By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

leo-j said:
ps now .....

Sony has a product for those who don't want to spend money to play games they already own and that's PS3.

Anyhow, why play PS3 games offline when you can instead stream them and lose progress if you get disconnected? That's clearly the superior option.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

PS4 should be able to do last gen BC, as long as it is X360 games

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

fireburn95 said:
On xb1, for everyone playing a 360 game, they could be playing a brand newly bought x1 game. However xbox needs to push hardware sales over software if they want to prove to Microsoft that they should not be spun off.

Not really, what they (the XBox team) need to show MS is that they can make the XBox community grow, be it on PC or console.

OT: Isn´t PS Now supposed to be Sony´s solution for BC?

Mr Puggsly said:
Aeolus451 said:

My point is after they ditched BC out of the PS3, the price dropped to a level gamers were far more comfortable with.

No, the price dropped because Sony was willing to take massive losses to get PS3 off the ground.

To reduce losses Sony omitting features in future models. The point is the PS2 CPU and GPU were cheap, they weren't the reason PS3 was expensive.

Ultimately, software emulation is the cheapest way to offer BC for old hardware. The Xbox 360 emulator on X1 is hands down the most impressive software emulator we've ever seen.

It would be awesome if PS4 had a PS3 emulator, but maybe the PS3 CPU is just too powerful to emulate. The cell seems to have been a huge mistake for Sony, it was really expensive and didn't benefit games in a significant way (but I'm sure some would disagree). Now nearly 10 years later, emulating that processor seems to be a difficult task.

It would not be awesome if the PS4 had a PS3 emulator. For it to be awesome to the PS fanbase, it would have to be fully BC with all previous gens or be able to emulate games from the PS1, PS2 and PS3. I don't care about a PS3 emulator by itself. Sony doesn't need to or should add BC to the PS4. 

BC has been around a long time and because the xbox one is getting a very limited BC, it's a must have all of a sudden. Guess what, it's not. The wii u is BC with the wii but it's obviously not drawing people to buy the console. If MS really wanted to go that route, they should of designed their console with BC in mind instead of having a limited BC after the fact. Ultimately, it's just another feature that adds limited appeal to the xbox one. 

binary solo said:

If Sony did that, then at least you would only need to have 2 consoles to be fully BC. PS3 does PS1 BC, PS4 with PS2 BC, PS2 classics go on sales on PSN. Done! PS2 should be much easier to emulate so it should not be necessary to do the jiggery-pokery stuff MS needs to do with the 360 games. Which means no need to muck around with getting licencing agreements from 3rd parties. Put the original PS2 game on PSN and away you go. Other than money it shouldn;t even be necessary to put any Sony developer resource into it, a 3rd party can be contracted to do the actual work.

They will only do it if it makes them money so I guess discs are out of discussion for this. Whether they see a potential income which is higher than the costs of developing the emulator, we will see.

But yes, it should be quite easy in terms of performance.

Around the Network

Funny thing is, PS2 classics already where emulated on the PS3. There have even been some tricks and/or workarounds to get original discs working.
Though Sony had no interest to let people play their original games when they released PS2 classics.

A PS2 emulator shouldn't be such a big problem. Question will be, if Sony let's you play your original games then or if they only want to sell digital copies again.

As for 360 BC, MS simply has to do much more to sell their consoles. Otherwise they as well would only sell digital copies or have no BC at all.

If Playstation Now is the reason they aren't doing this then why are PS1 and PS2 games not on it?

They just need to update PS4 to accept the same PS1 and PS2 classics from the stores and the extra money will come rolling in.

Hmm, pie.

With an understanding of the console architecture in question, it doesn't look so easy. The ps2 and ps1 should be penuts to emulate (it is on PCs weaker than the PS4) But while the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 both have architecture much like a PC, it's a different story over at Sony. I'll try to explain.

PS4 has very PC-esk architecture as well (Xbox One and PS4 are very similar in that respect) but the PS3 had a very irregular architecture called the Cell Microprocessor which splits its processing load across one main processing unit and six additional co-processing units.

PS3 was notably difficult to code for, because not only did you need to keep all six of these co-processors busy, you had to keep them precisely equally busy at all times, or the game's systems would fall apart. It was very fiddely.

Emulating the PS3 is extremely difficult because of this very esoteric processing setup. Without that architecture (which is very different to what the PS4 is packing) it needs to be run more or less entirely through software, and even computers superior to the current consoles aren't juiced up enough to be able to handled an entire last gen console running purely on a software level.

Long story short, I'd love to see the PS4 successfully emulate the PS3, but it's not at all likely. PS3's bizarre hardware design has shot Sony in the foot in that aspect. We're seeing early Xbox 360 emulation happening on PC, but we likely won't see successful PS3 emulation for a while. Although I do recall murmurs that somebody had managed to make one that could only play one game (I forget which) and reported that emulating a system for that one game took the same amount of work that it usually takes to emulate an entire console.

I can't explain beyond that point. I understand the architectures, but I have never contructed an emulator myself. But that's my understanding of the situation. Ask around, but the concensus is that that damn Cell Microprocessor is a massive road block.

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It can be done, just not easily. And I doubt they will. If they do it will run like ass, example:

*The actual gameplay parts. not the cutscenes*

Pssst... the frame rate impact is primarily due to the removal of screen tear. The emulator can be improved.

There are games that also run at par with actual 360 hardware. But I guess those don't support your argument?

From the tests I've seen they don't run great, especially AAA games, but it is in beta. I mean if you can link the ones that run on par that would be great.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The Fury said:
If Playstation Now is the reason they aren't doing this then why are PS1 and PS2 games not on it?

They just need to update PS4 to accept the same PS1 and PS2 classics from the stores and the extra money will come rolling in.

Sony knows not many people want to play games without Trophies. Don't think they are in a rush to add it. It would be better to remake them with Trophies for PS4. My PS2 backlog is behind my PS3/360 backlog, because they don't give me e-penis points. I stopped playing Valkyria Chronicles because I heard it was getting a Trophy patch. So I waited and waited... and Sega failed me again. Now I lost interest and it too has been pushed to the end of the line, ahead of the games with no Achievements line. If Sega remakes this for PS4, I'll jizz. As for now, that game is behind 500+ games that I'm too lazy to play.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence