By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Fox Zero adds invincible mode for beginners, internet reacts

Does this actually bother anyone here?

No 217 67.18%

Sort of 30 9.29%

YEs 46 14.24%

Other explain below 2 0.62%

see results 28 8.67%

Total:323
Wright said:
Volterra_90 said:

I think even Souls games must have an easy option. I mean, I get that it's suposed to be a game aimed for hardcore player, but would it really hurt giving an easy option for people who's incapable of beating it?

Because the philosophy behind the Souls games is making the player persevere admist adversity. Remove the adversity, and the Souls lose their soul.

The question is that adversity is subjective. What's easy/normal for you could be impossible for anybody else. I know that some friends of mine are incapable of beating Dark Souls, or it's really frustrating for them. The same goes for soooo many people. An easy mode could be as challenging for those people than a normal mode could be for us. 

Around the Network

Lol if Miyamoto was in charge of Dark Souls it would be another kiddie Zelda game.

User was warned for this post.

~Ultrashroomz

RexSad said:
Lol if Miyamoto was in charge of Dark Souls it would be another kiddie Zelda game.

Oh, great, another "kiddie" word using to describe Nintendo games. You're so fucking mature, man.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
vivster said:

Did you throw the same fit in the 90s for every game that had cheats?

Good point. I would argue that even though they are included in the game, they aren't really encouraged (easily avaliable) as this is. Furthermore, as I've said before my argument/opinion is on the matter of principle and the very nature of cheats (being cheating ofc) where as this is presented as a difficulty mode  ergo a valid option/play choice. They could at least have a penalty or something even a superficial penalty, and if that is the case then I'll consider changing my opinion.

Functionally, its barely different from an invicibility cheat code, but semantically it makes a difference. And yes I am arguing semantics here, but like I said before its basically solved on whether or not the option itself is fine. That's not an interesting discussion and I don't see the merit in everyone and their grandmother coming in here and saying "It's an option so its ok." or "Don't like it, don't use it" stuck on repeat. Such a lazy argument.

When I was a kid, I liked videogames, but I didn't like dying.  So I had a game genie.  It allowed me to play the cool games I wanted like the ones with ninjas and turtles and batmen and megamen, instead of having to pick up a shitty kids game.  And I had a lot of fun.  Cause I got to be a fucking ninja and cut things. 

This did not prevent me from becoming a skilled gamer.  In fact, I don't know if I'd be as into games if I didn't have the game genie to act as training wheels.

Such an unnecessary mode. Just have a button that skips the game and shows you the ending then...

Around the Network
Wright said:
Azuren said:

They're 6 and 7. Dark Souls isn't a game for them. 

One is never too young to start praising the sun.

You can have that conversation with my sister-in-law. 

Volterra_90 said:
RexSad said:

Oh, great, another "kiddie" word using to describe Nintendo games. You're so fucking mature, man.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Wright said:
Player2 said:

That won't work, you have to give the player the false impression that they're accomplishing something even if they play like garbage, that's why games are plagued with things like auto-aim, jump assist, regen health or have checkpoints every five minutes.

On the other hand playing in "beginner" mode requires oneself to accept that you aren't any good, hence the backlash.

Wouldn't it be better if instead of invincibility, the easiest mode granted you all that? Or something like Resident Evil 4, where certain gameplay sections were blocked until you played on a higher difficulty?

Invincibility was a cheat (or an unlockable extra) back in the day. It was also one of the reasons why the Prince of Persia reboot was so terrible.

With assists you're never sure that whatever you "accomplished" was because of you. Invincibility guarantees that everybody can finish the game, it's pretty obvious that in harder difficulties getting hit shouldn't happen, and everything else is unadulterated so whatever you learn will be useful in harder difficulties.

Regarding RE 4, I know some people who couldn't beat it on normal...

archer9234 said:
Screamapillar said:
It's there for people that want it. Same as if you don't like what's on TV or what you're listening to on the radio. Change the channel, turn the station, don't use the mode you don't want to use.

No. The eqivalent would be if the show just told you the plot, and resolution, in one minute. And the episode is over. The conflict has to be removed. To be the same as invincible. This isn't a easy mode, or a trial mode. This is conflict remove mode.

And what's wrong with that if you're not forced to use it? To use the TV analogy, this is like giving you the option to see an episode recap to catch up with the series. You can still just watch it normally. Nothing is being taken away from you. It is optional.

Also, as has been said already, I don't know why people are acting like this is a new thing. Back when I was a kid in 90s, it was Game Genie, cheat codes, using God Mode in Doom, or Big Daddys in Age of Empires, etc. Nothing has changed really, this sort of thing has been around forever.

Volterra_90 said:

The question is that adversity is subjective. What's easy/normal for you could be impossible for anybody else. I know that some friends of mine are incapable of beating Dark Souls, or it's really frustrating for them. The same goes for soooo many people. An easy mode could be as challenging for those people than a normal mode could be for us. 

I do think Dark Souls specifically has the perfect learning progression. The first time I played it seemed like impossible challenges to overcome. Nowadays I wouldn't even call the game hard anymore, as I've learned that patience and a bit of skill can trump practically anything in there. I'm pretty sure your friends, with a little bit of time and energy, would be also able to accomplish it.

I saw a video about Dark Souls with invincibility on and it seems like the most boring thing in the world, to be honest. Probably why I'm not so fond of adding that thing to any videogame. Just make "easy" easy, and there shouldn't be any problem.

Wright said:

I do think Dark Souls specifically has the perfect learning progression. The first time I played it seemed like impossible challenges to overcome. Nowadays I wouldn't even call the game hard anymore, as I've learned that patience and a bit of skill can trump practically anything in there. I'm pretty sure your friends, with a little bit of time and energy, would be also able to accomplish it.

I saw a video about Dark Souls with invincibility on and it seems like the most boring thing in the world, to be honest. Probably why I'm not so fond of adding that thing to any videogame. Just make "easy" easy, and there shouldn't be any problem.

Yeah, you have a point. But the problem is not the fact that they can't beat it, it's the fact that people might be frustrated with the game. I agree with you, I love the game and I think it has an outstanding learning progression. But I think it wouldn't hurt having an easy mode for those people who prefer to just beat it without any problems. Even if they wouldn't grasp everything the game has to offer. 

In Dark Souls case I'm talking about an easy mode, invincibility is nonsense since the main mechanics are pretty simple and it'd be pointless. But in Star Fox: Zero it could be useful for "noobs" to learn how to use the motion controls, boost, barrel rolls and all of that. Especially how to learn motion controls, since a lot of people don't use them normally for aiming.