By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: The Wii U Gamepad is the only real innovation this console cycle

Gamepad is the only real innovation this gen

Yes, because... 188 54.02%

No, because... 160 45.98%

Total:348
Ruler said:
guiduc said:

No.

25 million vs 10 million think differentley

As someone in both camps I'd have to say I love the pad. Dual and touch screen may not be the innovation but lag free wireless connection is. Hope they build on it with their next home console. 

Around the Network
Protendo said:

Anything on the Wii-U could be done on the 3DS. The real innovation is VR!

I recall some who bemoaned the 'waggle' mechanics of the wiimote. Seeing this image I must wonder what their thoughts on this might be.

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:
I just want a regular controller that's comfortable to use for many hours and not a gimmicky controller.....err I meant "innovative controller". The button layout is too awkward to ever feel comfortable.

You know, the Gamepad is the first controller that achieved a perfect grip for games that are controlled with the analog stick and games that are controlled with the d-pad alike.

That may be the case for you but it wasn't for me. It felt like an alien designed it. 

I'll take refinement over "innovation" especially when that innovation is served up hardware/architecture that is lagging behind.

gatito said:
The gamepad is awesome, ahead of its time. It's a real shame that some people weren't smart enough to see its greatness.

Nintendo included, apparently.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Aeolus451 said:
I just want a regular controller that's comfortable to use for many hours and not a gimmicky controller.....err I meant "innovative controller". The button layout is too awkward to ever feel comfortable.

I found the Gamepad to be very comfortable. Even the sticks felt good.

The placement of where the right analog stick is and where the X/B/A/Y are reversed. It's the same with the pro controller. Nintendo is so intent on being a hipster or different that it works against them. 

Just proves that innovative ideas aren't neccesarily good ideas.... =_=

Ka-pi96 said:
I really don't get all the hate the gamepad gets. Sure it doesn't bring much new to gaming, nothing that really enhances the experience at least, but it certainly isn't a bad controller either. Having used all the controllers for this gen I can say that I barely noticed a difference moving from one to another. Sure the gamepad is bigger than other controllers but once you're playing a game you don't really notice that anymore and for all intents and purposes it works the same as any other controller.

Pretty much this.

I do like the ability to play games while using the television for other things or without even needing a tv. Also, typing with the gamepad is much easier and less painful than typing with a d-pad.

We don't need innovations in hardware so much as we need innovations in software.

Now, is the gamepad the most innovative thing this gen? I don't know, how do you measure "innovation"? To me, it's not. I just haven't seen any game until now that wouldn't be possible without it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Ka-pi96 said:
KLAMarine said:

I do like the ability to play games while using the television for other things or without even needing a tv. Also, typing with the gamepad is much easier and less painful than typing with a d-pad.

Oh yeah, that's very true. Don't often need to type on consoles, but doing it with other controllers is a real hassle at least the gamepad fixes that

I do it regularly since I like playing videos on my television from YouTube and such via my WiiU as well as surfing the web.

OdinHades said:
We don't need innovations in hardware so much as we need innovations in software.

Now, is the gamepad the most innovative thing this gen? I don't know, how do you measure "innovation"? To me, it's not. I just haven't seen any game until now that wouldn't be possible without it.

Yes, Splatoon being a recent one with its gyro aiming and the manner in which projectiles are treated in the game. I understand the DS3/DS4 has a gyro in it but I wonder how many shooters take advantage of it or at least try to.