By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Some anger over AVGN (James Rolfe) refusing to review the new Ghostbusters

it's kind of degrading to women when every critic of a movie with women in it, is perceived as being criticism of women. I sympathize completely with James' motives for not even seeing this movie, since it seems to mostly be a cheap cash-in of a legendary brand, and not a fan service that the fans deserve. So I'm happy with that decision :).

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
it's kind of degrading to women when every critic of a movie with women in it, is perceived as being criticism of women. I sympathize completely with James' motives for not even seeing this movie, since it seems to mostly be a cheap cash-in of a legendary brand, and not a fan service that the fans deserve. So I'm happy with that decision :).

Yeah I wasn't going to be excited about this reboot no matter the cast. If they had given Seth Rogan and James Franco the reigns (most of their movies are pretty dumb but it's entertaining to watch) I still wouldn't be excited that they were calling it Ghostbusters. 

Maybe it's stubborness on my part, I will probably watch it at some point though. But it's certainly not the women. I enjoy most things I've seen all of the cast in (especially McCarthy and Wiig).

Veknoid_Outcast said:
KLXVER said:

You are kidding right? My sarcasm detection is off right now...

No, I honestly don't know him. 

But if he's just a YouTuber/internet guy (per Acevil), why does it matter what movies he does and doesn't review? I assume it's his channel, right? He makes the content.

It's not like an editor assigned him the movie and he refused, right?

Well maybe you didnt know his name, but if you say you dont know who the Angry Video Game Nerd is, then I dont believe you.

Puppyroach said:

I really hate this notion that people are hating it because of "women". Sorry but the reason is plain and simple. What sells the movie, the trailer, what did the trailer do. Not be FUNNY.

Given I am the firm belief that Hollywood stop rebooting everything. Continue franchises sure (See Mad Max), but rebooting them is unnecessary. 

Acevil said:
Puppyroach said:

I really hate this notion that people are hating it because of "women". Sorry but the reason is plain and simple. What sells the movie, the trailer, what did the trailer do. Not be FUNNY.

Given I am the firm belief that Hollywood stop rebooting everything. Continue franchises sure (See Mad Max), but rebooting them is unnecessary. 

I agree as well... 

Around the Network

God, this movie will just be terrible. It was greenlit by Amy Pascal who thankfully has left Sony Pictures.

ninjapirate42 said:
Puppyroach said:

Yeah I wasn't going to be excited about this reboot no matter the cast. If they had given Seth Rogan and James Franco the reigns (most of their movies are pretty dumb but it's entertaining to watch) I still wouldn't be excited that they were calling it Ghostbusters. 

Maybe it's stubborness on my part, I will probably watch it at some point though. But it's certainly not the women. I enjoy most things I've seen all of the cast in (especially McCarthy and Wiig).

Agreed. I get the same feeling with this movie as I did with Indiana Jones 4: A desperate attempt to "reboot" a succesful franchise that is made with no heart in it.

Honestly, I think James' logic is just pure genius.

If he knows that the movie has no chance of being good, why bother going out to watch it and spend money in the first place?

If he doesn't wanna review it, that's his choice.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

If he knows that the movie has no chance of being good, why bother going out to watch it and spend money in the first place?

Yeah it's a shame he can't just express his views like he did without backlash. Pretty sure he attempted to offend the least amount of people and somehow offended a ton still.

ninjapirate42 said:
Ultrashroomz said:

Yeah it's a shame he can't just express his views like he did without backlash. Pretty sure he attempted to offend the least amount of people and somehow offended a ton still.

Welcome to the internet in 2016.  Where everything is offensive and everyone feels entitled to that offense being removed instead of simply moving away from it themselves.