By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DLC what are your thoughts on it ??

i like them if PI makes them. hugh DLC 3 years after the game came out and just one person needs the dlc in mp, thats fantastic!

Around the Network

Mostly garbage.

I have no problem with DLC when it's done right, Mario Kart 8 is a good example, $12 gets u 6 characters, 16 courses, 8 carts. That's a lot of content for a reasonable price.

Some other games however just come off as a cash grab an offer rediculous amounts of DLC that isn't really worth the money. I haven't played it yet but I hear Evolve is guilty of this.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The idea is great but utilisation often range from poor to pure garbage. Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors got some really good DLC, so if it's used like that I won't complain.

zorg1000 said:
I have no problem with DLC when it's done right, Mario Kart 8 is a good example, $12 gets u 6 characters, 16 courses, 8 carts. That's a lot of content for a reasonable price.

Some other games however just come off as a cash grab an offer rediculous amounts of DLC that isn't really worth the money. I haven't played it yet but I hear Evolve is guilty of this.

oh wow thats amazing , nintendo do great stuff

Around the Network

I personally don't mind DLC a whole lot, but I feel like the price can be outrageous for the content you get at times.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Good idea but sometimes badly done

I like dlc and I usually buy them if I like the game and it adds to my enjoyment. Expansions like Burial at Sea for Bioshock Infinite and Undead Nightmare for RDR are really worth the buck. Maps and multiplayer dlc is also good as long as it's not pay to win sh*t.

edit. Oh and I'm a sucker for those achievements you can get with dlc.

DerNebel said:
DLC as an idea is entirely fine, the execution can be tweaked in certain situations though.

What I find laughable is the notion that some people like to bring, like saying that all DLC is finished at game launch and cut from the game or that announcing DLC before a game is out somehow means that the dev has been working on/planning for the DLC for longer than the devs that don't do something like that. That's straight up stupid.

Today a trailer for a Witcher 3 expansion set for release in October was released, does anybody actually believe that CD Project was able to make that expansion from the ground up in 5 months?

i find myself agreeing with you a lot today.

there is no definition for a "complete" game.  there is absolutely not way to distinguish what was "cut from the game" from what "wouldn't exists except as a seperate product".   people need to get over the fact that dlc is planned before the core game is released.  apple plans out what peripherals they are going to make for their next iphone/ipad before release.  planning for content is not the same as creating content.

whether it is dlc or the core game or anything else you as a consumer spend your money on the equation is very simple:

.       if percieved value of product is higher than cost of product you can feel good about your purchase.

Depends on the implementation and whether or not DLC is justified for the game.

I have stopped caring about devs/publishers announcing DLC before a game is out, it's just a part of the business. I've stopped caring that the DLC they announced is typically content cut from the game. It's just the price we pay now. All I care about now is how much content is in the game I am going to buy, and does it feel like it's enough to warrant a purchase without feeling obligated to buy DLC or a season pass. Nowadays as more and more publishers and devs are looking to make as much money as possible, game quality be damned, a vast majority of the time I find myself saying no, it's not worth it. So I invest in Gamefly instead.

There are other factors. I passed on Forza 5 because they tried to sell so much DLC before the game was even out, including a lot at day one. You better have a fucking awesome game with a lot of content if you're going to pull some day one DLC bullshit. Also, no pay to win crap. There was a thread recently about this concerning Naughty Dog and Last of Us. A prime example of a dev making premium DLC too good it shifts the gameplay. Also, price. I understand people scoffing at Evolve's DLC prices (the actual DLC, not cosmetic shit). They were a joke (and have since been drastically lowered and fixed for upcoming DLC). Something like what Nintendo did with Mario Kart 8 was amazing. If MicroSony released that DLC I bet it would have cost at least double.

All in all, most DLC is shitty and a waste of money and usually should/could have been in the games day one. So speak with your wallet. Rent or buy used if the DLC leaves a bad taste in your mouths.