By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

1. it's not that easy
2.. PS now
3. probably not worth the money and time sony has to spend for

Around the Network

There were some great pS2 games but, IMO, a lot of green six title have aged so badly that it really shouldn't be worth the effort. The 360 had BC but only a handful of games from that era were worth playing through. Seventh gen games (remember how bad we used to say it was?) are far more refined.

Mr Puggsly said:
leo-j said:
ps now .....

Sony has a product for those who don't want to spend money to play games they already own and that's PS3.

Anyhow, why play PS3 games offline when you can instead stream them and lose progress if you get disconnected? That's clearly the superior option.

Agree.  I mean, realistically, why would they offer BC?  To help PS4 sales?  Ps4 sells better than crack mixed with hot cakes.  To sell ps2 software?  At least 7th gen games are still in production so M$ can still make money on software sales.  When was the last time a PS2 title sold in significant numbers?

I think BC, outside of rare PSN cases, is just a pipe dream.

There was a rumor that Sony was going to make a PSOne/PS2 emulator with games running at 1080p. Even trophies could be implemented, since Sony has a patent about popping trophies when reaching a certain data on the disc image.

Such emulator shouldn't be too hard to put in place in a PS4. Sony knows those consoles inside out anyway, and the PS2 is already SW emulated on the PS3, since we can play PS2 games like GTA San Andreas.

pbroy said:

Sony knows not many people want to play games without Trophies. Don't think they are in a rush to add it. It would be better to remake them with Trophies for PS4. My PS2 backlog is behind my PS3/360 backlog, because they don't give me e-penis points. I stopped playing Valkyria Chronicles because I heard it was getting a Trophy patch. So I waited and waited... and Sega failed me again. Now I lost interest and it too has been pushed to the end of the line, ahead of the games with no Achievements line. If Sega remakes this for PS4, I'll jizz. As for now, that game is behind 500+ games that I'm too lazy to play.

I don't think people are as obssessed with trophies as you think. PS1 classics never had them,  neither did PS2 classics on PS3 but you don't see Sony not bothering making them work.

I get your point just think it's missed out money.

d21lewis said:

Agree.  I mean, realistically, why would they offer BC?  To help PS4 sales?  Ps4 sells better than crack mixed with hot cakes.  To sell ps2 software?  At least 7th gen games are still in production so M$ can still make money on software sales.  When was the last time a PS2 title sold in significant numbers?

I think BC, outside of rare PSN cases, is just a pipe dream.

Might be a difference between inserting a disc into the PS4 and being able to play the game or just doing a bit of emulation and selling the game as a download. The latter is worth it for Sony surely?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:

I don't think people are as obssessed with trophies as you think. PS1 classics never had them,  neither did PS2 classics on PS3 but you don't see Sony not bothering making them work.

I get your point just think it's missed out money.

Do you know how those sold? Plus, last gen Sony had to go all out to surpass the 360. This gen is different. They don't need to do anything and still outpace the Xbone 2:1 😄

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I'd accept PS1, PS2 and PSP backwards compatibility in fairness. PS3 is 100% never going to happen. Having said that, backwards compatibility for the other platforms is likely to come via PSNow as well unfortunately.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

pbroy said:

Do you know how those sold? Plus, last gen Sony had to go all out to surpass the 360. This gen is different. They don't need to do anything and still outpace the Xbone 2:1 😄

Alas, no i don't. I did wonder that while I was typing. However PS1 discs work on PS3, it's done by emulation (right?) so why not on PS4? The software is probably tiny in comparison to even the OS.

Hmm, pie.

I think you forget how many people said it couldn't be done on the Xbox One. How many people laughed at the notion that Microsoft could do that.

Even after the announcement at E3 - and the demos. People were like, "I'll believe it when I see it." "Fake MS Lies!' and all sorts of silliness.

It wasn't easy to do. The difference between DirectX 9c, on the Xbox 360, and DirectX 11x/12 are very different. It's rather amazing they have pulled it off.

Sony probably could, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing that. Plus I thought they were going to let you stream old games off the cloud with Gaki? (Even-though we KNOW you CAN'T play anything off a cloud - like Halo.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
I think you forget how many people said it couldn't be done on the Xbox One. How many people laughed at the notion that Microsoft could do that.

Even after the announcement at E3 - and the demos. People were like, "I'll believe it when I see it." "Fake MS Lies!' and all sorts of silliness.

It wasn't easy to do. The difference between DirectX 9c, on the Xbox 360, and DirectX 11x/12 are very different. It's rather amazing they have pulled it off.

Sony probably could, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing that. Plus I thought they were going to let you stream old games off the cloud with Gaki? (Even-though we KNOW you CAN'T play anything off a cloud - like Halo.)

I think it can be done.  Even the ps3 was able to do it via software.  I just don't see what they have to gain.  I'd love it, though.  I sold my ps2 when I got a ps3 because I didn't need it anymore.  I found play all of my games on my ps3!  And then, my ps3 broke and I was left with tons of games I can't play (got another ps3 with no BC).

It would be a great feature for me as I actually used it quite often up until the very end.  I just don't see how it benefits Sony.