By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scorpio's power is irrelevant, Neo is where it counts. Here's why...

Sony owns the market right now and with it's larger userbase developers will continually want to make good games for them.  As well, developers picked the PS4 as their preferred console this gen so all the more reason to stay with the PS4 family.  (Unlike where the Wii had a very large userbase but wasn't the developers' choice of console last gen)

If the Neo is underpowered compared to the Scorpio, developers will find the middle ground and create games that will work for both but highly unlikely that they'll spend the extra time and resources to maximize to Scorpio's potential, that's just how multiplat games usually are.   Also note that Japan highly wont care for the Scorpio so Japanese devs would rather make their games based off the Neo instead.

So MS can boast all they want about Scorpio being the most powerful console, but what good is that if there'll be no games to utilize it?  All that extra cost for that extra horsepower may be for nothing.

If the Neo is mcuh weaker, the only way MS can gain momentum from this is if they themselves make a ton of exclusive games (or buy/talk to devs into making exclusive games) that maximize the Scorpio and that it'll be so amazing it'll blow up causing a shift in userbase.

But MS may have save themselves by boasting the power of the Scorpio if that caused Sony to go back to the drawing board to bring out a more powerful Neo equalling the Scorpio.  Because then developers that maximize the Neo will also maximize the Scorpio. (Poor NX?...can't say much about NX yet until we have more details).  But also Sony is in a better financial position now so not sure if they're up for making a more expensive console again.

Basically, in summary, these 'upgraded games' will only go as far as what the Neo can handle and doesn't matter what the Scorpio has under the hood.

This is just my opinion that has been circling my mind since E3.  As usual I doubt my own thoughts so tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something here that makes my point mute.

Cheers! :)

Around the Network

Maybe they chose PS4 because of it was powerful? We dont know.

I dont really care though, to me they are both irrelevant. I will continue to use my PS4 and wont buy the NEO, bigger chance I buy the Scorpio because I dont have an Xbox. Which is also a thing to consider, people might not wanna buy another PS4.

Butthurt immediately springs to mind ;) Still, whichever way you want to run with it...

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

Oh. How the tables have turned.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:

Care to elaborate? :)

Around the Network

You completely stole my thread I just wanted to make^^
Seriously, exactly word for word. To recap:

- both Neo and Scoprio powerful enough for 1080p60 for all games, any advantage beyond that is lost
- X1 has no exclusives powerful enough to draw enough fans, they have no chance for PC players to buy an X1
- Neo will be able to tap into the PC demographic, Scorpio won't
- PS4 also has significant lead and the brand power and exclusives

Conclusion: PS4 will still easily outsell anything Xbox even if Scorpio is twice as powerful.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Neo will hopefully run 1080p/60FPS. Scorpio at best will do 4K/30FPS if it's native, which is extremely unlikely. Most likely be upscaled 4K, trying to convince non-pc gamers is difficult, 6 TF is nothing. I would prefer the Neo if it does what i desire.

vivster said:

You completely stole my thread I just wanted to make^^
Seriously, exactly word for word. To recap:

- both Neo and Scoprio powerful enough for 1080p60 for all games, any advantage beyond that is lost
- X1 has no exclusives powerful enough to draw enough fans, they have no chance for PC players to buy an X1
- Neo will be able to tap into the PC demographic, Scorpio won't
- PS4 also has significant lead and the brand power and exclusives

Conclusion: PS4 will still easily outsell anything Xbox even if Scorpio is twice as powerful.

Great minds think alike ^__^

BasilZero said:
Great.

So we went from not having NX threads because of Zelda.

To having threads about gaming on Playstation to Neo/Scorpio threads. Awesome.

Well played VGChartz, well played.

Here's to hoping this would be the end-all of the Scorpio/Neo threads lol :P (until Scorpio and Neo has been officially been revealed)

ohmylanta1003 said:

Haha i know what you mean, next up: Graphics don't matter. After that: Neo's secret sauce!

Neither will have much of an impact. I expect OG PS4 to remain the best seller console. Neo and Scropio will be super expensive premium machines with no real incentive to buy other than prettier graphics.