By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scorpio's power is irrelevant, Neo is where it counts. Here's why...

Manlytears said:
Soundwave said:

I think it's the reverse. In 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even buy the OG PS4/XB1, they will be phased out in favor of these new models. 
People are not going to buy the inferior consoles, once they have crossed the threshold of wanting one of the systems and being willing to pay money for it, then you may as well not skimp out. 
What's a $100 savings on something you will probably use for 3-4 years? That comes out to what? $3/month? You can't even get lunch at McDonalds with that. 
Generations are done too. From now on you will be able to "change" your generation when you want because there will be new models every 3 years. 

I recognize that there is a big chance that you are correct...
The thing here is price! that's the most important point. if the thing comes down to a difference of $100, then it is quite possible, and likely, that what you said will happen. However, I really do not believe that the difference will be just $ 100, especially in the case of Xbox Scorpion!

I realy don't belive Scorpion will do it, but... Perhaps Neo can hit a good a price (with a difference of $ 100), but I do not believe it will happen before the arrival of a PS5! I believe the PS5 will come before this new consoles put an end to old Ps4/X1 and the PS5 will generate a new generation, which will have games that can only be played in a PS5.

They will both be $399.99. 

I wouldn't pay $299.99 for the cheaper OG XB1 or PS4 Vanilla models, we've seen this before with the XBox 360 which had the gimped cheaper model or the Wii U (Basic/Premium), people overwhlemingly chose the more expensive option because it offers them better value. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I wouldn't pay $299.99 for the cheaper OG XB1 or PS4 Vanilla models, we've seen this before with the XBox 360 which had the gimped cheaper model or the Wii U (Basic/Premium), people overwhlemingly chose the more expensive option because it offers them better value. 

if in the end Scorpion and Neo get similar graphical capacity (as with Ps4-X1) then yes, both will have the same price. But, to our knowledge, the Scorpion is much stronger than the NEO. So I find it hard to believe that the price of them will be the same ... Alson $399 for a machine whit a 6 Tflops GPU , rumored to carry 12 GB ddr5 and a new CPU, in my view, is a little unreal... perhaps $450

take a look at this, this dude can explain much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3moBYaEYc

I think several developers will start to use Scorpio as their main platform if it is the most powerful, and then port the games to the other consoles. It doesn´t have to mean much apart from bragging rights from fans, since porting most likely will be an easy affair.

Manlytears said:
Soundwave said:

if in the end Scorpion and Neo get similar graphical capacity (as with Ps4-X1) then yes, both will have the same price. But, to our knowledge, the Scorpion is much stronger than the NEO. So I find it hard to believe that the price of them will be the same ... Alson $399 for a machine whit a 6 Tflops GPU , rumored to carry 12 GB ddr5 and a new CPU, in my view, is a little unreal... perhaps $450

The Polaris 10 that the Scorpio is likely using (a modified version of) is not that expensive. It's actually cheaper than the equivalent GPUs the PS4/XB1 used for 2013 (they were based on the 2012 7850-7870 these GPUs were $250-$350, the Polaris 10 is $200). 

Price of RAM comes down, 12GB in 2017 will cost MS likely less than 8GB cost Sony in 2013. 

Too many people seem to be amazed that technology gets better and cheaper as time goes on. PS4/XB1 in tech terms are ancient, they're like a 50-year-old woman. No they're not going to die any time soon, but they're not exactly in their looking dead sexy in a swimsuit during spring break phase either.

If it didn't matter there wouldn't be a need to make a thread about it.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

Do we even have official specs for the NEO?

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

MohammadBadir said:
Pre-Scorpio:
The PS4 has the best graphics, why would I buy an Xbone?
Post-Scorpio:
Graphics don't matter, PS4 is still gonna outsell it.

You're right. After 3yrs with +40M sold, still selling strong, with line ups of exclusive and flooding with games, graphics doesn't matter anymore.  Gamers and developers have already invested and chosen their side.  This would've been a much bigger deal if the Scorpio/Neo were launch consoles as that would be a fresh start.

To me this thread sounds like someone pleading people not to buy the Scorpio.

Manlytears said:
Soundwave said:

It's not unreasonable to expect that Microsoft would eat into some of the cost in order to be more competitive. (Microsoft being the underdog in this race at the moment, they did this allot with the original Xbox.)
They would like to keep the momentum going as they are winning news cycles at the moment.

12Gb ddr5 doesn't exist. I think you mean GDDR5?
Either way, 12Gb wouldn't work to well, Scorpio and Neo aren't using a 384bit memory bus. (I.E. 2Gb per 64bit channel.) Or doubled memory amounts on one channel like nVidia has historically done. (Comes with performance implications.)

Please don't use Tflops as some kind of way to gauge performance. A GPU with less Teraflops can beat one that has more Teraflops, it's about as usefull as Mhz for CPU's.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Most multiplats are also on PC. Devs already do the scaling work there with better looking textures, etc for people with more powerful rigs. If the Scorpio truly is that much more powerful on release than the other consoles, it won't be hard for them to take advantage of.

As for more power not mattering, that would be fucking hilarious to read on this forum, where we used to have long threads about how infinitely superior a 1080p picture of a game was to a 900p.