By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

Nintendo: ‘The Wii U GamePad Is The Only Real Innovation This Console Cycle’

Scott Moffitt, The Executive VP of Sales at Nintendo of America, has told The Examiner that he believes that the Wii U GamePad is the only real innovation in the current console cycle. While that may be true, many would argue that it has been under-utilised and innovative ideas have been few and far between. Moffitt says that will all change with Super Mario Maker which seems well suited to the Wii U GamePad. Here’s what Mr. Moffitt had to say.

“We’ve proven time and time again, we make great games, they get great users scores as well as critical scores. With games like Star Fox and Mario Maker, we are continuing to show the promise of the Gamepad and, candidly, early on we probably didn’t showcase the promise of the Gamepad as well as we could have,”

“As developers have gotten more comfortable with the technology, now you’re seeing games that really leverage the power of the Gamepad. I think that will invite people to take a second look at Wii U,” said Moffitt.

“That’s our real secret sauce is [the Gamepad], it is the only real innovation in this console cycle, it’s the only real new idea or game experience and with Super Mario Maker it shows you how magical it is to create levels with that Gamepad. It’s so easy and intuitive.”

“Then with Star Fox Zero it’s showing how the Gamepad can give you a different view into your game world. You are piloting the ‘R Wing’ and you’re getting a cockpit view on the Gamepad. I think those types of experiences may help us propel the system to new heights,”

Sources:

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/08/11/nintendo-the-wii-u-gamepad-is-the-only-real-innovation-this-console-cycle/

http://www.examiner.com/article/nintendo-discusses-wii-u-gamepad-only-real-innovation-this-console-cycle

It's so innovative that Nintendo is afraid of it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

The DS did it first.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

so innovative that Nintendo themselve didn't exploit it, and we're talking about Nintendo, the most creative of the gaming companies out there...

FunFan said:
The DS did it first.

Do you mean the dual screen? I guess Nintendo is aware and that's why they are porting DS games to Wii U VC.

Luke888 said:
so innovative that Nintendo themselve didn't exploit it, and we're talking about Nintendo, the most creative of the gaming companies out there...

According to them, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox Zero will show the potential of the Gamepad...

Around the Network

and it cost you the whole cycle.. gg I guess?

Innovative yes but most gamers wanted to play with a normal controller.

Pavolink said:
FunFan said:
The DS did it first.

Do you mean the dual screen? I guess Nintendo is aware and that's why they are porting DS games to Wii U VC.

Dual screens and touch controls. I meant that it really isn't an innovation. Just a repeat of a previously sucessful Idea.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

LurkerJ said:
and it cost you the whole cycle.. gg I guess?

A price they are willing to pay.

Nintendo will pull a PS3.

I can dream right? Right??? Anybody????