By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348

The gamepad was an innovation, but one that failed to catch on and matter. The only innovation this generation that actually changed the game was the inclusion of social features. Being able to save and upload game clips, pics... and being able to stream yourself to others while playing, those are truly meaningful innovations.

The gamepad is innovative by definition only.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
That is kind of the problem. Your average 'core' gamer wants the exact same thing that they have had since 1995, but just with fancier graphics and voice chat so they can tell people how superior they are. This is where Nintendo messed up.

If that were true, everyone would be a pc gamer.

Nintendo messed up more times than I care to keep track of. Going full out on an "innovation" while ignoring the one everyone else is invested in (VR) is just one of them.

At the moment probl yes.

But Hololens and Morpheus will be way more innovative

It's not a true innovation if it doesn't catch on and improves a market or product permanently. Even the Wii's motion controls being an real innovation is debatable since alltough it was succesfull it did not change the gaming market in the long run.

So by that logic since Wii-U's gamepad didn't even catch on i wouldn't call it an innovation.

Luke888 said:
so innovative that Nintendo themselve didn't exploit it, and we're talking about Nintendo, the most creative of the gaming companies out there...

Splatoon and Zelda: WW HD made great use of it and Super Mario Maker seems to be another good example. The gamepad definitely has a lot of untapped potential and is imo the best controller this generation. Game companies just aren't creative enough to make good use of it.

Around the Network

Yes it is. Doesn't help Nintendo much though, so that's really just a nice spin on things.

Most games have off tv play which is pretty darn useful,then there is the NFC for Amiibo, which most people seem to forget, so that's one success the gamepad can be atributed toward. Here are a list of games I think utilize the gamepad in cool ways as well for good measure.
Nintendoland
Mario Party 10
Windwaker-(nothing special, but item management is so streamlined and effortless)
Deus Ex
Need for Speed U
Game and Wario
Batman arkham city
Splatoon
Wonderful 101
Zombi U
Lego City Undercover
Captain Toad
Kirby Rainbow paintbrush
Affordable Space Adventures
Art academy

Wii Party U

As you can see, the gamepad is reasonably well represented. I think its a good innovation that I have personally enjoyed but hasn't captured the minds of the mainstream.

The gamepad was a stupid idea that would have never gotten past a focus group or even basic market research. Which means that they probably don't do the basic market research a large company should do to ensure that risks are taken properly.

Samus Aran said:
Luke888 said:
so innovative that Nintendo themselve didn't exploit it, and we're talking about Nintendo, the most creative of the gaming companies out there...

Splatoon and Zelda: WW HD made great use of it and Super Mario Maker seems to be another good example. The gamepad definitely has a lot of untapped potential and is imo the best controller this generation. Game companies just aren't creative enough to make good use of it.

Until Super Mario Maker, the best use of the gamepad is done through zombiu and that's gonna be ported, so I doubt its a matter of not trying to be creative. Rather touchscreen potential has been exhausted vigorously through the ds, vita, tablet, and touch phone days.

Magnus said:
The gamepad was a stupid idea that would have never gotten past a focus group or even basic market research. Which means that they probably don't do the basic market research a large company should do to ensure that risks are taken properly.

I think the Wii U tablet in the announcement at E3 2011 was more cool.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile