By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Cap Overtakes Entire Sony Corp. (Pokemon GO!)

Boom Indeed!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Based on Pokemon GO current popularity, it's clearly that is will not be sustained but by the time the popularity is gone, Nintendo made tons of $$$ and will have a small army of loyal monthly consumers of Micro-transactions

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Nintendo pimps out mobile, takes cash and makes amazing games like BoTW...
Nintendo fans win and port beggars will keep wishing that their dream will happen!

Jranation said:
Kerotan said:
Looks like I'm proved right. I've always said mobile is the place for Nintendo. And all they did was release 1 pokemon spin off title and it benefits them more then the 3DS and Wii U combined.

As I've always said. If Nintendo shift their focus to Android and iOS they will drown in cash.

Miitomo says hi! 

Too early to judge. It might just be selling because of "Pokemon". 

Its selling because its pokemon and because of ita concept. If it were pokemon only then shuffle would be a huge success too!

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:
Well, If you hold your expectations too high you are certain to fall. And stock value doubling doesn't near mean Nintendo really is more valuable than Sony as a whole (since Sony gaming part at some points were more valuable than the whole group).

If you think like this then you would have to say Pokemon Go values just as much as Nintendo as a whole (with all the buildings, HW developed, IP owned, etc).

That's one of the biggest flaws in the concept of Market Capitalization.  Back in the Wii and DS days, Nintendo actually overtook Toyota in market cap for a while.    Total number of ourstanding stock x value per stock = a speculative notion of a company's value.

The real take away is that this shows massive investor interest.  The downfall is that the majority of investors are fickle, ignorant and jump on bandwagons faster than political activists on cocaine.

Yep, totally agree... but people with no knowledge will commemorate just because they see it as a good new.

BraLoD said:
This thread (and Scorpio ones) remind me of people saying Sony fans are horrible for posting how better was Sony doing stuff compared to others...

Well, that is because we are always remembered that Sony fans are the worse than all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Baryonyx said:
Based on Pokemon GO current popularity, it's clearly that is will not be sustained but by the time the popularity is gone, Nintendo made tons of $$$ and will have a small army of loyal monthly consumers of Micro-transactions

Obviously the userbase will become smaller, a lot smaller. But I think you understimate when you think small army of loyal monthly consumers. The userbase will continue to be big and they will still spend cash. Once the userbase is shrinking too much, boom in comes a new generation and a lot of players will be back.

Well that didn't last long :P

Not that I'm shocked Nintendo's stock fell sharply, it was grossly over inflated. Stock can't maintain that kind of growth on pure anticipation, the reality of the current times was bound to catch up. Will still probably stabilize significantly higher than where the stocks were before GO.

Nuvendil said:
Well that didn't last long :P

Not that I'm shocked Nintendo's stock fell sharply, it was grossly over inflated. Stock can't maintain that kind of growth on pure anticipation, the reality of the current times was bound to catch up. Will still probably stabilize significantly higher than where the stocks were before GO.

I agree completely.

Mbolibombo said:
Baryonyx said:

Obviously the userbase will become smaller, a lot smaller. But I think you understimate when you think small army of loyal monthly consumers. The userbase will continue to be big and they will still spend cash. Once the userbase is shrinking too much, boom in comes a new generation and a lot of players will be back.

I doubt it. You gotta look at the reasons why people are not interesred in using the app anymore. Is it really that only 1st generation pokemon are available? I think it has more to do with the app being bad, the servers being terrible, and that a lot of people played it due to hype. I doubt most people who have stopped using it did so because they caught all the pokemon already and want some more.

But I guess we'll see. Can't wait to see how it does in Japan, whenever it's released there.

Can anyone just check again today market caps? I think the dream is over

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile