By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout 4: Smoother Experience On The PS4 (DF)

This is interesting:

All things put into perspective, Fallout 4 does hold 30fps as a general rule, but drops are noticeable. For example, moving between major city areas is a particular strain on the engine, causing PS4 and Xbox One to drop to 20fps in matching spots on the map. Like clockwork, each platform lurches downward for a spell when passing a threshold in the environment - suggesting assets are being decompressed on the fly for the next location. 30fps is restored relatively quickly on arriving at the next spot, and it's business as usual from there. However it's not an ideal setup when these connecting areas are filled with enemies, and controller response suddenly takes a hit - though PS4 holds a frame-rate advantage in matching runs.

On top of this, Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps. Each has their blips, but having tested two separate Xbox One and PS4 consoles, the results are always the same across the world at large; we get sizeable stutters on Microsoft's console that aren't present on PS4.

For now though, evidence so far suggests those buying Fallout 4 on console should get an overall smoother experience from PS4. It's far from perfect, and we have a suspicion re-tests will be due once each machine receives new patches down the line. As ever, we'll update as new information comes in. Meanwhile, for those with PC as their platform of choice, all the signs look good for a smooth experience even on budget kit. We're currently putting together an in-depth guide to settings tweaks and recommended setups, so expect that in the next couple of days.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

popcorn.jpg

Just need to leave that here while I go read the article!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
popcorn.jpg

Just need to leave that here while I go read the article!

This is set up so perfectly by the previous PS4 Fallout 4 thread on Gaf. The DF thread is going to be more interesting than the game.

The PS5 Exists. 

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 08 April 2019

While PC runs the game at 60 frames. These machines got old very quickly, we still get games render under 30 frames isn't what I call next gen experience.

Just to add the XB1 handles the effects better like Fire, Smoke and Blood the PS4 drops in frames, claimed by DF @4:00. How come you didnt mention this in your thread?

Around the Network

Yeah... I'll get Fallout 4... you know, in a year after a few updates. :)

Hmm, pie.

Wow, wonder what all the gaffers that sold their PS4 and cancelled their PS4 copies will do now.

Hopefully the game will be patched soon on both consoles and gathering from the reviews, it's still a good game.

OttoniBastos said:
0 frames? this has to be some kind of record,right? not even dragon's dogma(which was a slide show when fighting against Ur-Dragon) reached zero(maybe 1fps or 2)

The XB1 is breaking lots of records this Christmas.

The PS5 Exists. 

Azzanation said:

While PC runs the game at 60 frames. These machines got old very quickly, we still get games render under 30 frames isn't what I call next gen experience.

Just to add the XB1 handles the effects better while the PS4 drops in frames, claimed by DF @4:00.

I think the main problem is the outdated engine tbh

Azzanation said:

Just to add the XB1 handles the effects better while the PS4 drops in frames, claimed by DF @4:00.

Pc also runs this game at 10 frames, 15 frames, 20 frames, not at all, and anything between that and 144 fps.

It's not like you can just go and buy any PC and think it'll run Fallout 4 at 60 fps.