By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Xb one can do emulation BC for 360, then PS4 should be able to easily do emulation BC for PS2

Ruler said:
d21lewis said:

Agree.  I mean, realistically, why would they offer BC?  To help PS4 sales?  Ps4 sells better than crack mixed with hot cakes.  To sell ps2 software?  At least 7th gen games are still in production so M$ can still make money on software sales.  When was the last time a PS2 title sold in significant numbers?

I think BC, outside of rare PSN cases, is just a pipe dream.

- more PS+ games

- more money from PSN sales

- steam offers a variety of old sofware. What sense does it have? Because its not about short term but eco system thinking. PS4, PS2 and PS1 probably have something like 20,000 games together

- a lot of people would buy a PS4 if it could play PS2 and PS1 games simple because it can, and if its region free even people with original hardware would buy it because its too expensive importing japanese PS2 for example then buying this overall package called PS4

Well I did say "outside of PSN"!  I can see them releasing some games as downloads.  I don't see disc support, though.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Ruler said:

- more PS+ games

- more money from PSN sales

- steam offers a variety of old sofware. What sense does it have? Because its not about short term but eco system thinking. PS4, PS2 and PS1 probably have something like 20,000 games together

- a lot of people would buy a PS4 if it could play PS2 and PS1 games simple because it can, and if its region free even people with original hardware would buy it because its too expensive importing japanese PS2 for example then buying this overall package called PS4

Well I did say "outside of PSN"!  I can see them releasing some games as downloads.  I don't see disc support, though.

why not? why some? PS4 is mroe than powerfull to emulate PS1 and PS2

d21lewis said:
Aeolus451 said:

So says the xbox fan who thinks it would be awesome for PS4 owners to have just PS3 BC on the PS4. PS Now and remasters are optiional. It's not how it was with MS trying to force gamers to buy into the whole kinect at the beginning of this gen. We don't need BC. PS2's are BC with PS1. The 80gb/ 4 usb model PS3s are BC with the PS2 and PS1. Many of the long time PS owners own those consoles. So BC is pointless for them.

Gamers finally converting over to sony have many options to choose from to play the older games. The PSN store, PS now, remasters and of course, buying the old hardware and copies of games (it's expensive and I don't recommend doing that unless you can get a really good deal). All of those are optional. 

You're right.  And even though this thread is about PS2 BC, if Sony suddenly offered some form of built in backwards comp for free via a system update, even to people who don't need it--even to that 40% of PS4 owners that Sony says never owned a PS3--how could that possibly be a negative?

Sorry,  a good chunk of my line of thinking bled into my posts in this thread. Anyway, one of my points earlier was that it would be awesome if they made the PS4 BC with PS1/PS2 both instead of either one by themselves or the PS3. I don't think it's worthwhile to make just one PS gen BC by itself.

Just because the xbox one is getting limited BC with 360 games doesn't mean sony should follow suit with the PS4. Microsoft's actions with the xbox one at this point put barely any pressure on sony to follow suit. It's not the market leader so it doesn't set any standard.

If enough playstation fans ask for BC with any of the PS gens, sony will deliver. Honestly, I haven't seen many from the sony camp asking for BC before or after MS made the annoucement about the xbox having limted 360 BC, but I don't frequent many forums. 

Aeolus451 said:

Just because the xbox one is getting limited BC with 360 games doesn't mean sony should follow suit with the PS4. Microsoft's actions with the xbox one at this point put barely any pressure on sony to follow suit. It's not the market leader so it doesn't set any standard.

Got it, the market leader should ignore great features the competition has.

Well that's good for MS I guess, its reasons like that there is a place in the market for Xbox still.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:
Mr Puggsly said:

What would they have to gain? The ability to sell PS3 games to PS4 owners.

Also, their fans would gain by having the ability to play notable PS3 games on PS4. But I'm not sure if Sony cares about what benefits their fans these days. 

I was talking about PS2 BC. Of course I'd love PS3 BC, too! I could play online with two consoles in the same house for free!

WELL... Sony already has a great PS2 Emulator on PS3. Which is used for PS2 Classics in the PS Store. Digital Foundry actually did an article on it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3

The results are mixed from performance being a little better or a little worse.

Ultimately, Sony already did the work in creating a PS2 emulator but simply aren't making the effort to port it to PS4.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Hey, I think a lot of people in the Sony fan would prefer you not speak for them. Limited BC is better than what PS4 has now... PS Now and remasters. Neither fo which allow you to play games you already own.

It doesn't matter if BC draws people to a platform. God forbid Sony do a little fan service.

So says the xbox fan who thinks it would be awesome for PS4 owners to have just PS3 BC on the PS4. PS Now and remasters are optiional. It's not how it was with MS trying to force gamers to buy into the whole kinect at the beginning of this gen. We don't need BC. PS2's are BC with PS1. The 80gb/ 4 usb model PS3s are BC with the PS2 and PS1. Many of the long time PS owners own those consoles. So BC is pointless for them.

Gamers finally converting over to sony have many options to choose from to play the older games. The PSN store, PS now, remasters and of course, buying the old hardware and copies of games (it's expensive and I don't recommend doing that unless you can get a really good deal). All of those are optional. 

Hey, I'm simply saying having the option to use PS3 games you own either physically or digitally would be a nice feature on PS4. This shouldn't even be a debate. I have a large collection of PS3 games that I have yet to play, it would be great if atleast some of the notable games were PS4 compatible. The X1 BC doesn't support every game and never will, but most importantly it will support many notable games.

Some people use PS Now on their PS4. But a great emulator like X1 has for 360 games is a better option, especially if you can use games you already own.

However, I don't blame Sony for not offering a PS3 emulator because they used a very powerful CPU on that console. The Xbox 360 CPU was less powerful thus easier to emulate.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
d21lewis said:
Mr Puggsly said:

What would they have to gain? The ability to sell PS3 games to PS4 owners.

Also, their fans would gain by having the ability to play notable PS3 games on PS4. But I'm not sure if Sony cares about what benefits their fans these days. 

I was talking about PS2 BC. Of course I'd love PS3 BC, too! I could play online with two consoles in the same house for free!

WELL... Sony already has a great PS2 Emulator on PS3. Which is used for PS2 Classics in the PS Store. Digital Foundry actually did an article on it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps2-classics-on-ps3

The results are mixed from performance being a little better or a little worse.

Ultimately, Sony already did the work in creating a PS2 emulator but simply aren't making the effort to port it to PS4.

I mentioned the PS3's PS2 emulator earlier in the thread, too!

Remastered versions of classic games will bring in more sales and more profits for company. Why would they bother with emulators to play old games on new console? Classic games can be downloaded online and saved to the consoles HDD.

I will just be happy if the PS4 can play the PS1/PS2 classics that are already available on PSN. At least that would be something -_-

it isn't possible, entirely different architectures and the Cell BBE is a remarkably beefy processor despite being close to 10 years old.