By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things in Zelda that need to change

Hynad said:
StarOcean said:
Make Link lefty again, damnit

He's a lefty in Twilight Princess HD.

Thats a re-release. Im talking about console Zeldas 7th gen onwards. SS and Zelda U both have a right handed Link

Around the Network

For number 2, I don't think you should start off where you left off, but there should be something like Farore's Wind, and the Owl Statues in Majora's Mask, where you can warp to some parts of the dungeon, which would help if you die and start at the beginning of the dungeon, and it would help with backtracking.

Edit: I'm going to add my thoughts on the other ones

1 - I don't think you should give the basic/essential items from the get-go. I like how Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword started out where Link doesn't have a tunic and doesn't have a sword, shield, or items. It gives background and build-up to the story. But it shouldn't be too long (I think the introduction should be somewhere in between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess).

3 - I think the amount of hearts you start with after you get a game over should depend on how many heart containers you have. So, if you have 3-8 containers, you start off with 3 hearts, if you have 9-15 containers, you start off with 8, and if you 16-20 containers, you start off with 10. Or something like that. If it's that way, the amount of hearts you have to build up after dying isn't too much.

4 - I agree that there should be more content, but it's hard to make a balance. Besides having wildlife, having a bunch of NPC's, mini-bosses, mini-dungeons in the overworld would really start to get annoying, especially if at some point you're in the mood to ride your Horse through the fields peacefully. So things like NPC's/Sidequests, mini-bosses, and mini-dungeons should be spaced out well (Not too far away from eachother, but not too close to eachother), espeically in Zelda Wii U since the overworld is so big, meaning there would be no excuse for things being too close together or too far apart (and, for wildlife, Zelda Wii U doesn't seem to have a problem with the lack of wildlife based on the footage).

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Player2 said:
spemanig said:

It takes no where near 30 seconds to get to the nearest healing spot, and there's no purpose in discussing ways to cheat the system. It's not faster or safer at all. You have little health and have to slowly build that back up. The current system is inflexible. You either start with full health or you don't. You're either extremely inconvenienced or you aren't. With Souls games all you lose is currency, something that is not as immediately inconvenient to lose as health, especially when you are only losing a fraction of your currency, and it is easily recoverable because you're tackling the situation at full health.

It needs to copy something else because that other game does it better.

You are crazy on all accounts.

Did Rol get banned? Am I missing something?

spemanig said:
DivinePaladin said:

I mean the more recent Zeldas have relatively quick dungeons and TP already restarts you in the room you died in if you do somehow die, so I think checkpoints wouldn't really solve 2 without making the dungeons needlessly easy. Unless they make some marathon dungeons that use more than just the Dungeon item, which I'd be okay with, checkpoints are unnecessary. 

Honestly, while a lot of people like to trash the games, I'd love if Zelda NX and its Wii U port took a Darksiders approach, with light RPG elements and a TON of short, optional dungeons. Rather than hide heart pieces IN dungeons like TP does (replaying it I only now realized how bad that aspect was), make separate dungeons for some heart containers or exclusive items or powerups for those that go out of their way. Plus it makes the open world actually open with a light level system - like the Skyrim Aonuma so desperately wants to be compared to - that can deter you but not FORCE you into a set path until late game. 

"Needlessly easy." Dark Souls has check points. Nothing about checkpoints makes a game easy.

Dark Souls isn't designed for kids. Zelda is. We're not going to see a Zelda with staggered attack speed and instant death every sixty steps in some places. It's not a valid comparison if you're going to ignore how easy the series is currently. It might get marginally more difficult in Zelda U but no 3D Zelda has ever been hard enough to necessitate checkpoints within dungeons, not even close. Considering this is a TP sequel we're probably getting in-room checkpoints for every room anyway. 

Your point here seems much more befitting of Darksiders since that game was designed to be somewhat difficult occasionally. Like I said before though, the only case where checkpoints make any sense in the current scope of the series is in the case that they make marathon dungeons. Feasibility is a big part of wanting change and a change such as adding checkpoints to an already piss-easy franchise without adding difficulty isn't feasible. And they won't be adding any difficulty besides Hero Mode in all likelihood, as you and I both already know. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
spemanig said:

"Needlessly easy." Dark Souls has check points. Nothing about checkpoints makes a game easy.

Dark Souls isn't designed for kids. Zelda is. We're not going to see a Zelda with staggered attack speed and instant death every sixty steps in some places. It's not a valid comparison if you're going to ignore how easy the series is currently. It might get marginally more difficult in Zelda U but no 3D Zelda has ever been hard enough to necessitate checkpoints within dungeons, not even close. Considering this is a TP sequel we're probably getting in-room checkpoints for every room anyway. 

Your point here seems much more befitting of Darksiders since that game was designed to be somewhat difficult occasionally. Like I said before though, the only case where checkpoints make any sense in the current scope of the series is in the case that they make marathon dungeons. Feasibility is a big part of wanting change and a change such as adding checkpoints to an already piss-easy franchise without adding difficulty isn't feasible. And they won't be adding any difficulty besides Hero Mode in all likelihood, as you and I both already know. 

Zelda 1 was made for kids. Kids can handle it.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
cycycychris said:
and Most importantly, adding in voice acting.

All good ideas though. But god damn voice acting already Nintendo.

A lot of hardcore Nintendo will disagree with on that. And I agree its totally dumb not to have voice acting in this day and age.

But would it be any good?  That's the real question.  Japan has a very lackluster reputation when it comes to voice acting; especially the translations from Japanese to English.  I'm sure the intended script is done more accurately in the original Japanese dialogue, but there's still that sense of overacting from the original script anyways.  That's something Japan needs to get past already.  I remember an article years ago from Toriyama stating (right after FF13 came out) that Japan prefers theatre based acting as opposed to Hollywood style.  They're both pretty theatrical in my overall opinion, but Japan's is defintely more excessive.

I'm almost 100% positive this would work against Zelda, not for it.  Text only dialogue for FF seemed to work only for it and never against it.  FFX had some good spots here and there, but that's as good of voice acting that Squaresoft, not Square Enix however has ever acheived. 

Lube Me Up

spemanig said:
DivinePaladin said:

Going back 30 years to a different era of gaming - to a game prepackaged with a guide - isn't a strong defense. You can do better, if you really believe in your point here. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
spemanig said:

Going back 30 years to a different era of gaming - to a game prepackaged with a guide - isn't a strong defense. You can do better, if you really believe in your point here. 

Today we have the internet. Which makes everything wayyyyyyyyyyy easier. And kids can still handle Zelda 1. My nephew was handling Zelda 2 quite well when he was 8. I would even say that today is the perfect time to play those incredibly hard games, with all the resources we have and miiverse.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Although I don't mind 2, I agree with all of them. We've had the same concept and formula for a good few decades now and it's getting somewhat stale. I still get some charm from going to some dungeon and more or less knowing it;s definitely going to have an item that I'm definitely going to need to advance to the next part of the game, but at the same time it kills most of the mystery because I already know before I've booted up the game that I will need to find an item that I'm going to need in order to advance through any part of the story.

The whole starting back with 3 hearts part is irksome since it means you'll have to waste time gathering enough hearts and then travel back to where you last died at, but you're also at risk of dying again when trying to get those hearts back, the whole task just seems annoying at times and monotonous.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I don't want typical RPG sidequests like "search for item A, B, C and come back" or "go to place X, defeat the monster there and you'll get a reward from me or "bring this letter to person A who gives you an item which you bring to person B who in turn gives you another item and you have to bring everything to person C who has another item and together with the items you brought, he forges a powerful weapon whit whom you can defeat a certain strong enemy." That's not how I want the overworld filled.

I don't want classical sidequests at all, it should just be one big adventure and the "sidequests" should be part of the main story and they should not be optional.