By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Telltale games says the Windows Store offers wider reach than Steam, will port full catalogue there.

Telltale games notes that while Steam was their starting place, it lacked the sheer breadth of reach, particularly to casual and first-time gamers, that the Windows Store and UWP could offer. In short, the port to UWP was a tactical move to allow Telltale to find additional ways to get their games in front of a larger audience of players.

Steam has around 125 million active users, but Windows 10 already has more than 300 million active users, with this number set to rapidly increase over the next 2 years to hit Microsoft’s 1 billion target.

Telltale games note that porting to UWP also came with free ARM support, and that they already have a build of their story engine that could be used for Lumia phones running Windows 10 as well as future Windows 10 devices.

http://mspoweruser.com/telltale-games-says-the-windows-store-offers-wider-reach-for-casual-and-first-time-gamers-than-steam-will-port-full-catalogue-there/

Around the Network

We want a new engine not more ports!

But all of Steam's active users are on Steam specifically to play game. How many can be said for Windows?

Ok...... that's great.... I guess.....

This isn't really noteworthy in the slightest....

So... their saying Windows store > Steam for selling games?

I dont believe that.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
But all of Steam's active users are on Steam specifically to play game. How many can be said for Windows?

My thoughts exactly on this, would be like suggesting that everyone who buys a car uses it to drive powerlaps at the nurburgring... again we're going back to the lands of everyone with a smart phone is now a gamer and purchaser of such because they installed Snake... or whatever the smartphone version of snake is today... it's probably still snake.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

JRPGfan said:
So... their saying Windows store > Steam ?

I dont believe that.

They're saying that more people have access to the Windows Store than steam so it has a wider reach, though how many people who have the Windows Store on their pc actually ever boot the thing is another matter entirely, and how many of those are interested in gaming AND don't use steam further lowers the number.

It would take an absolute miracle for Windows Store to ever compete with Steam, the only games that are going to be selling on their are exclusives (Quantum Break etc).

Either Telltale didn't think that statement through, or they're being deliberately misleading.

That's like saying a department store is a better place to sell furniture than a furniture store because more people go into the department store. They're ignoring the fact that most of those people are there to buy cheap jeans and bananas.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Boutros said:
We want a new engine not more ports!

Indeed! More gameplay would be nice too.

Bandorr said:
Steam can be installed on windows 10. So they are in essence saying that windows 10.. has more reach than windows 10.

Along with ignoring the fact that steam can also be installed on 7/8/8.1/Mac AND linux.

That seems fairly.. well extremely poorly thought out.

Expect to see the TellTale Stall at E3 to be filled with Surface pros and X1's :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive