By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

Jranation said:
Kerotan said:
Looks like I'm proved right. I've always said mobile is the place for Nintendo. And all they did was release 1 pokemon spin off title and it benefits them more then the 3DS and Wii U combined.

As I've always said. If Nintendo shift their focus to Android and iOS they will drown in cash.

Miitomo says hi! 

Too early to judge. It might just be selling because of "Pokemon". 

It single handedly doubled their value and Go has so much potential to be much better.  Nintendo have a lot of other IPs that could do well on mobile.  

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

Miitomo says hi! 

Too early to judge. It might just be selling because of "Pokemon". 

It single handedly doubled their value and Go has so much potential to be much better.  Nintendo have a lot of other IPs that could do well on mobile.  

The audience is just tailor made for them. They are going take out that market like a chubby kid in a cake store. It basically is the Wii/DS audience but several times larger.

Pavolink said:
Can anyone just check again today market caps? I think the dream is over

According to CNBC.com, Sony's current cap is 38.5 billion and Nintendo's is 32 billion. I expect Sony's to remain fairly steady unless they have either terrible or blockbuster earnings when they report and for Nintendo's to rollercoaster in giant peaks and valleys over the next few weeks, if not months.

And why is that your dream? :)

Nintendo will go past the 30,000 yen range again (stock price) as Pokemon Go grows, but when/if Animal Crossing is also a hit on iOS/Android, that's when their stock will rocket back to the levels it was at in 2007/08, then there will be large separation between them and Sony.

Nuvendil said:
Well that didn't last long :P

Not that I'm shocked Nintendo's stock fell sharply, it was grossly over inflated. Stock can't maintain that kind of growth on pure anticipation, the reality of the current times was bound to catch up. Will still probably stabilize significantly higher than where the stocks were before GO.

It still has to release in many countries and the most important one (Japan). They could also try to release it in China and Korea, which are the biggest mobile game markets, but right now it's not planned.

So the stocks will take a few more jumps. Safe to say Nintendo shares will be like 1.5x or maybe even 2x more expensive than before PoGo released when everything settles down.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Ariakon said:
Pavolink said:
Can anyone just check again today market caps? I think the dream is over

According to CNBC.com, Sony's current cap is 38.5 billion and Nintendo's is 32 billion. I expect Sony's to remain fairly steady unless they have either terrible or blockbuster earnings when they report and for Nintendo's to rollercoaster in giant peaks and valleys over the next few weeks, if not months, so threads like these may be kind of silly in the end. We literally could have made one switching the names in the title today and still been correct. It's pretty likely that Nintendo is going to rise over and fall under Sony quite a few times over the next few weeks. 

The dream was to be over Sony and rub in the face of its fans. I'll go back to my cave... for now...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Ariakon said:

According to CNBC.com, Sony's current cap is 38.5 billion and Nintendo's is 32 billion. I expect Sony's to remain fairly steady unless they have either terrible or blockbuster earnings when they report and for Nintendo's to rollercoaster in giant peaks and valleys over the next few weeks, if not months, so threads like these may be kind of silly in the end. We literally could have made one switching the names in the title today and still been correct. It's pretty likely that Nintendo is going to rise over and fall under Sony quite a few times over the next few weeks. 

The dream was to be over Sony and rub in the face of its fans. I'll go back to my cave... for now...

You'll have several chances, lol. The 27,000-31,000 range the stock is in now, I think will eventually move to 40,000+ when they release more mobile games and as Pokemon Go amasses more and more users. Also they have tremendous ability to monetize the game with collaborations with other big companies like McDonalds. 

Soundwave said:

Nintendo will go past the 30,000 yen range again (stock price) as Pokemon Go grows, but when/if Animal Crossing is also a hit on iOS/Android, that's when their stock will rocket back to the levels it was at in 2007/08, then there will be large separation between them and Sony.

That's already priced into the stock. No reasonable person actually expects Pokemon Go alone to make 20 billion dollars. Pokemon Go was just the catalyst that opened up investors' eyes to Nintendo's potential in mobile. Animal Crossing won't suddenly add another 40 Billion to their market cap.

Teeqoz said:
Soundwave said:

That's already priced into the stock. No reasonable person actually expects Pokemon Go alone to make 20 billion dollars. Pokemon Go was just the catalyst that opened up investors' eyes to Nintendo's potential in mobile. Animal Crossing won't suddenly add another 40 Billion to their market cap.

I think it will, personally though I've always felt Nintendo will be the world's no.1 smartphone app maker/revenue generator if they wanted to be. 

They are going to absolutely kill that market. 

Pokemon Go is just the beginning and even Pokemon Go can be monetized in many more ways. 

This isn't their peak stock price, they could go back to the Wii/DS peak levels at some point in the next couple of years, perhaps higher. 

Slarvax said:
Nuvendil said:
Well that didn't last long :P

Not that I'm shocked Nintendo's stock fell sharply, it was grossly over inflated. Stock can't maintain that kind of growth on pure anticipation, the reality of the current times was bound to catch up. Will still probably stabilize significantly higher than where the stocks were before GO.

It still has to release in many countries and the most important one (Japan). They could also try to release it in China and Korea, which are the biggest mobile game markets, but right now it's not planned.

So the stocks will take a few more jumps. Safe to say Nintendo shares will be like 1.5x or maybe even 2x more expensive than before PoGo released when everything settles down.

Well my point is that even after it releases everywhere it still won't justify the prices we saw.  Nintendo only gets at most some 30% of the revenue from GO, their actual growth is radically disproportionate to the stock growth.