By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

I think Animal Crossing Mobile and even Fire Emblem will have fairly large marketing budgets now. 

A few tens of millions invested now could mean billions for Nintendo in share price exploding when they can show they can make other hit mobile games, not just Pokemon. I could even see a Superbowl commercial or a big celebrity brought on board. 

I also imagine the development of both of these games has been ramped up and now will be given whatever resources are necessary to ensure success.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

The choice of Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem has probably more to do with controls than anything else. Animal Crossing isn't an IP with action, so touch controls will be fine to move around and perform a few simple tasks. Fire Emblem is turnbased strategy. FE will definitely not be anywhere as popular as Animal Crossing, but I suppose Nintendo still went ahead with it due to the raising awareness for the IP on Nintendo hardware, with both Awakening and Fates selling more than one million units.

I don't think it's farfetched that Nintendo will promote their various apps within their own apps, so they should be able to feed off each other's popularity. Considering that quite a few of Nintendo's IPs sell throughout the entire lifetime of a video game system, at least a few of Nintendo's mobile ventures should maintain a sustained presence. Animal Crossing definitely has the potential to be one of them. And with regular updates, Pokémon Go should manage to be more than a shortlived fad.

I think both games were great choices by Nintendo.Mykeyboardhasstoppedworkingproperly,soI'mgonnacallitanightandgotobed.#IhatemykeyboardandPC

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

hershel_layton said:
Jesus christ calm down everyone

I hope phone companies quickly make limited edition phones with the game installed(with game credit inside...maybe 50 dollars or 100). I'd love to see a red and white Galaxy Note 6 be released :P

If companies can sponsor the olympics, then it can certainly give pokemon some love

I need a new phone and would buy one that had some Pokemon Go perks attached to it. xD

mountaindewslave said:
Mnementh said:

Porting from Pokemon Company means Niantic gives the source code to Pokemon Company. Maybe, maybe not happen.

If Nintendo is so much involved in Pokemon Go, why where is no Nintendo Logo at all in Pokemon Go? It only show Pokemon Company - which manages the licenses of the Pokemon franchise.

And despite we not knowing what NX is, to port Pokemon Go it needs GPS and mobile internet (if it is an handheld at all). That are really big question marks.

*whispers* Nintendo almost c ertainly has a majority stake in the Pokemon Company when considering their direct 1/3 stake in it AS well as their control over another company they founded (Gamefreak, which is practically excluseively involved with Pokemon). They also already invested into Niantic (as did the Pokemon Company) when it broke off from Google

at this point the Niantic Company is probably partially an independent company and PARTIALLY basically owned by Nintendo (Pok Co + Nintendo)

its the same reason on ANY Pokemon merchandise or games the Pokemon Company logo gets priority over Nintendo's- they're the primary source for their games, but it doesn't change who financially actually controls things for the most part

Majority is greater than 50%. Even currently they have less than Gamefreak does. They own no part of gamefreak as gamefreak appears nowhere in their financial reports. When it comes to the pokemon company Nintendo has been refused rights many times. The only consistent cooperation is with the main series.

RavenXtra said:
Kerotan said:

Where did I say they had to stop supporting console games?  Why do people always negatively make this assumption?  

I said shift their focus because their focus has not been on mobile for a long time and it still isn't (only 1 major game).  

They need to shift their focus and embrace mobile for maximum profits.  Nothing stopping them in the console space like they've always been. 

Shifting focus implies that less attention will be paid to their consoles & software in favor of mobile. Nintendo wants to use mobile as a way to drive interest of their dedicated platforms, so there is no need for this shift.

Well I disagree there anyway.  I definitely think mobile should be the primary focus and consoles the secondary.  A single mobile game doubled the companies value.  I think that proves how perfect a fit for Android and iOS they are.  But by all means continue to support their consoles.  Just don't hold back on mobile.  

Around the Network

I think Nintendo were actually bigger than Toyota at some point during the Wii/DS era, let's see how things look down the line, they need sustainable growth, not huge spikes in either direction.
That said; I'm confident that they're out of the woods and will do well in the next 4-5 years, they seem to have accepted that they need to break norm and tradition to start earning revenue again, even if their efforts with the NX should fail or at least fail to deliver what they're hoping for, they now have a potential market segment to keep the cash flowing and investors happy.

Let's hope it sticks!

It's now less than Sony. Stocks are falling fast. Japan will probably give a boost.

Does anyone know what was the highest ever market cap for Nintendo and Sony?

Nintendo will be investing alot more in mobile games from now on, thats a given.

Kerotan said:
Looks like I'm proved right. I've always said mobile is the place for Nintendo. And all they did was release 1 pokemon spin off title and it benefits them more then the 3DS and Wii U combined.

As I've always said. If Nintendo shift their focus to Android and iOS they will drown in cash.

Miitomo says hi! 

Too early to judge. It might just be selling because of "Pokemon". 

Pocky Lover Boy!