By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Things in Zelda that need to change

JetSetter said:

Agree with the first and definitely the fourth one.

Not with the middle two. Sorry but there as to be some penalty to dying. Call it a "relic" or whatever but I don't mind starting over with three hearts or having to make my way back to where I screwed up.

EDIT-  Lot of people saying they want voice acting...really? I mean I rather Nintendo focus on important stuff like gameplay and not have to stress out about how Link is or anyone is going to talk. 

What is there to stress about? Nintendo are known for high quality, i have no doubt they would pick great people for voice acting. I'd say, leave link speechless if it bother people enough, but at least add voices to the rest of the cast (unless that is already the case, not totally sure, I don't play zelda games)

Zelda's gameplay is pretty solid, i think it's good that they'd want to spend more time on other parts of the game. Voice acting can be a pretty important part of the game, it helps characters feel a bit more real, gives them character and a bit more emotion. I think it is an idea they should definitely explore.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I know that the BOMB, BOOMERANG & BOW and Arrow are all classic items, but how about we introduce new items. How about a lassos for attaching to trees and climbable rocks so that you can use it to get to higher ground. Or a Jump Boots for jumping over huge caverns and and across previously unreachable parts of the over world. Even something as simple as using your Legendary Shield to attack enemies. Throw it at a bosses feet to knock him on his back so that you can attack with your sword, or throw it at a group of enemies and have it ricochet off of then doing increased damage the me=ore enemies that it hits, leading to insane combos.

I could go all day with this stuff. Point is, Zelda has gotten stale. A LONNNNG TIME AGO.

New Era. New Ideas.

Pavolink said:
You are wrong with 2 and 3. 2 is solved when you discover/unlock shortcuts. I can remember some, and in SS is basically solved.

In reference to 3, Zelda games are already easy and you want to make it easier? Worst suggestion ever.

Easy as in... how? Combat? Because I can assure you that someone who's never played a Zelda before, they aren't going to be able to figure out how to solve some of those puzzles. ALTTP for instance... who the hell is going to randomly figure out how to get the flute to call that bird? In the first Zelda, who is going to be able to find those heart pieces? 

I haven't played TP and SS, so maybe they've dumbed them down or something but advancing through those older games took hours of fucking walking around doing nothing and talking/pushing the A button on every damn thing.

spemanig said:
Player2 said:

The post I replied to was similar to (probably even more ridiculous than) the one where you said that dual analog was better than Wiimote + Nunchuck for Prime, so I replied the same way as Rol did because reasoning wasn't going to work.

Neither was rediculus.

Nope, just garden-variety ridiculous.

I agree with number four in particular, but my personal vote goes to the series' difficulty. I don't demand just welcome a return to, say Zelda II levels of challenge, but it's been closer to two decades since dying was a feasible possibility.

2Quick said:
curl-6 said:

4. Empty Overworlds

Yes, there's initally a sense of majestic adventure to galloping across Hyrule Field in Twilight Princess or Ocarina, or soaring through the clouds in Skyward Sword, but this starts to wear off as the game goes on and it becomes clear that there's just not enough density of content in these areas. Yes, there are points of interest; enemies, collectables, etc, but they are widely spread across what is mostly empty space. I'd love to see a world that is teeming with wildlife, NPCs, roaming mini-bosses, and mini-dungeons.

I always thought skyward sword was almost too dense with its content, perhaps not in the sky area but definitely on the ground.

One of my favourite things in Skyward Sword was how the land areas were dense and compact instead of vast and empty. If they managed to make the whole overworld in future Zelda games feel like Lanaryu Desert, Eldin Volcano, or Faron Woods in Skyward Sword, (just with more mini-dungeons, NPCs, and roaming mini-bosses) I'd be a happy man.

Around the Network
Areym said:

What is there to stress about? Nintendo are known for high quality, i have no doubt they would pick great people for voice acting. 

noname2200 said:

my personal vote goes to the series' difficulty. I don't demand just welcome a return to, say Zelda II levels of challenge, but it's been closer to two decades since dying was a feasible possibility.

I'm actually perfectly happy with the difficulty level in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword myself. Zelda II levels of challenge are just frustrating and unfun in my opinion, so that's not something I would want. I'd be okay with there being a higher difficulty mode for those who want it, so long as I can still play through it stress-free.

DivinePaladin said:
FunFan said:

Today we have the internet. Which makes everything wayyyyyyyyyyy easier. And kids can still handle Zelda 1. My nephew was handling Zelda 2 quite well when he was 8. I would even say that today is the perfect time to play those incredibly hard games, with all the resources we have and miiverse.

Zelda 1 and 2 have been redeemed entirely by the Internet in the past decade, but that's still an antiquated set of games that was designed for the same kids that grew up on Megaman and Ghosts and Goblins. They're not comparable in difficulty or design to the games designed for and played by kids today, even if you or I have extremely anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise. 

Nah.

Just because some aspects might seem outdated doesnt mean all aspects are. Neither it means that those "outdated" aspects couldn't be brought back in an updated fashion. That's why the Dark Souls games are being mentioned so much, that series is champ in taking old ideas and modernising them. Is obvious no one is asking to bring back Zelda 1 elements unfiltered. They have to make it work within a more modern design. In the case of the dificulty of Zelda games, it can be just as hard as the classic entries as long as the challenge itself manages to feel "fair" by today standars.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
DivinePaladin said:

Zelda 1 and 2 have been redeemed entirely by the Internet in the past decade, but that's still an antiquated set of games that was designed for the same kids that grew up on Megaman and Ghosts and Goblins. They're not comparable in difficulty or design to the games designed for and played by kids today, even if you or I have extremely anecdotal evidence suggesting otherwise. 

Nah.

Just because some aspects might seem outdated doesnt mean all aspects are. Neither it means that those "outdated" aspects couldn't be brought back in an updated fashion. That's why the Dark Souls games are being mentioned so much, that series is champ in taking old ideas and modernising them. Is obvious no one is asking to bring back Zelda 1 elements unfiltered. They have to make it work within a more modern design. In the case of the dificulty of Zelda games, it can be just as hard as the classic entries as long as the challenge itself manages to feel "fair" by today standars.

I'm referring entirely to checkpoints still because that's such a stupid concept to demand change in when the games aren't difficult. Not sure where your response is aimed other than a tangent about Zelda 1 vs Dark Souls and explaining what I already know about modernizing games. I've made video games before lol. Nothing great because I'm a shitty artist and I have no artist friends, but I've designed a game before and then modernized it in a demake port. 

Anyway, like I was saying about checkpoints, there's still no reason to change them when by all regards the games are too easy. Hell they can't even make a 2D game hard when they're half-cloning LttP! The request to update checkpoints specifically doesn't make sense unless they're going to significantly alter the design of the games. Which I'm open to, as I've noted before in this thread. It's just that that won't happen in all likelihood, no matter if it needs to change or not. Zelda has become far too commercialized and Aonuma far too stubborn for such large scale shifts to happen quickly. That goes back into my thing about feasibility.

If they made marathon dungeons, fine, perfect, add more checkpoints. If they simply make dungeons harder there's no need to add more checkpoints because even the hardest dungeons in the hardest games are pretty fair about shortcuts or speeding through cleared rooms, Zelda II notwithstanding. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I love all the debating going on in here. It's almost like different people want different things from games and thus no one game can please everybody.

Aeolus451 said:
Wyrdness said:

Who said it couldn't? Fact is that type of VA is not to everyone's liking as Fire Emblem has shown.

"You're not going to get TLOU or Uncharted style VA"

Yeah and? Do you not know about differing approaches to VA?