By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348
dharh said:

No, Because it has not changed how mainstream players play games today. A true innovation permanently changes the landscape. Not even the original Wii permanently changed the gaming landscape.

Who's doing motion control these days? Basically nobody. Who's going to use a gamepad for 'enhanced' gameplay in the future? Basically noboby.

Don't make up your own definitions please.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
dharh said:

No, Because it has not changed how mainstream players play games today. A true innovation permanently changes the landscape. Not even the original Wii permanently changed the gaming landscape.

Who's doing motion control these days? Basically nobody. Who's going to use a gamepad for 'enhanced' gameplay in the future? Basically noboby.

Don't make up your own definitions please.

Innovation is subjective dude.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:

Innovation is subjective dude.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

Innovation just means doing something differently or a new concept it's not subjective.

Pavolink said:
Luke888 said:
so innovative that Nintendo themselve didn't exploit it, and we're talking about Nintendo, the most creative of the gaming companies out there...

According to them, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox Zero will show the potential of the Gamepad...

Then they should have made them system launch titles.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

mZuzek said:
captain carot said:

Well, there'S Splatoon, if coloring the environment (aka. shooting at everything) is your big innovation.

Meh. I used to think this was the big "thing" about Splatoon, but after playing the game you realize that's not really what makes Splatoon Splatoon.

The defining mechanic is easily the squid transformation. It, along with its properties (can't shoot, vulnerable, fast, hide in own ink, ink regen, climb up walls), is really what sets Splatoon apart and gives the game so much depth within its gameplay.

Funny thing is, i don't think that is really new, it just looks different. Other games have had stuff like nano suit modes (fast but vulnerable is one mode) cloaking deivces and so on. To me it is a variation of things i've seen in lots of shooters over the past decade, though it looks nice and has a slightly different feel.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

“That’s our real secret sauce is [the Gamepad], it is the only real innovation in this console cycle, it’s the only real new idea or game experience and with Super Mario Maker it shows you how magical it is to create levels with that Gamepad. It’s so easy and intuitive.”

I like the tablet controller (even if I like the Wii U Pro Controller, the DS4 and the Xbox controllers a little bit more), it is a comfortable controller with many input options.

But it is not a "real new idea" and it is not an innovation, it is the evolution of the DS (2004) with bigger displays: Two displays, the lower one is a resisitive touchscreen, directional input (stick/digi-pad) on the left of the touchscreen, buttons on the right of the touchscreen, gyro sensor.

Other innovation-claims in this thread:

- downloading or installing other games/patches in the background: thanks to multitasking, this has been possible on PCs for decades, with Steam it got much more comfortable... finally the 8th gen consoles joined the party! I love the feature, but it is no innovation.

- game already playable after a partial download/install: I love that feature on PS4, kudos to Sony for integration it in the system. But again... no innovation. Some PC games already had similar systems, especially the Battle.net-launcher and many MMORPGs. Even many expansions / DLCs / in-app-purchases work that way: The game (or game demo) is playable with the core data, the (optional) rest of the data gets downloaded and installed later.

- SharePlay: lending games to friends or family is not a very new idea. First physical sharing, later account sharing, now it can be done by stream the video and input data... it is an evolution, not an innovation. If physical and account sharing "don't count": Steam's "Family Sharing" started a year earlier, Microsoft has also talked about it for the XBO in 2013, OnLive offered game sharing since 2011: http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/22/onlive-lets-you-share-a-game-with-a-simple-link/

- RemotePlay: getting access to another of your devices within the same network or even from anywhere in the world has also been possible for many years (of course both client and server need internet access). The PSP could access the PS3 content but it was a very limited access. On PC, there are is a lot of remote access software and protocols available since many years (the client doesn't even have to be a PC)... my favorite is Splashtop. The RemotePlay between PS4 and Vita/Xperia works pretty good... but again: evolution, not innovation.

- WiiU's "off-TV": sending a video signal of an entertainment device to another display (because you prefer some games/movies on a bigger display or on the small screen of your mobile device) in the same or adjoining room has also been done for decades. In the past you needed a cable for that, but for many years it is also possible wireless. It's very well executed on Wii U (almost lag-free, the range could be better)... but again: evolution, not innovation.

- taking screenshots: I absolutely love that feature on all devices that support it... but no innovation, it has been around for decades

- video capture: I also like that feature on the new consoles... but no innovation, it has been around for many years

- sharing game videos on online platforms: very easy and comfortable on the new consoles... but again: evolution, not innovation.

I think VR/AR would beg to differ.

All three major console developers are pushing innovative or previously underutilized ideas.
Microsoft is pushing AR and cloud computing.
Sony is pushing game streaming (even if you don't like PS Now), VR, and share play.
Nintendo is is pushing dual-screen gaming and asymmetric multiplayer.
Note that not all of these ideas are completely new, what with dual screen gaming beginning with DS, and AR and VR existing for years, but it is major push from these companies that brings these ideas into the mainstream.

Maybe it's just me, but I do wish NoA would lose its sore loser attitude. It really doesn't seem like good PR. 

Samus Aran said:
Lawlight said:

Basically copied the Vita's Remote Play feature. 

I doubt Nintendo has heard of the Vita. ;)

I don't think you're even remotely aware how long R&D takes btw.

Should have said PSP. I'm pretty sure they've heard of that one.

It truly would have been if they had made the Wii U system strong enough to handle multiple GamePads at once for some games in multiplayer in my opinion. As it is now it is very nice and unlike the competition can feel like a drastically different experience from previous home systems rather then just a new supped up version.