks into them when they aren't necessary like in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RavenXtra said:

Shifting focus implies that less attention will be paid to their consoles & software in favor of mobile. Nintendo wants to use mobile as a way to drive interest of their dedicated platforms, so there is no need for this shift.

This may have been the initial plan, but I think it will need to be ammended a bit. Mobile could soon be the majority money maker for Nintendo, it's only logical that it get attention and care from Nintendo for its own merits because it's a huge money maker for them. 

Still Nintendo's balanced this stuff before, it's not like the success of Brain Training and Wii Sports meant no more traditional Mario or Zelda or Metroid (though E3 2008 with Wii Music was teetering on vomit-worthy). 

And I don't think there's any harm in balancing the two, I'm just not seeing the logic behind tipping the scales toward mobile when Nintendo's core business has been making dedicated machines and releasing software for them for over three decades.

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:
This is good and all, especially for Nintendo, I just hope they don't loose interest in their hardware and console software markets. I hope this acts as a huge (and lucrative) PR campaign for Nintendo, driving sales of their HW and SW.

Pokémon GO has really been an impressive success, one that probably caught Nintendo off guard. I think THIS has opened their eyes to what the mobile scene could mean for them. Miitomo had a successful launch, but lost momentum, Pokémon GO however...

I think Nintendo knew it already, that's why they made the decision to begin with. And there's no risk that they'll lose interest in their core business. While people are obsessed with talking about Pokémon Go, the more interesting news seems to fly under the radar. Since the release of Pokémon Go in the USA, several older Pokémon games have shot up on the Amazon.com rankings, pulling 3DS hardware and Mario and Zelda titles along with it. Similar things should be happening at Gamestop. While there are no sales numbers to quantify the effect yet, it's enough to confirm that synergy between Nintendo's mobile games and their dedicated hardware is very realistic, and that's what Nintendo had planned for since the beginning of their decision to make mobile games.

Profit and revenue from Nintendo's core business will be higher than what they make on mobile, but that shouldn't come as a surprise when ~95% of mobile users will not spend money on free-to-play apps. 3DS and Wii U were rejected by the market to varying degrees, so the beneficial effects on dedicated Nintendo hardware will be far greater in the future, provided NX doesn't commit the same mistakes as 3DS and Wii U.

I'm not sure they knew just how big it would be. As I understand it, Niantic approached Nintendo about making this game. That right there is quite telling how interested Nintendo really were in the mobile market; not all that much. But I think that perspective have changed.

Yeah, I saw that news here, I think, that HW and SW were up as a side effect of Pokémon GO, which is awesome. I know that you've argued that this was the whole point for Nintendo going mobile and it I think it worked even better than Nintendo had hoped it would. I think GO exceeded all of Nintendo's expactations. If Nintendo can continue to make these kind of impact with upcoming mobile releases... Man... They'll be a dominating force.

Nintendo might be facing great times ahead, IF they don't fuck up the NX and NX portable. I'm still hoping for a hybrid; there's so many games I'd like to take with me when I'm forced to go outside and leave a gaming session behind. Mobile games coupled with more merchandise and extended use of their IP will serve them great, as long as they don't get too greedy. Those are all great means to spread awerness of their IP's.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wow, that's surprising. But we all know it's gonna significantly fall soon, probably around the time the NX is revealed.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Well, If you hold your expectations too high you are certain to fall. And stock value doubling doesn't near mean Nintendo really is more valuable than Sony as a whole (since Sony gaming part at some points were more valuable than the whole group).

If you think like this then you would have to say Pokemon Go values just as much as Nintendo as a whole (with all the buildings, HW developed, IP owned, etc).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I don't think Niantic approaching Nintendo says anything about Nintendo's interest, especially because Niantic will have approached Nintendo after Nintendo's announcement that they want to make mobile games. Niantic provided a clear idea for what they wanted to do and their previous game already delivered the necessary framework, so Nintendo agreed to a partnership because everything fell in line with what they wanted to do on mobile. Pokémon Go is addictive and does not replace Pokémon on dedicated Nintendo hardware, so it's not a threat to Nintendo's core business. A refusal to license out the Pokémon IP would have actually been a better case for the argument of Nintendo being disinterested in mobile. Nintendo's resources are limited, but this partnership allowed them to gain a bigger presence on mobile than they would have got all on their own. It's not that different from the collaborations Nintendo made with various third parties for 3DS and Wii U games.

Well, you're probably right =) But I do wonder how Nintendo will follow up this huge success. It seems to me that they'll either release one "core" game and one "casual" game side by side, or release one of each every second game. I base this asumption on the fact that the next mobile games are Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, one casual and one core. Is this a way to try to capture both markets on mobile? I can see Animal Crossing and Mario Kart being huge successes on mobile (if done right), but Fire Emblem won't have the same impact

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Honestly it is also because the market doesn't know that the profits not just go to Nintendo but also to Niantec.

My guess is Pokemon Go predates the DeNA deal to make full blown Nintendo games on mobile.

The Niantic higher up mentioned they had been working with Mr. Iwata for 2 years ... and that was a comment from last year I believe.

I think what Pokemon Go initially was supposed to be was a way for Nintendo to gauge interest in mobile markets without actually going mobile themselves. So they would test the waters with Pokemon Go, and let the Pokemon Company/Niantic publish it.

But what happened between then and now is Nintendo decided they couldn't ignore mobile period with declining 3DS sales and terrible Wii U sales. So they pulled the trigger on the DeNA deal, but Pokemon Go was already in development so that was going to go ahead anyway.

It's likely when Pokemon Go started as a concept several years ago, Nintendo was planning to move much more slowly into mobile.

Great to see Nintendo going back up, without Nintendo gaming wouldn't be the same so i hope they keep seeing success like this with NX and their next handheld and that they stay in the business of Console Gaming for a loooong time to come.

Go Nintendo !!

Glad to hear that Nintendo is doing so well, wether they are doing better or worse than Sony in the market is not something that I care that much but at least gives a very promising perspective.