By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

CaptainExplosion said:
Soundwave said:

This is just the beginning IMO. Nintendo could dominate the mobile market, it's possible no one can stop them. 

But the games they make would have to be dumbed down considerably. -_-

I'd prefer if Nintendo went more experimental with their mobile games instead of just lazily trying to push traditional console gameplay experiences or tired mobile forumlas like a lot of AAA developers have done.  Pokemon GO to me has shown that Nintendo can get away with going wild with gimmicky gameplay on mobile because their IPs naturally give them a visibility advantage over the competition and if one of their gimmicks works, it could turn into another phenomenom like Pokemon GO -- except this time they'd get more of the profits.

Around the Network
RavenXtra said:
Kerotan said:
Looks like I'm proved right. I've always said mobile is the place for Nintendo. And all they did was release 1 pokemon spin off title and it benefits them more then the 3DS and Wii U combined.

As I've always said. If Nintendo shift their focus to Android and iOS they will drown in cash.

Or you know, since one doesn't distract from the other, continue to support both hardware and mobile.

Where did I say they had to stop supporting console games?  Why do people always negatively make this assumption?  

I said shift their focus because their focus has not been on mobile for a long time and it still isn't (only 1 major game).  

They need to shift their focus and embrace mobile for maximum profits.  Nothing stopping them in the console space like they've always been. 

Mnementh said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well, we still dont know what exactly what is NX, maybe is home console with controller that can be act like standalone handheld. Pokemon Company can port game to NX. People seems to forget that whole Pokemon GO project is started buy Nintendo even game is mostly developed by Niantic alone, not to mention that Nintendo directly invest in project and they are involved in project though Pokemon Company also.

Porting from Pokemon Company means Niantic gives the source code to Pokemon Company. Maybe, maybe not happen.

If Nintendo is so much involved in Pokemon Go, why where is no Nintendo Logo at all in Pokemon Go? It only show Pokemon Company - which manages the licenses of the Pokemon franchise.

And despite we not knowing what NX is, to port Pokemon Go it needs GPS and mobile internet (if it is an handheld at all). That are really big question marks.

You realise that Pokemon Go is partner project of Nintendo, Pokemon Company and Niantic/Google!? Why they wouldnt give them source code!? Why do you think Nintendo stocks are skyrocket, only because licensing!?

Like I wrote, Nintendo is one of that started whole project:

From the game's announcement event where even miyamoto was present and talking about the project:

"To tell you the truth, I have been working on this project for about two years along with Nintendo's Mr. Iwata, and I really hoped we could make the announcement together. That desire is part of why I decided to hold this conference today."
The Pokémon Company will act as a partner with Niantic, Inc. to move forward with the creation of Pokémon GO.
Not just that, but one more company—Nintendo—has also joined us as a partner on this project.
So today, I would like to talk about this project that Niantic, Inc., Nintendo, and The Pokémon Company are working on."
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/news-from-the-pokemon-go-announcement/

Also this:

Pokemon GO Legal informations

© 2016 Pokémon. © 1995–2016 Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK inc.
Pokémon, Pokémon character names, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Wii, Wii U, and Wiiware are trademarks of Nintendo.
The YouTube logo is a trademark of Google Inc.
Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/legal/

Yes, we don't know anything about NX, but that doesnt mean Pokemon Go cant be on NX in some form.

Mnementh said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well, we still dont know what exactly what is NX, maybe is home console with controller that can be act like standalone handheld. Pokemon Company can port game to NX. People seems to forget that whole Pokemon GO project is started buy Nintendo even game is mostly developed by Niantic alone, not to mention that Nintendo directly invest in project and they are involved in project though Pokemon Company also.

Porting from Pokemon Company means Niantic gives the source code to Pokemon Company. Maybe, maybe not happen.

If Nintendo is so much involved in Pokemon Go, why where is no Nintendo Logo at all in Pokemon Go? It only show Pokemon Company - which manages the licenses of the Pokemon franchise.

And despite we not knowing what NX is, to port Pokemon Go it needs GPS and mobile internet (if it is an handheld at all). That are really big question marks.

*whispers* Nintendo almost c ertainly has a majority stake in the Pokemon Company when considering their direct 1/3 stake in it AS well as their control over another company they founded (Gamefreak, which is practically excluseively involved with Pokemon). They also already invested into Niantic (as did the Pokemon Company) when it broke off from Google

at this point the Niantic Company is probably partially an independent company and PARTIALLY basically owned by Nintendo (Pok Co + Nintendo)

its the same reason on ANY Pokemon merchandise or games the Pokemon Company logo gets priority over Nintendo's- they're the primary source for their games, but it doesn't change who financially actually controls things for the most part

Kerotan said:
RavenXtra said:

Or you know, since one doesn't distract from the other, continue to support both hardware and mobile.

Where did I say they had to stop supporting console games?  Why do people always negatively make this assumption?  

I said shift their focus because their focus has not been on mobile for a long time and it still isn't (only 1 major game).  

They need to shift their focus and embrace mobile for maximum profits.  Nothing stopping them in the console space like they've always been. 

People are probably confusing you with others that have been pushing harder than usual at Nintendo to leave the hardware industry ever since the Pokemon GO phenomenon.

Around the Network

Not sure why this has to be compared to Sony but whatever. It'll be interesting to see how Japan reacts to this game. My guess is they'll go nuts.

Kerotan said:
RavenXtra said:

Shifting focus implies that less attention will be paid to their consoles & software in favor of mobile. Nintendo wants to use mobile as a way to drive interest of their dedicated platforms, so there is no need for this shift.

Come on Pokémon Go. Give me a day with no news about you!

Nintendo Network: xavi707

PSN: xavi0707

KLAMarine said:
Not sure why this has to be compared to Sony but whatever. It'll be interesting to see how Japan reacts to this game. My guess is they'll go nuts.

Probably because Sony is one of Nintendo's main competitors in the hardware market and something of note happened that concerned the two of them.  I'm sure if it were Microsoft instead of Sony, there would be just as much attention put into this bit of news.  I agree too in regards to Pokemon GO in Japan.   I wouldn't be surprised if the daily amount of money this makes over there equals what it makes in the US even with 200m less people.

RavenXtra said:
Kerotan said:

Shifting focus implies that less attention will be paid to their consoles & software in favor of mobile. Nintendo wants to use mobile as a way to drive interest of their dedicated platforms, so there is no need for this shift.

This may have been the initial plan, but I think it will need to be ammended a bit. Mobile could soon be the majority money maker for Nintendo, it's only logical that it get attention and care from Nintendo for its own merits because it's a huge money maker for them. 

Still Nintendo's balanced this stuff before, it's not like the success of Brain Training and Wii Sports meant no more traditional Mario or Zelda or Metroid (though E3 2008 with Wii Music was teetering on vomit-worthy).