By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DLC what are your thoughts on it ??

Unless they are new characters for a fighting game, or some kind of expansion to the story, like "Outlast Whistleblower", I don't care about them.

I like when a DLC comes as a standalone experience, like "Alan Wake's American Nightmare" or "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon". Both are great experiences.

Around the Network

Thought #1: It's usually way overpriced.

Puppyroach said:
For anyone doubting that more and more developers actually finish most of the DLC when the game is released: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bungie-explains-why-some-destiny-dlc-is-already-on/1100-6423327/

The same went for evolved and, in my mind, Forza 5. I actually think this is a practice for most developers nowadays since it simplifies the marketing planning.

Destiny is like the poster child when it comes to how NOT to do DLC.

1. Lots of different packages/options
2. Preorder exclusives
3. Timed exclusive content in the base game
4. Timed exclusive content in paid DLC (lol)
5. Content clearly cut from the game to be made into DLC (this is incredibly obvious when you look at previews/showings of the game)
6. Massively overpriced

Less than a year after the base game was released and even less time than that after its expansions were released, Bungie confirmed you could buy the Taken King expansion for $40. Or, the whole shebang for $60. Which means they value the entire Destiny base game and two expansions at only $20. So then why did people have to pay $100? It's a joke.

gabzjmm23 said:
zorg1000 said:

Not all Nintendo DLC has been that good, Smash Bros has gotten some criticism for its DLC being too pricey and Fire Emblem Awakening was the same if I remember correctly.

Fire Emblem Awakening DLC is really costly.  Worth it? it is really up to the gamer if it is worth the price.

Also true on Smash Bros, but it is really hard if MK8 has a great value of its DLC compared to other games.  

At the moment, it is up to the gamers what is really right on the money if it is worth it or not per game. Lets not compare each game as some gamer would value more on a certain game that needs additional content than others.

on disc, Nintendo have done with Splatoon and would on Super Mario Maker, it make sense on how they wanted it, but for me, i'm not a fan of it. it just make sense on how they wanted to execute it but for me i just want it all in.  I hate the most if the season pass which cost a lot and we don't know what are those DLCs included if they are crap or not. Day One season pass with the game, nice.  then the DLCs are coming, they are crap... :'(

All I'm saying is Mario Kart packs more content for the amount than the others do, not saying those games have bad DLC practices.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If its superficial and trivial stuff, I don;t care, people who buy it want it, and everyone else isn't missing out. If it's substantial content then it needs to expand on the content that came with the original version and not complete and incomplete release product.

I have no issue with a game studio beginning development on DLC before the original game releases, so long as the people who are working on it have completed all work relating to the original title. If resources are diverted off the original product onto DLC then that means we're possibly getting a lesser product at release.

Conceptually DLC (expansion packs) is fine. But it's all about how its implemented by developers and publishers, and often that is not fine.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

DLC for costumes or weapons: forget it
DLC for story additions: I'll take that every day.

The PS5 Exists. 

Day 1 DLC is horseshit.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

I often get extras when I buy games day 1, yet hardly ever bother to put in the codes to unlock the pre-order dlc. The few times I did I didn't use the extras anyway. I didn't bother to download the free Witcher 3 DLC either, not interested.

As for other DLC, it's usually too late. I've already moved on to the next game, no time to look back. The only exceptions being TloU left behind, tracks for GT5, and Wipeout Fury HD. This gen just DC, since I got the season pass. It's easier to jump back into racers.

Even though Dark souls is one of my favorite games with a couple of ng+ rounds under my belt, I still skipped the DLC, too much effort to go back to it. I already have trouble going back to GTA5 after just a month. How do I switch weapons again, oh crap now I have a live grenade in my hand. How do I throw it. Damn it he just dropped it instead, dead. Welcome back.

The other reason for not buying DLC is that games are too long already nowadays. I was quite done with TW3 at the end. I'm still only at 64% in GTA5 , feels like it never ends. In most open world games reaching the end titles feels like a relief, not I want more. It was fun to play but I'm glad its finally over.
Infamous Second son was a good length open world game for me, not feeling like a chore at the end. Yet I still haven't touched First light which has been sitting on my hdd since it came to ps+ in Januari.

So if it's not extra tracks for racing games, then DLC is not for me.

Love it if it's free, and i very rarely ever buy any dlc. It's fine for those who buy it. I always just feel like dlc is stuff that should have already been in the game.

It depends on what the DLC is and if it feels like something that should have been included with the purchase of the game.

Lets take this case by case...
Street Fighter IV costumes - OK
Street Fighter vs Tekken high priced roster DLC on disc - BAD
Call of Duty Season Pass - OK, because there is still a lot of content before DLC.
Oblivion and Skyrim use of DLC - OK
Racing games selling additional cars - OK, assuming the game already has plenty of cars.
Any game that uses DLC to complete story of campaign - EVIL!!! (Except in the case of Fallout 3, because that was actually pretty good.)

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)