By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

Pavolink said:
Ariakon said:

According to CNBC.com, Sony's current cap is 38.5 billion and Nintendo's is 32 billion. I expect Sony's to remain fairly steady unless they have either terrible or blockbuster earnings when they report and for Nintendo's to rollercoaster in giant peaks and valleys over the next few weeks, if not months, so threads like these may be kind of silly in the end. We literally could have made one switching the names in the title today and still been correct. It's pretty likely that Nintendo is going to rise over and fall under Sony quite a few times over the next few weeks. 

And why is that your dream? :)

The dream was to be over Sony and rub in the face of its fans. I'll go back to my cave... for now...

Ah, I see. Fair enough, ha :)

Around the Network

All this off one app, once they have a library of apps and games on mobile this may become a common cap for them.

Soundwave said:
Teeqoz said:

That's already priced into the stock. No reasonable person actually expects Pokemon Go alone to make 20 billion dollars. Pokemon Go was just the catalyst that opened up investors' eyes to Nintendo's potential in mobile. Animal Crossing won't suddenly add another 40 Billion to their market cap.

I think it will, personally though I've always felt Nintendo will be the world's no.1 smartphone app maker/revenue generator if they wanted to be. 

They are going to absolutely kill that market. 

Pokemon Go is just the beginning and even Pokemon Go can be monetized in many more ways. 

This isn't their peak stock price, they could go back to the Wii/DS peak levels at some point in the next couple of years, perhaps higher. 

I think you overestimate the staying power that Go! Is going to have. It just requires too much from its player base for casual players to stick around long term.

6 months from now some new big thing will come out and the people that flocked to Pokemon Go! will flock over to that.

Plus, Pokemon is easily the Nintendo IP with the best combination of recognition and adaptability to be a major success. I'd actually be very surprised if their next two mobile games combined are as successful as Pokemon Go.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo will go past the 30,000 yen range again (stock price) as Pokemon Go grows, but when/if Animal Crossing is also a hit on iOS/Android, that's when their stock will rocket back to the levels it was at in 2007/08, then there will be large separation between them and Sony.

Animal Crossing wouldn't be near the same hit as Pokemon, Pokemon is a very well known franchise among gamers and non gamers while ANimal Crossing isn't even known that well by many gamers, but it will do good numbers in Japan.

Nintendo doesn't have any franchise as popular as Pokemon because its popular due to its anime among millions.

GOWTLOZ said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo will go past the 30,000 yen range again (stock price) as Pokemon Go grows, but when/if Animal Crossing is also a hit on iOS/Android, that's when their stock will rocket back to the levels it was at in 2007/08, then there will be large separation between them and Sony.

Animal Crossing wouldn't be near the same hit as Pokemon, Pokemon is a very well known franchise among gamers and non gamers while ANimal Crossing isn't even known that well by many gamers, but it will do good numbers in Japan.

Nintendo doesn't have any franchise as popular as Pokemon because its popular due to its anime among millions.

Animal Crossing Wild World - 12.3 m

Pokemon Omega Rubi/Alpha Saphire - 10.5m

Animal Crossing New Leaf - 10m on March of this year, now is more.

Animal Crossing IS well known by gamers, if done well its success can be more close to Pokemon Go than it seems, and I can see it lasting longer, FE is coming too, both combined could achieve what Pokemon Go did. 

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Animal Crossing IS well known by gamers, if done well its success can be more close to Pokemon Go than it seems, and I can see it lasting longer, FE is coming too, both combined could achieve what Pokemon Go did. 

I don't see how it will. Yes its popular among gamers, my bad. But its not at all popular among non gamers and doesn't have the charm or memories people have of Pokemon in their childhood, both for the anime and games.

FE is even less popular, so combined I don't think they will be as successful as Pokemon Go. I can see Mario coming close to it.

GOWTLOZ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I don't see how it will. Yes its popular among gamers, my bad. But its not at all popular among non gamers and doesn't have the charm or memories people have of Pokemon in their childhood, both for the anime and games.

FE is even less popular, so combined I don't think they will be as successful as Pokemon Go. I can see Mario coming close to it.

Animal crossing only needs exposure, it creates fans very easily because it oozes charm, casuals adore it, mobile will make the franchise bigger than ever.

But anyways, both new games are gonna be a big success independently of the numbers Pokemon Go did, that game is the most succesfull ever on the mobile industry so is not like a game needs to achieve that to be extremelly succesful.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nintendo%20stock

And its over...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Goodnightmoon said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Animal crossing only needs exposure, it creates fans very easily because it oozes charm, casuals adore it, mobile will make the franchise bigger than ever.

But anyways, both new games are gonna be a big success independently of the numbers Pokemon Go did, that game is the most succesfull ever on the mobile industry so is not like a game needs to achieve that to be extremelly succesful.

I don't think Pokemon Go has alreday made as much revenue as Angry Birds and Candy Crush Saga, it will need to continue to be popular to become more successful than them.

Animal Crossing I can see being successful due to its style and genre but Fire Emblem may or may not be successful, but it will probably be profitable.

GOWTLOZ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I don't think Pokemon Go has alreday made as much revenue as Angry Birds and Candy Crush Saga, it will need to continue to be popular to become more successful than them.

Animal Crossing I can see being successful due to its style and genre but Fire Emblem may or may not be successful, but it will probably be profitable.

Animal Crossing could be huge if handled correctly, Fire Emblem could do well too (Final Fantasy does very well on mobile). 

To my eye, Nintendo has several IP that all could be big hits on mobile -- 

Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Nintendogs, Pokemon (could make 7-8 different games easily from this IP alone), Super Mario, Amiibo Game, Legend of Zelda (touch based like the DS games), Tomodachi Collection, and of course Super Mario Brothers. 

Other IP characters like Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, and Yoshi could also be successfully branched into successful mobile apps too. 

Even Nintendo's lower tier IP I could see being a hit ... I think Punch-Out! on iOS/Android could clean up for example (add in Mike Tyson Nintendo, do it!). 

Pokemon Go is just barely scratching the surface of Nintendo's franchise potential on mobile. It's literally the tiny tip of the iceberg.