By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

As revolutionary as the led bar on DS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Nintendo, I love you. Stop talking!

They should probably stop talking until the console cycle is over. I mean, I know they're having trouble being a strong player in the home console market at this point, but they seriously need to give credit where it is due. Things like Morpheus and HoloLens definitely look extremely innovative as far as home consoles are concerned.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

...I agree? Why are people even contesting this?

Ka-pi96 said:
I really don't get all the hate the gamepad gets. Sure it doesn't bring much new to gaming, nothing that really enhances the experience at least, but it certainly isn't a bad controller either. Having used all the controllers for this gen I can say that I barely noticed a difference moving from one to another. Sure the gamepad is bigger than other controllers but once you're playing a game you don't really notice that anymore and for all intents and purposes it works the same as any other controller.

My point about it isn't really that it's a bad controller, but that doesn't make it a good idea from Nintendo's side, as it pushed up the price of the Wii U, which cost them a lot of sales.

Around the Network

Even if it went wrong, it is true.

nintendo needs to remember that you can innovate with software, not just hardware.

I can make noise in some Xbox One games (and the P.T. game/demo) and the game will hear me. Is that innovation?

it's a hinderance. you can't swing it around like a tennis racket! and if it breaks, your shit out of luck!

Second screen came along late 7th gen with tablet integration. Nintendo took that idea and slapped an actual controller around it. If that's the pinnacle of innovation this generation then we're screwed.

Surely getting VR into a home consumer ready state is an innovation at least on par with the gamepad. But VR is probably more innovative since there are no pre-existing consumer devices, whereas tablets existed quite a bit before Wii U. It will probably prove to be less popular than Wii U, but it's still an innovation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix