By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

Innovation isn't always good, just like revolutionary things.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

They aren't even qualified to be part of this console cycle when their console is practially last gen hardware. If Wii U is 8th gen, then PS4/X1 must be 9th gen. 

teamsilent13 said:

They aren't even qualified to be part of this console cycle when their console is practially last gen hardware. If Wii U is 8th gen, then PS4/X1 must be 9th gen. 

Generations aren't decided by power. Otherwise PC must be the 50th gen.

Samus Aran said:
teamsilent13 said:

Generations aren't decided by power. Otherwise PC must be the 50th gen.

This.

PS2 was the weakest console of the 7th gen and it was still considered 7th gen, power doesn't have anything to do with generations.

They are not INCORRECT in that statement. Nothing the competition has done has really screamed innovation this gen. Nintendo, as usual, does something "different". And while you can go back and forth all day about whether or not Nintendo should have gone with the GamePad concept, at the end of the day, it is a pretty innovative thing.

That doesn't stop the Wii U from not selling great, which is obvious. But, quite frankly, that has never had anything to do with the GamePad. At all. It's had everything to do with lack of system support, and software droughts. If Wii U had more titles, and BETTER NA advertising from Day 1, it would likely be selling fine as a console. As it is, it has a decent retail library, and a thriving and pretty great digital platform in the eShop.

So yeah, the GamePad is innovative. It's the Swiss Army Knife of controllers, and I personally think it's better that gamers and developers AREN'T force fed motion or touch controls with EVERY Wii U game. It's nice to have all of the controller's features as options. Not mandatory. So many Wii games would have been better, especially the earlier ones, if they hadn't had tacked on, poorly contrived motion controls as the ONLY control option. I personally got rid of 2-4 games in that early Launch-08 period, simply because the tacked on waggle controls being the only option kind of ruined what could have been otherwise good games. So for me, for Wii U to mostly NOT have forced, tacked on gimmick controls, but to have those things as an available OPTION? It's nice.

Plus, off-tv play rocks, period.

So you can certainly argue that Xbone or PS4 are better systems, are getting better games, whatever. There is room for those arguments to be made, for sure. But as far as innovation goes, Nintendo's statement is basically correct.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
They are not INCORRECT in that statement. Nothing the competition has done has really screamed innovation this gen. Nintendo, as usual, does something "different". And while you can go back and forth all day about whether or not Nintendo should have gone with the GamePad concept, at the end of the day, it is a pretty innovative thing.

That doesn't stop the Wii U from not selling great, which is obvious. But, quite frankly, that has never had anything to do with the GamePad. At all. It's had everything to do with lack of system support, and software droughts. If Wii U had more titles, and BETTER NA advertising from Day 1, it would likely be selling fine as a console. As it is, it has a decent retail library, and a thriving and pretty great digital platform in the eShop.

So yeah, the GamePad is innovative. It's the Swiss Army Knife of controllers, and I personally think it's better that gamers and developers AREN'T force fed motion or touch controls with EVERY Wii U game. It's nice to have all of the controller's features as options. Not mandatory. So many Wii games would have been better, especially the earlier ones, if they hadn't had tacked on, poorly contrived motion controls as the ONLY control option. I personally got rid of 2-4 games in that early Launch-08 period, simply because the tacked on waggle controls being the only option kind of ruined what could have been otherwise good games. So for me, for Wii U to mostly NOT have forced, tacked on gimmick controls, but to have those things as an available OPTION? It's nice.

Plus, off-tv play rocks, period.

So you can certainly argue that Xbone or PS4 are better systems, are getting better games, whatever. There is room for those arguments to be made, for sure. But as far as innovation goes, Nintendo's statement is basically correct.

So are the oculus rift, project Morpheus, hololens, customizable controllers, and share play features not innovative because the wii u controller has a touchscreen?

"The wii u gamepad is an innovation this console cycle" - this is an okay phrase, makes sense, and is a bold but not overconfident claim.

"The wii u gamepad is the ONLY innovation this console cycle" - this is a pathetic 'look at me' jab directed at competitors in hopes of belittling their hard work...really sad and pathetic

Is it an innovation? Yes, but it's not even close to ve a revolution like the original Wii was. The Wii revolutionized the market and brought new audiences to gaming. The gamepad and it's concept were just too complex, maybe totally unnecesary.

Imagine Minecraft or an RTS with this thing