By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DLC what are your thoughts on it ??

Emperorbach said:
zorg1000 said:
I have no problem with DLC when it's done right, Mario Kart 8 is a good example, $12 gets u 6 characters, 16 courses, 8 carts. That's a lot of content for a reasonable price.

Some other games however just come off as a cash grab an offer rediculous amounts of DLC that isn't really worth the money. I haven't played it yet but I hear Evolve is guilty of this.

oh wow thats amazing , nintendo do great stuff

Not all Nintendo DLC has been that good, Smash Bros has gotten some criticism for its DLC being too pricey and Fire Emblem Awakening was the same if I remember correctly.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

If its free its good but if its buyable it makes the des lazy and they Butch theyre games for dlc

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

kitler53 said:

there is no definition for a "complete" game.  there is absolutely not way to distinguish what was "cut from the game" from what "wouldn't exists except as a seperate product".   people need to get over the fact that dlc is planned before the core game is released. 

Well there's a difference with dlc that contain different characters to play with, whole new maps or areas or even new game mechanics (burial at sea, freedom cry, undead nightmare, fallout: new vegas dlc etc.) and dlc like Shane from DA: Origins. Of course we can't know for sure if anything is cut from the game or not, but some dlc certainly seem like it is.  And obviously dlc is planned in advance and they start working on it before a game is released.

For anyone doubting that more and more developers actually finish most of the DLC when the game is released: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bungie-explains-why-some-destiny-dlc-is-already-on/1100-6423327/

The same went for evolved and, in my mind, Forza 5. I actually think this is a practice for most developers nowadays since it simplifies the marketing planning.

zorg1000 said:
Emperorbach said:

oh wow thats amazing , nintendo do great stuff

Not all Nintendo DLC has been that good, Smash Bros has gotten some criticism for its DLC being too pricey and Fire Emblem Awakening was the same if I remember correctly.

Fire Emblem Awakening DLC is really costly.  Worth it? it is really up to the gamer if it is worth the price.

Also true on Smash Bros, but it is really hard if MK8 has a great value of its DLC compared to other games.  

At the moment, it is up to the gamers what is really right on the money if it is worth it or not per game. Lets not compare each game as some gamer would value more on a certain game that needs additional content than others.

on disc, Nintendo have done with Splatoon and would on Super Mario Maker, it make sense on how they wanted it, but for me, i'm not a fan of it. it just make sense on how they wanted to execute it but for me i just want it all in.  I hate the most if the season pass which cost a lot and we don't know what are those DLCs included if they are crap or not. Day One season pass with the game, nice.  then the DLCs are coming, they are crap... :'(

Around the Network

When it comes to DLC, I have a couple thoughts:

1. I definitely preferred it in the mid 90s to mid 00s when these things were sold as expansion packs. Game costs 50. Expansion, which adds a good sized chunk of campaign, costs another 20-30. These were often released 6-12 months after the original game. It felt more substantial than the games today that tend to nickel and dime customers.

2. That being said, I will buy content when it makes sense financially for me to do so. How much does it cost? Is the amount of content worth that price? Those are the only two things I take into consideration when deciding to buy or not buy DLC. I don't let principles or biases influence my decision. Is the content worth the money? That's it. There are quite a few people here who let principles get in the way of something that should be a practical decision, and nothing else.

Well, having seen a presentation recently with some EA numbers.... its obvious that DLC will continue to happen. Its more profitable than the main games it seems (wich is not surprising given how overpriced it is).

My stance on it is thus: Its gouging me? Dont buy. Wait for a sale if i really want it.

Its good content, it isnt ripped out of the main game and isnt overpriced? Sure, i'll get it.

DLC is obscenely overpriced though. And publishers wont change that until they see that it stops growing. So, its in our hands to change that malpractice.

I remember back in World at War I would play online and it'd just be regular etc etc, but then i'd see a DLC map in the selection that I didn't have, and its frustrating because you think that there's a whole new map I could play, but due to the greed of a company, I can't unless i fork out cash.

So my view on DLC? Annoying, frustrating and anti-consumer.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

I rarely, rarely buy DLC. It was great in the beginning, especially when it was something like free skins in kameo or something. Somewhere along the way, it started feeling dirty.

Even "good" DLC like that from Mass Effect or Gears of War 2 started feeling disjointed from the rest of the game. I felt hollow and taken advantage of by the Batman DLC. And don't get me started on Day One preorder DLC.

Some times it's done right like Mario Kart out GTA IV. Most of the time? No. Just expensive cash grabs. Things used to be so simple. :(

I think expansions and map packs are OK; things that add on to a game.
I think cosmetics, overpriced lame preorder BS, stupid clothing and other stupid moronic terrible excuses for paid content should go stick it

#1 Amb-ass-ador