By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, the price dropped because Sony was willing to take massive losses to get PS3 off the ground.

To reduce losses Sony omitting features in future models. The point is the PS2 CPU and GPU were cheap, they weren't the reason PS3 was expensive.

Ultimately, software emulation is the cheapest way to offer BC for old hardware. The Xbox 360 emulator on X1 is hands down the most impressive software emulator we've ever seen.

It would be awesome if PS4 had a PS3 emulator, but maybe the PS3 CPU is just too powerful to emulate. The cell seems to have been a huge mistake for Sony, it was really expensive and didn't benefit games in a significant way (but I'm sure some would disagree). Now nearly 10 years later, emulating that processor seems to be a difficult task.

It would not be awesome if the PS4 had a PS3 emulator. For it to be awesome to the PS fanbase, it would have to be fully BC with all previous gens or be able to emulate games from the PS1, PS2 and PS3. I don't care about a PS3 emulator by itself. Sony doesn't need to or should add BC to the PS4. 

BC has been around a long time and because the xbox one is getting a very limited BC, it's a must have all of a sudden. Guess what, it's not. The wii u is BC with the wii but it's obviously not drawing people to buy the console. If MS really wanted to go that route, they should of designed their console with BC in mind instead of having a limited BC after the fact. Ultimately, it's just another feature that adds limited appeal to the xbox one. 

Hey, I think a lot of people in the Sony fan would prefer you not speak for them. Limited BC is better than what PS4 has now... PS Now and remasters. Neither fo which allow you to play games you already own.

It doesn't matter if BC draws people to a platform. God forbid Sony do a little fan service.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Zappykins said:
I think you forget how many people said it couldn't be done on the Xbox One. How many people laughed at the notion that Microsoft could do that.

Even after the announcement at E3 - and the demos. People were like, "I'll believe it when I see it." "Fake MS Lies!' and all sorts of silliness.

It wasn't easy to do. The difference between DirectX 9c, on the Xbox 360, and DirectX 11x/12 are very different. It's rather amazing they have pulled it off.

Sony probably could, but I don't see anything pointing to them doing that. Plus I thought they were going to let you stream old games off the cloud with Gaki? (Even-though we KNOW you CAN'T play anything off a cloud - like Halo.)

I think it can be done.  Even the ps3 was able to do it via software.  I just don't see what they have to gain.  I'd love it, though.  I sold my ps2 when I got a ps3 because I didn't need it anymore.  I found play all of my games on my ps3!  And then, my ps3 broke and I was left with tons of games I can't play (got another ps3 with no BC).

It would be a great feature for me as I actually used it quite often up until the very end.  I just don't see how it benefits Sony.

What would they have to gain? The ability to sell PS3 games to PS4 owners.

Also, their fans would gain by having the ability to play notable PS3 games on PS4. But I'm not sure if Sony cares about what benefits their fans these days. 

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

potato_hamster said:
ITT: A whole bunch of people who do not have the slightest clue how insanely difficult it would be to emulate a 9-core PPC based arcitecture that is unlike that of any other mainstream processor on the market of an x86 based CPU. You're acting as if it's something that's either really trivial, or something that could be done effectively if Sony put some time and effort into it.

You could not possibly be more wrong. Emulating the PS3 hardware on the PS4 is more than likely impossible. Literally - impossible. Typically the way most emulators get around this type of challenge is by trying to emulate the timing and instruction processing order on a processor that is so many magnitudes faster than what it is trying to emulate that all possible bottlenecks become negligible since every operation is completed well before it would have on the original processor, and it can simply hold each process back until the proper timing is achieved. The PS4 is not nearly powerful enough to overcome such bottlenecks. In fact don't be surprised if its well over a decade before a PC is able to emulate a PS3 reasonably well.

The xbox 360 processor is a much simpler, far more well known, and far more similar to the x86 architecture of the X1 that it is far and beyond magnitudes easier to emulate than it would be for the PS4 to emulate the PS3. So please spare everyone the Sony hate. Sony absolutely, 100% is not holding back any efforts in backwards compatibility to sell things like PS Now. It's in fact the opposite. They created services like PS Now to try and make up for the fact that PS3 backwards compatibility was quite obviously never going to happen.

Someone should actually read the thread. PS2

It's probably possible even on PS3, or would be if Sony wanted so. They're selling non-remastered PS2 games on Store, so there's definitely some emulation capability there. And the number of games is so high I doubt it's not an actual emulator, more or less.

So yes, it should definitely be possible and probably even relatively easy to have PS2 BC on PS4. It's up to Sony, and they don't seem too eager to do it.

The ignorance in this thread is amazing...360 and x1 both are x86 architecture..PS3 was unique cell technology that is notoriously hard to make games built for it to run on ps4 or any other architecture. Not the same situations. Also x1 is not emulation, they are recompiling games to work on x1, that's why only select titles work, they need to work on each one. People who don;t understand tech should not make tech threads. It is impossible for ps4 to have BC without a huge money losing operation for a feature less then 5% people care about, especially this far into a generation.

Zkuq said:
It's probably possible even on PS3, or would be if Sony wanted so. They're selling non-remastered PS2 games on Store, so there's definitely some emulation capability there. And the number of games is so high I doubt it's not an actual emulator, more or less.

So yes, it should definitely be possible and probably even relatively easy to have PS2 BC on PS4. It's up to Sony, and they don't seem too eager to do it.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Perfect example of what I am talking about. Ask Naughty dog how much work it took to get TLOU working on PS4.

Around the Network
GameWhisperer said:

The ignorance in this thread is amazing...360 and x1 both are x86 architecture..PS3 was unique cell technology that is notoriously hard to make games built for it to run on ps4 or any other architecture. Not the same situations. Also x1 is not emulation, they are recompiling games to work on x1, that's why only select titles work, they need to work on each one. People who don;t understand tech should not make tech threads. It is impossible for ps4 to have BC without a huge money losing operation for a feature less then 5% people care about, especially this far into a generation.

Zkuq said:

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Perfect example of what I am talking about. Ask Naughty dog how much work it took to get TLOU working on PS4.

Another person who didn't read the thread they are criticizing. Or do you not know the difference between the numbers two and three?

edit: Also for somebody who knows what he is talking about you sure don't know that the 360's CPU is PowerPC based and not X86. But I guess everybody else is the ignorant buffoon. lol

Mr Puggsly said:
d21lewis said:

I think it can be done.  Even the ps3 was able to do it via software.  I just don't see what they have to gain.  I'd love it, though.  I sold my ps2 when I got a ps3 because I didn't need it anymore.  I found play all of my games on my ps3!  And then, my ps3 broke and I was left with tons of games I can't play (got another ps3 with no BC).

It would be a great feature for me as I actually used it quite often up until the very end.  I just don't see how it benefits Sony.

What would they have to gain? The ability to sell PS3 games to PS4 owners.

Also, their fans would gain by having the ability to play notable PS3 games on PS4. But I'm not sure if Sony cares about what benefits their fans these days. 

I was talking about PS2 BC. Of course I'd love PS3 BC, too! I could play online with two consoles in the same house for free!

Mr Puggsly said:
Aeolus451 said:

It would not be awesome if the PS4 had a PS3 emulator. For it to be awesome to the PS fanbase, it would have to be fully BC with all previous gens or be able to emulate games from the PS1, PS2 and PS3. I don't care about a PS3 emulator by itself. Sony doesn't need to or should add BC to the PS4. 

BC has been around a long time and because the xbox one is getting a very limited BC, it's a must have all of a sudden. Guess what, it's not. The wii u is BC with the wii but it's obviously not drawing people to buy the console. If MS really wanted to go that route, they should of designed their console with BC in mind instead of having a limited BC after the fact. Ultimately, it's just another feature that adds limited appeal to the xbox one. 

Hey, I think a lot of people in the Sony fan would prefer you not speak for them. Limited BC is better than what PS4 has now... PS Now and remasters. Neither fo which allow you to play games you already own.

It doesn't matter if BC draws people to a platform. God forbid Sony do a little fan service.

So says the xbox fan who thinks it would be awesome for PS4 owners to have just PS3 BC on the PS4. PS Now and remasters are optiional. It's not how it was with MS trying to force gamers to buy into the whole kinect at the beginning of this gen. We don't need BC. PS2's are BC with PS1. The 80gb/ 4 usb model PS3s are BC with the PS2 and PS1. Many of the long time PS owners own those consoles. So BC is pointless for them.

Gamers finally converting over to sony have many options to choose from to play the older games. The PSN store, PS now, remasters and of course, buying the old hardware and copies of games (it's expensive and I don't recommend doing that unless you can get a really good deal). All of those are optional. 

Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

So says the xbox fan who thinks it would be awesome for PS4 owners to have just PS3 BC on the PS4. PS Now and remasters are optiional. It's not how it was with MS trying to force gamers to buy into the whole kinect at the beginning of this gen. We don't need BC. PS2's are BC with PS1. The 80gb/ 4 usb model PS3s are BC with the PS2 and PS1. Many of the long time PS owners own those consoles. So BC is pointless for them.

Gamers finally converting over to sony have many options to choose from to play the older games. The PSN store, PS now, remasters and of course, buying the old hardware and copies of games (it's expensive and I don't recommend doing that unless you can get a really good deal). All of those are optional. 

You're right.  And even though this thread is about PS2 BC, if Sony suddenly offered some form of built in backwards comp for free via a system update, even to people who don't need it--even to that 40% of PS4 owners that Sony says never owned a PS3--how could that possibly be a negative?

d21lewis said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sony has a product for those who don't want to spend money to play games they already own and that's PS3.

Anyhow, why play PS3 games offline when you can instead stream them and lose progress if you get disconnected? That's clearly the superior option.

Agree.  I mean, realistically, why would they offer BC?  To help PS4 sales?  Ps4 sells better than crack mixed with hot cakes.  To sell ps2 software?  At least 7th gen games are still in production so M$ can still make money on software sales.  When was the last time a PS2 title sold in significant numbers?

I think BC, outside of rare PSN cases, is just a pipe dream.

- more PS+ games

- more money from PSN sales

- steam offers a variety of old sofware. What sense does it have? Because its not about short term but eco system thinking. PS4, PS2 and PS1 probably have something like 20,000 games together

- a lot of people would buy a PS4 if it could play PS2 and PS1 games simple because it can, and if its region free even people with original hardware would buy it because its too expensive importing japanese PS2 for example then buying this overall package called PS4