By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scorpio's power is irrelevant, Neo is where it counts. Here's why...

You do realise that this exact same argument applies to the Neo versus the original PS4?
Until PS4 looses relevance, only exclusives will make much use of a 4TFLOP GPU. Does this make Neo's specs irrelevant? Of course not, but the difference in visuals may not be that notable for 90% of games til late in the decade.

If theres a difference between PS4 and Neo, they'll be a difference between Neo and Scorpio. I haven't heard anyone say it would be huge.

Around the Network
Jega said:

I see four possible scenarios:

1. Ps4 neo sells well and Sony's success continues.

2. The masses decide to skip ps4 neo in favor of the upcoming more powerful Xbox Scorpio and the Xbox Scorpio go on to outsell the ps4 neo until ps5 comes out.

3. Microsoft gets tired of sony outselling them and purchases Square-Enix (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts) and Electronic Arts (Fifa, Madden, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Star Wars) effectively ending the console wars.

4. The Nintendo NX amazes everyone and goes on to sell 200 millions units in 10 years.

There are laws that prevent Microsoft from purchasing other companies.

Pemalite said:
Manlytears said:

if in the end Scorpion and Neo get similar graphical capacity (as with Ps4-X1) then yes, both will have the same price. But, to our knowledge, the Scorpion is much stronger than the NEO. So I find it hard to believe that the price of them will be the same ... Alson $399 for a machine whit a 6 Tflops GPU , rumored to carry 12 GB ddr5 and a new CPU, in my view, is a little unreal... perhaps $450

take a look at this, this dude can explain much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3moBYaEYc

It's not unreasonable to expect that Microsoft would eat into some of the cost in order to be more competitive. (Microsoft being the underdog in this race at the moment, they did this allot with the original Xbox.)
They would like to keep the momentum going as they are winning news cycles at the moment.

12Gb ddr5 doesn't exist. I think you mean GDDR5?
Either way, 12Gb wouldn't work to well, Scorpio and Neo aren't using a 384bit memory bus. (I.E. 2Gb per 64bit channel.) Or doubled memory amounts on one channel like nVidia has historically done. (Comes with performance implications.)

Please don't use Tflops as some kind of way to gauge performance. A GPU with less Teraflops can beat one that has more Teraflops, it's about as usefull as Mhz for CPU's.

Neither Microsoft, or Sony will eat the cost of Neo or Scorpio, both stated that those consoles are for Hardcore gamers and that they want to make profit of it, They already have the normal version of the consoles (Microsoft also have the Slim) so they will price the Neo and Scorpio much Higher only to make profit.

I doubt that any of those consoles will become Popular.

Jega said:

I see four possible scenarios:

1. Ps4 neo sells well and Sony's success continues.

2. The masses decide to skip ps4 neo in favor of the upcoming more powerful Xbox Scorpio and the Xbox Scorpio go on to outsell the ps4 neo until ps5 comes out.

3. Microsoft gets tired of sony outselling them and purchases Square-Enix (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts) and Electronic Arts (Fifa, Madden, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Star Wars) effectively ending the console wars.

4. The Nintendo NX amazes everyone and goes on to sell 200 millions units in 10 years.

5. The Neo is actually on par or slightly more powerful than the 6TF target Microsoft announced.   This would also effectivly Kill Model S and Scorpio at the same time.   it doesn't have to be a super computer.  Anything for Neo between 5.5 to 6.5 TFs will till both future Xbox consoles instantly.

Also, number 2 would require a miricle and is only remotely possible through the power of imagination :)  Why?  Because the global market just doesn't seem to favor Xbox.  I heard some chatter about a possible comeback in the US though. 

The biggest problem with the XB1 wasn't power, but its library. The PS4 being more powerful was more of a cherry on top. A lot of indies and niche games have just straight out not been released on the XB1. This is especially true for JRPGs (and Japanese games, in general). Other than FF Type-0 and Stranger of the Sword City, both of which are available on other platforms, what other JRPGs are currently out on the console? Meanwhile, the PS4 has already gotten six JRPGs this year alone with Grand Kingdom and Star Ocean V coming up very soon. Increasing the amount of teraflops isn't going to bring more JRPGs to the XB1, especially when a lot of them aren't that graphically intensive.

Around the Network

All i know is the forums will have some funny threads once they launch and PS4 will still be winning mostly because even though Japan doesn't care about consoles anymore there boost will always balance out any advantage America would give the X1 and EU always favours Sony aswell.

Pemalite said:
Manlytears said:

if in the end Scorpion and Neo get similar graphical capacity (as with Ps4-X1) then yes, both will have the same price. But, to our knowledge, the Scorpion is much stronger than the NEO. So I find it hard to believe that the price of them will be the same ... Alson $399 for a machine whit a 6 Tflops GPU , rumored to carry 12 GB ddr5 and a new CPU, in my view, is a little unreal... perhaps $450

take a look at this, this dude can explain much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3moBYaEYc

It's not unreasonable to expect that Microsoft would eat into some of the cost in order to be more competitive. (Microsoft being the underdog in this race at the moment, they did this allot with the original Xbox.)
They would like to keep the momentum going as they are winning news cycles at the moment.

12Gb ddr5 doesn't exist. I think you mean GDDR5?
Either way, 12Gb wouldn't work to well, Scorpio and Neo aren't using a 384bit memory bus. (I.E. 2Gb per 64bit channel.) Or doubled memory amounts on one channel like nVidia has historically done. (Comes with performance implications.)

Please don't use Tflops as some kind of way to gauge performance. A GPU with less Teraflops can beat one that has more Teraflops, it's about as usefull as Mhz for CPU's.

yes, GDDR5, just a typo, i forgot the "G".
Abbout the 12 GB GDDR 5 on scorpion, well, i'm just going for the rumor and analysis from Digital foundry. (you can see in the link i posted)
I tottaly agree, the floating-point performace isn't enough to judge a gpu. Clock speed, Memory bus, TMU, memory bandwith, etc. I just talked like that to simplify, I admit that this is wrong, but simplifies = P. ( again, look at the link in digital foundry, they explain things very well no metter if you are beginner or expert. )

Sony and Microsoft will be developing two versions of their first party. Superior resolution versions of games with 60fps for their high end/PC (for Microsoft). They will demand the same out of third party, which is rather an annoyance. A huge waste of resources unless you're a huge AAA company if you ask me.

I read through these posts, and except for 1 or 2 comments, I think everyone is missing the point. The hardware doesn't matter anymore.

Currently, the "Xbox Play Anywhere" game option is limited to first party games. But if Microsoft is able to convince third parties that this option is to their benefit and they begin offering it, the game is over. Hardware install bases are done and irrelevant because there is nothing Sony can do to combat the total number of Xbox One and S models sold, even prior to Scorpio. Why? Because all of the sudden, the PC has because a larger part of the Xbox install base.

If you can't beat them at their game, find a new way to play the game. That's what Microsoft is doing and if done properly, there's little Sony can do to combat it. Their best hope is to pump out high quality first party exclusives to keep their console relevant.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

dreamcast210 said:
I read through these posts, and except for 1 or 2 comments, I think everyone is missing the point. The hardware doesn't matter anymore.

Currently, the "Xbox Play Anywhere" game option is limited to first party games. But if Microsoft is able to convince third parties that this option is to their benefit and they begin offering it, the game is over. Hardware install bases are done and irrelevant because there is nothing Sony can do to combat the total number of Xbox One and S models sold, even prior to Scorpio. Why? Because all of the sudden, the PC has because a larger part of the Xbox install base.

If you can't beat them at their game, find a new way to play the game. That's what Microsoft is doing and if done properly, there's little Sony can do to combat it. Their best hope is to pump out high quality first party exclusives to keep their console relevant.

The other companies are not willing to give a PC version (if the game have a PC version) for free for the Xbox Users, And Microsoft is not willing to lose their cut or pay for the companies to do so, because they would lose money and even so this would not sell Xbox One, And a lot of companies have PC stores just like Ubisoft, EA, Square Enix, (I think that Rockstar also have). People would not change for better or for worse their idea to purchase or not the Xbox One only because they would get 2 copies of the same game.