By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things in Zelda that need to change

What they need to change is the pace of the opening of the games.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword take hours to get going.

A Link to the Past was perfect in this regard. Within minutes you have a sword in hand and are in the first dungeon.

Around the Network

Playing TPHD right now and everything just feels so dated...especially fresh off of playing dark souls 2. It's starting to get to the point where simplest things annoy me...pressing B to unsheathe your sword then having to press it again to swing...even the text that doesn't go by fast enough when you've gotten something a hundred times (rupees in chests, dungeon maps etc).

They really need to do so many new/different things with Zelda to keep MY interest....cuz it seems the rest of world is mostly happy with it

retroking1981 said:
What they need to change is the pace of the opening of the games.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword take hours to get going.

A Link to the Past was perfect in this regard. Within minutes you have a sword in hand and are in the first dungeon.

Tbh each Zelda game is it's own thing which is why the different pacing, TP and SS are 2 of the more story driven games.

Number 2 and 3 aren't an issue... Git gud curl.

Number 1 and 4 are an issue though! Specially the fourth one, no more empty overworlds damn it, fill it with shit like in the NES game!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I think I can agree with 1. I can see how getting staple items over and over can be tiresome. It would be nice to get them from the start, or from somewhere else entirely. The system added in ALBW seemed to work out fine.

The rest I feel indifferent too. I don't think they were problems and at worst were minor inconveniences. And the overworlds felt fun to traverse to, minus SS, since that overworld feels so empty with things to do. Too much of just floating rocks. It could have been great like WW, but they dropped the ball on that. There were only a few things I could find, but they were mostly boring.

I don't get why people want to get rid of the puzzles though. That's part of the joy that comes from Zelda. Being given a puzzle, trying to solve it, and when you do, you just get a feel of satisfaction. Without it, what would you do in dungeons; beat enemies until you get a key, or just place the key in the room to pick up? I think some of the dungeons in TP had this problem, which may be why I don't really like it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Everyone who always wants voice acting always seems to reference Fallout or Skyrim as the leading examples. Characters in Zelda and Bethesda games couldn't be more different. Most Zelda characters are very quirky and charming in a way. You'd honestly get something more like Kid Icarus: Uprising, or a Disney movie, or a dubbed Anime if you added voice acting to Zelda.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

1. This isn't a problem if the same items are given some new character and use a la Hyrule Warriors
2. Not an issue for me
3. Not an issue for me
4. I think Majora's mask did this best. I'm not worried how they'll handle this in the future.

If anything, I do think we'll get an overhaul of the combat system to be much more skill-based - while also giving you more opportunities for massive hack and slash battles. Think as if Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors were fused as one Zelda game. There's more than one reason Nintendo published those games if you ask me.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Player2 said:

Going to the nearest healing spot or reloading your save file takes like 30 seconds. It's faster and way safer than going to where you died to recover your souls, which you have to do without dying again (if you die again you lose them forever) and killing the monster that killed you, who is now even stronger (in Bloodborne). In Bloodborne you may want to kill some easy enemies to earn some currency to buy healing consumables before going to where you died to be safer too. You also have to recover your souls before turning off the console or they're gone forever as well.

The current sytem isn't inflexible as well so I don't see why Zelda has to copy something else that still would need tuning from another game.

It takes no where near 30 seconds to get to the nearest healing spot, and there's no purpose in discussing ways to cheat the system. It's not faster or safer at all. You have little health and have to slowly build that back up. The current system is inflexible. You either start with full health or you don't. You're either extremely inconvenienced or you aren't. With Souls games all you lose is currency, something that is not as immediately inconvenient to lose as health, especially when you are only losing a fraction of your currency, and it is easily recoverable because you're tackling the situation at full health.

It needs to copy something else because that other game does it better.

fleischr said:
If anything, I do think we'll get an overhaul of the combat system to be much more skill-based - while also giving you more opportunities for massive hack and slash battles. Think as if Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors were fused as one Zelda game. There's more than one reason Nintendo published those games if you ask me.

You are in for some massive disappointment if you seriously think that Zelda is going to change genres like that.

1. Agree
2. Disagree
3. Disagree
4. Agree

On the note of voice acting, I am fine with this as long as they can keep the same amount of depth the the story AND Link remains silent.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261