By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DLC what are your thoughts on it ??

DLC and pre ordering, is seen as the plague of the industry , however I don't think it's as bad as people make it seem, game development and marketing costs have skyrocked and devs and publishers hve to recoup costs, I have no problem with dlc as long as the game doesn't feel gimped, that it is a full robust experience enhanced by dlc. Pre ordering for me is just an incentive to get gamers to buy a game and get better word of mouth, and like i said as long as the main game is a fleshed out robust experience , i do think arkham knight was overkill andif all the pre order dlc was packed inthe game it would have ,ade a much better experience ( along with better boss battles ( origins beat it badly in this ) , less batmobile , and better closure between the bat and the knight )

what are your thoughts??

edit: as i have seen this game mentioned a bit , uncharted 4 you have to remember the game was delayed so the dlc ( which is always planned and devloped a good deal before release most times ) probably had to be announced earlier than expected

Around the Network

I think they should put all the effort in the game ot make it the best it can be and release dlc like 3-4 months later at a good price unlike now when dlc is planned and being made before the game comes out.

As long as dlc's aren't a rip I enjoy them!

I hate them with every bone in my body. Rather raise prices with 10% on all games and include all future DLCs.

The concept of dlc is great, the execution is mostly poor

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I never buy DLC, I think it's a tax on naivety (to not use the worse words), making gamers pay more on stuff that was most likely cut out of the game to be sold piecemeal.
I am especially alergic to DLC announced six months before the base game is released, that is a straight up money grab. When they do that, I either wait for the complete edition, or buy the base game used and skio on DLC altogether.

They are okay, as long as they aren't Day 1 DLC/Paywall Locked Content and wayyy too overpriced

I also get annoyed if they aren't really 'additional' content and more of a required content though.. :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

DLC as an idea is entirely fine, the execution can be tweaked in certain situations though.

What I find laughable is the notion that some people like to bring, like saying that all DLC is finished at game launch and cut from the game or that announcing DLC before a game is out somehow means that the dev has been working on/planning for the DLC for longer than the devs that don't do something like that. That's straight up stupid.

Today a trailer for a Witcher 3 expansion set for release in October was released, does anybody actually believe that CD Project was able to make that expansion from the ground up in 5 months?

The issue with DLC is that there is no win for the game companies. Games still cost as much today as they did 10 years ago while the cost to make the games has risen significantly. Therefore, companies need to find ways to better monetize the product.

If they raise the price of all games they will see consumer backlash and less overall sales. If they put out DLC they get branded as perpetuating a "straight up money grab" or even worse they get accused of withholding content that would have made it into the game if not for DLC. And of course, the people making these accusations know all of this as they are clearly in the room for the development process.

The biggest issue with DLC right now is that it is still in its infancy period. Companies are still learning what works and what doesn't. As it becomes more standardized it will be a great tool to keep the base price of games down for those of us who only want to experience the original version of the game without all the frills of DLC, while also allowing those who want to further support the company and play in their world the opportunity to do so.

Preorder DLC is okay so as long as it's trivial. Anything else is an issue.

Honest expansions are okay with me. Expansions on release or on disc, or cut from full game is also an issue.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)