By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

Kyuu said:
Zappykins said:

Opps, I  made that mistake too.

Sure, any console today could emulate the PS2 - but why bother?

If they did that on the PS4 it makes the PS3 look like even a bigger failure as ‘we are going to forget about that console and pretend it didn’t happen.’

I was really surprised and disappointed at launch both the PS4 and Xbox One didn’t included backwards compatibility – at least for the arcade/digital/smaller games.  I could see God of War 4 or Halo 3 not being because they are so specialized.  But PacMan and Flower?  No reason they weren’t BC.

@bolded

Wow, way to completely misunderstand what I said, jump to conclusions and speculation.  How do you even do that?

If Sony skips the PS3 and make the PS4 only PS2 backward compatible – then it makes the PS3 look like something they want to forget.  The PS2 was very successful, Sony made what they thought would be a low cost powerful chip they called ‘The Cell’ for the PS3 and thought they would totally dominate gaming.  But they didn’t, and it didn’t, and the drop in sales of the PS3 and rise of their competitors is still a sore spot with many.  They completely dropped even making the CPU and went to AMD for the PS4.  So it makes more since to make the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3, but nobody thinks they are working on that.

You may not like it, but most people think backwards compatibility is cool, that’s why the original PS3 had it and why everyone is excited it’s coming to the Xbox One.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
SvennoJ said:

Being 10x more powerful doesn't mean it can emulate the brute force of the single minded cell spe's

You can do more with an 8 core general purpsose cpu, yet you can't emulate the raw 3.2 ghz speed of the cell, no matter how many 1.6ghz cores you have. The Cell spe cores are single threaded, there's nothing to split up. You can alter the code and split it up yourself or use more efficient code instead of using the limited instruction set of the Cell. However an emulator can't do that. It can't know where to split the instruction sets and run them parallel on different cores.

It's not impossible. Building a compiler that converts the code running on the cell to something that can run on one or more slower processors is a possibility. One that will require a lot of time and resources. Sony certainly didn't think that was worth the trouble since they're using actual ps3 hardware for ps now. It's actually 8 ps3s shrunk onto one board. It would be cool to have one of those super ps3s at home :) Lan party in a box.

While I don't think a PS3 emulator is very likely on PS4, doesn't the three cores in Xenon present the same problem? Actually the architecture of both CPU's isn't that different (generally) from what I gather.

The Xenon cores each have 2 hardware threads sharing the available 3.2 ghz. The 6 hardware threads are spread over 6 1.75ghz cores of the XBox One.  The cell is just weird with one 2 way threaded ppe (similar to 1 Xenon core) and 7 additional single threaded sattelite processors (spe).