By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

I like playing on my screen, sorry Nintendo

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

hes not lying, hes actually speaking fact. However...

Innovation doesnt equal necessary.

While the idea was pretty innovative, it wasnt exactly necessary or utilized properly.

So in the end it doesnt even matter really lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Samus Aran said:
fatslob-:O said:
I hope they know that VR exists ...

Just how insecure are Nintendo going to keep acting ?

So innovative that everyone and their cat has been doing it.

That's what tend to happen to innovative things lol, case and point motion gaming

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
Samus Aran said:
fatslob-:O said:
I hope they know that VR exists ...

Just how insecure are Nintendo going to keep acting ?

So innovative that everyone and their cat has been doing it.

That's what tend to happen to innovative things lol, case and point motion gaming

No, that's what tends to happen to succesful innovative things. Something which VR gaming has yet to prove.

VR is hardly an innovative tech or concept, it's just that the technology isn't cheap enough yet to make it mainstream. Nintendo did VR years ago already. And it clearly was way too early.

Basically copied the Vita's Remote Play feature. 

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
hes not lying, hes actually speaking fact. However...

Innovation doesnt equal necessary.

While the idea was pretty innovative, it wasnt exactly necessary or utilized properly.

So in the end it doesnt even matter really lol

Again, different control schemes don't bring innovations to games neccesarily. Actually innovation in games is something Nintendo hasn't shown at all so far this gen.

Well, there'S Splatoon, if coloring the environment (aka. shooting at everything) is your big innovation. But almost everything in that game including gyro aiming would have been possible with the Dual Shock 3.

Nintendo has made good games so far. But they havn't been innovative with their games. Even Mario Maker isn't all that new. Games with editors have been around for decades and LittleBig Planet, though not having that great controls, has a way more powerful editor. Not to talk about stuff like Project Spark.

Lawlight said:

Basically copied the Vita's Remote Play feature. 

I doubt Nintendo has heard of the Vita. ;)

I don't think you're even remotely aware how long R&D takes btw.

Exactly, that's not an innovation, it's the Vita's Remote play, already available with the PS3. They even used it as much as Sony use the Vita!

So nothing new here, just some PR stunt about an already dead console, to comfort themselves and the buyers.

Moderated by - PwerlvlAmy

No, Because it has not changed how mainstream players play games today. A true innovation permanently changes the landscape. Not even the original Wii permanently changed the gaming landscape.

Who's doing motion control these days? Basically nobody. Who's going to use a gamepad for 'enhanced' gameplay in the future? Basically noboby.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I knew this is gonna cause some hoopla when I read the article's title, lol.