By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Metriod Til Atleast 2019 Seriously Nintendo?

If Nintendo is really stumped about where to take the Metroid franchise next then I don't know why Nintendo doesn't just give the creators of Shovel Knight a couple million and just let them make an awesome retro 2D Metroid experience for the hardcore fans on the Wii U and NX. I mean, it would be better than letting the franchise sit and grow stale and it would also be a show of respect towards Nintendo's hardcore fans who bought a Wii U and supported Nintendo during the tough times.

Around the Network

He didn't say Retro isn't currently working on a Metroid Prime game. He just said it would take about 3 years to make one. Even if he had said that (and I'll agree it was implied), he was talking specifically about Retro and Metroid Prime. Any other studio inside or outside of Nintendo could already have been working on a new non-Prime Metroid game, and Reggie implied as much last year.

Waiting 10 years isn't too bad. Still better than the poor souls who are still waiting for Half-Life 3.... and who will still be waiting for it after another 10 years...

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Some people here seem to forget the long absence of the Metroid series between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. It was 8 years. Nintendo's excuse was that they weren't sure what to do with the series on the N64. Even Metroid Prime on the GameCube was a monumental struggle. I would like to see a new Metroid game as much as anyone else but I would rather see Nintendo make the right game rather than simply appealing to the demand of the fans.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

the_dengle said:
Any other studio inside or outside of Nintendo could already have been working on a new non-Prime Metroid game, and Reggie implied as much last year.

When was this, and what did he say exactly? I cannot recall.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

So i was thinking g about the future of the Metriod series after Federation Force and remembered this.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console,"

The Metroid Prime creator said there was no game in development. He also said it would take three years to complete one. We know Retro is working on a game since 2014 and since this was said in 2015 its not Metroid Prime. So unless they started development on a Prime game last year then the next game in the series is launching in at least 2018. Are you serious Nintendo? The last Prime game launched in 2009 that's almost 10 years, and its not like the series sells bad since the game sin the series has sold over 1 million units. This is unacceptable from Nintendo.

Plot twist, what if Metroid Prime NX was already in development for the NX back in late 2014 along with Zelda Wii U and the upcoming 3D Adventure Mario title? :-O

I'm interested in ReCore because it's developed by a lot of the original Metroid Prime team. If that sucks I'll probably sell my Xbox One. As a PC gamer it's running out of exclusives.

Solid machine if you don't have a PC though.

curl-6 said:
the_dengle said:
Any other studio inside or outside of Nintendo could already have been working on a new non-Prime Metroid game, and Reggie implied as much last year.

When was this, and what did he say exactly? I cannot recall.

the_dengle said:
the_dengle said:

June 2014: "So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them." - Shinya Takahashi, aka the boss of both Yoshio Sakamoto (creator of Metroid) and Kensuke Tanabe (producer of Metroid Prime)

June 2015: "I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that [Yoshio] Sakamoto works on." - Kensuke Tanabe, when asked whether Federation Force is the only Metroid game he's working on.

June 2015: "We also know that the best way to launch a (traditional Metroid game) is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years." - Reggie

The implications here are so obvious it pains me to see people whining about how Nintendo won't give us what we want. Sakamoto is currently working on a new 2D Metroid game. It will be revealed shortly before launch, because Metroid is more like Star Fox and less like Zelda.

curl-6 said:

It's Nintendo, they specialize in doing what the opposite of what their fans want.

Besides, I honestly don't think they know what to do with Metroid any more. The series represents everything modern Nintendo shies away from; it's dark, mature, and traditionally both technologically and conceptually ambitious. The Nintendo of today doesn't seem to have the guts to make the grim, gorgeous reboot the series is screaming out for.

Everything this.  Nintendo has lost their ambition and sense of artistry.

That sucks for Metroid fans, honestly :/

Hopefully the series will be revitalized soon better than ever.